Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is there asbestos in this flooring? (see pic)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doright View Post
    Just pull it up and throw it in the dumpster. You are overthinking.
    This! No need to create a problem, where there is not a problem.

Comment

Why not leave it and just lay over it.

Comment

Originally posted by dhall1414 View Post
        it sounds like the consensus is that it's not impossible that asbestos could be there, but more likely than not it's not there. but just in case it is there i should spray the underside of the sheet flooring as i remove it to prevent dust from forming. Right
        Right.

I don’t know the answer to your 2nd question. I personally would have left it alone and overlaid the new flooring.

Comment

There is no way to tell without testing.

I saw a guy dying of asbestosis about ten years ago …. it’s not pretty.

Don’t listen to the advice given here.

Comment

Had that vinyl in my 1982 mobile home.

Comment

That was the chit back in the day

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                There is no way to tell without testing.

I saw a guy dying of asbestosis about ten years ago …. it’s not pretty.

Don’t listen to the advice given here.
                Agreed.

Comment

Always presume that it has asbestos. Use the wet method as mentioned above and wear a half face respirator. 3m has some good ones. If it becomes friable and you ingest one of those fibers, you could be looking at mesothelioma down the road. Also, use tyvex over your clothing. You don’t want to carry fibers around on your clothes.

Comment

If it's asbestos do you want to "just chunk it"? Test it and do it right man.

Comment

I'm going to say no. Most asbestos containing tile was 8x8 and was non-friable. Same with the glue or black mastic as most people are calling it. To be safe, just don't sand the floor. Wet and scrap.
                      You will probably breath in more asbestos driving a car or walking next to a road. Modern brakes and clutch disk still contain asbestos.

Comment

Originally posted by Budman68 View Post
                        I'm going to say no. Most asbestos containing tile was 8x8 and was non-friable. Same with the glue or black mastic as most people are calling it. To be safe, just don't sand the floor. Wet and scrap.
                        You will probably breath in more asbestos driving a car or walking next to a road. Modern brakes and clutch disk still contain asbestos.
                        This is what my flooring people said too. Theyve been around since mid 50s.

Solid sheet vinyl is very likely not asbestos.

Comment

Working...
                        X