No announcement yet.

Texas Elk Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No help on dates Carey but good luck hope you kill a monster.

Comment

I would guess October.

I would ask the guy who invited you.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
        I would guess October.

I would ask the guy who invited you.
        It is a cattle ranch, and they don't hunt it.

Comment

Very fortunate to receive the offer to hunt. Best of luck to you !

Comment

I would call the ranch foreman back and ask him. They may not rut the same time that elk farther north rut. I would bet that they will rut at the same time, that the elk do, where ever those were brought in from originally. Not knowing where the elk came from, that started that heard, it's hard to say, when they would rut.

I think your best bet, is just to ask someone who lives or works out there, who pay attention to the elk out there.

Should be fun, good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
              It is a cattle ranch, and they don't hunt it.

I figured they would a least know when they hear bugles. Good luck to ya. Sounds like a dream hunt.

Comment

Free range Texas elk is one of my dreams, good luck

Comment

I would assume around the same time as Colorado. We always did best around mid September. Good Luck and have fun!

Comment

Congrats Carey, couldn't happen to a nicer fella....

Comment

Pretty cool opportunity here! Good luck

Comment

I know where I am at they bugle a lot in late September early October. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
                          Partly because it’s very expensive $$ to hunt them in west texas if you can find a place to do it
                          I looked into taking a customer a couple years ago, my budget wasn’t even close.
                          It’s on my bucket list though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                          They are actually cheap compared to like size in the upper end bulls across the west.

Now the average type bulls they are a little high.

Comment

Mid to late Sept into Oct depending on the moon and temps with cloud cover.
                            Hot and sunny up here they rut a little later; cloudy , cool fall and they bugle early Sept.

I think the rut is about the same but activity- bugling is what varies with temps and whether or not is is cool and cloudy. Shorter days lead into the rut, cloudy days help that.

Good luck sir, hope you get a big bull !

And yep, B&C responded they do not recognize Texas elk. Funny because in Wyoming bison are not game but are regulated take wildlife.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                              And yep, B&C responded they do not recognize Texas elk. Funny because in Wyoming bison are not game but are regulated take wildlife.

Bison were originally native to Wyoming in large numbers where Elk were not native to the vast majority of Texas...you had a few migratory herds that would cross the panhandle and a few ( probably Merriams Elk) that were native to a few of the sky island habitats like the Chisos and Davis Mountain range. This is per RMEF.

When I was a kid Elk were listed as a Game animal with a season but somewhere in the late 90's IIRC they de-listed them.

From what I have been able to find, B&C will only recognize Bison taken from certain areas such as the Henry Mountains or Yellowstone area... Anything else and they are not eligible for entry even if taken under free range conditions and DNA certified as 100% pure. The Elk are kind of the same thing......they will not accept free range elk introduced in Texas but will accept introduced Elk from other areas that they didn't originally exist like the White Mountains in Arizona.

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                                Bison were originally native to Wyoming in large numbers where Elk were not native to the vast majority of Texas...you had a few migratory herds that would cross the panhandle and a few ( probably Merriams Elk) that were native to a few of the sky island habitats like the Chisos and Davis Mountain range. This is per RMEF.

When I was a kid Elk were listed as a Game animal with a season but somewhere in the late 90's IIRC they de-listed them.

From what I have been able to find, B&C will only recognize Bison taken from certain areas such as the Henry Mountains or Yellowstone area... Anything else and they are not eligible for entry even if taken under free range conditions and DNA certified as 100% pure. The Elk are kind of the same thing......they will not accept free range elk introduced in Texas but will accept introduced Elk from other areas that they didn't originally exist like the White Mountains in Arizona.
                                Texas their number one disqualification is no formal season. The historic home range argument is one random biologist agruing against the Merriam's elk as a separate sub-species.

They have to be real careful on dna or there are alot of sheep slams that will end up with Two Dalls instead of Dall and fannin as the stone

Comment

Working...
                                X