Question for TBH Guitar Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know we have quite a few guitar pickers on here so I’d like your opinion on one thing. I been playing off and on for many years but a finger amputation stopped me from playing for about 15 years. I’ve picked it back up and have somewhat adapted (a still ongoing process) with only having half a ring finger on my left hand. Anyways to make a short story long, all I’ve ever played have been lower end guitars priced around $300 and less. I’ve had a Epihone, Yamaha and currently a Fender. I’d like to upgrade to a nicer sounding guitar but don’t want to spend 1K or more. What would a nice one be in the 500-700 range?

Dean is a nice one won’t break the bank neither

Comment

Electric or acoustic? My son is the guitar player in my family, but he started young and I had to educate myself to make sure that guitar purchases were setting him up for success yet still not breaking the bank in case it was a fad that wouldn’t stick. The advice I got from several life long guitar players was almost unanimous… look for a Fender Stratocaster that was made in Mexico. That was his first electric and I see no reason to upgrade out of “necessity” for that style guitar. He also has a Dean which is his go to based solely on him being a metal head. All of his guitars have been purchased used in like new condition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you're looking for an acoustic, a Taylor 110e is just above your price range. Try to find a demo/blemished/used one. I bought a new "blemished" 214ce plus ($1299) for $950 on Reverb.com from Strait Music in Austin.

Comment

Originally posted by austinRecurve View Post
          If you're looking for an acoustic, a Taylor 110e is just above your price range. Try to find a demo/blemished/used one. I bought a new "blemished" 214ce plus ($1299) for $950 on Reverb.com from Strait Music in Austin.
          The Taylor Academy 10 is a great guitar and is in your price range. Shorter scale length (24 7/8")makes it easier to play. I bought one for my son and it sounds as good as my full size Taylor and Takamine. I would highly recommend it.

Comment

There are lots of good guitars in that price range. Get one you like and get it set up well. Eastman is another name to consider. Also you can find Alvarez Yiaris in your price range. I have one that I bought new in 1986. It is the best guitar I've ever owned and I have never played another that I like better. I'll never sell it. I've bought and sold a ton of guitars more expensive than the Yiari. All nice. But when you find "The One", you keep it.

On your finger.... Have you considered learning to play left-handed? If you're not too far into it playing right-handed, it sure might be a good thing to consider. A missing finger on your picking hand would be much less of a hinderance than on the fretting hand.

Comment

I am currently eyeballing a blue ridge B42 model

about ~$600ish brand new and they sound and play great

Just don't know if I can justify adding guitar #14 to the collection after I just got down to 13, from 21!

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                Also you can find Alvarez Yiaris in your price range. I have one that I bought new in 1986. It is the best guitar I've ever owned and I have never played another that I like better. I'll never sell it. I've bought and sold a ton of guitars more expensive than the Yiari.
                I thought that the Yairi was the premium Alvarez line. Much more expensive (and better sounding)than the regular Alvarez guitars. I could be mistaken, but I think that they are $1500+.

Comment

Originally posted by eastover53 View Post
                  I thought that the Yairi was the premium Alvarez line. Much more expensive (and better sounding)than the regular Alvarez guitars. I could be mistaken, but I think that they are $1500+.
                  It is, and the new ones are more expensive. The ones from the 80s and 90s are better, in my opinion, than the new ones though. And they sell for $500-$1,000 typically, if you can find one. Great guitars. Mine is a DY-52 model. I have a 12-string version of the same guitar as well that's awesome. Can't remember the model number for the 12-string.
                  Last edited by Shane; 07-11-2022, 03:11 PM.

Comment

On your finger.... Have you considered learning to play left-handed? If you're not too far into it playing right-handed, it sure might be a good thing to consider. A missing finger on your picking hand would be much less of a hinderance than on the fretting hand.[/QUOTE]

Yes I’ve considered learning to play left handed but just haven’t tried yet.

Also did your Squire sell that you had listed a few months ago?

Comment

Originally posted by marshman View Post
                      On your finger.... Have you considered learning to play left-handed? If you're not too far into it playing right-handed, it sure might be a good thing to consider. A missing finger on your picking hand would be much less of a hinderance than on the fretting hand.

Also did your Squire sell that you had listed a few months ago?[/QUOTE]

Yes sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post

Also did your Squire sell that you had listed a few months ago?
                        Yes sir.[/QUOTE]

I figured it had. Someone got a good guitar at a good price!

One question though you’ve mentioned setting up your guitar to make it more playable. What exactly do you do to set one up?

Comment

I’d go play a bunch of them and learn what it is you’re looking for in a guitar. The neck profile, the body shape, etc. If electric, single coil or humbuckers? Vintage or modern tone?

The price of a guitar can be crazy different without much noticeable difference in playability, build quality, or tone. Wood type, name brand, inlays, they all affect price but may not affect quality or how it plays. Same with hardware, pickups, etc. Same with country of manufacture. Just because one costs more doesn’t make it a better guitar. Way better to buy a $400 guitar that sings to you than a $1000 guitar that you don’t connect with.

Find what you like then find what fits your price range best.

Comment

If you are looking at electric, you cannot beat any of the Sire Larry Carlton line for under $700. I second the connection and feel thing as well. My son has played all kinds of guitars with values all over the board. He still prefers to play his $100 used Ibanez that he replaced the pickups in.

Comment

Its been a long time since I have looked into it, but I was always very impressed with Alvarez for a lower end guitar. I have a Gibson hummingbird pro but I always said if I bought a cheaper guitar for around the campfire/travel, etc….I would prolly get an Alvarez. I never found a better sounding and playing guitar under the $500 range.

That being said, for less than 1k, you can find entry level Taylors and Martins that will look and sound great and are long standing names in the guitar industry. Absolutely can’t go wrong with these and you will get a high quality guitar. And shouldn’t have any problem finding them available.

As usual, this becomes a ford/Chevy/dodge debate among many. Go to shops and play as many in your price range as you can, and if you know what you are looking for in sound and feel, you will find one you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by K-Train; 07-12-2022, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X