Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets talk corporal punishment for kids...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep this in mind. Your son wants to be treated like an adult or at least like a young man. Be creative with your punishment as it relates to his growing older and having more responsibility. The belt is merely reverting back to his younger years and is likely to cause more problems than it solves. JMO!

Comment

I got my butt whipped when I was a kid and I screwed up. We had a rule if I got one at school, then I got two at home. On the flip side, I had friends that where not held accountable and never got spankings or anything like that from their parents. You want to guess which kids turned out better and are successful today?

Comment

Grounding does NOT work. Even if it looks like it right now, you'll see in 3 or 4 years that he/she was just biding their time. Basically, "no harm, no foul" mindset. Show them there are repercussions to their actions and they'll better understand their foul.

Its been a few years since I used a whipping on my oldest. Now, he acts like he's above the law at times. The other day I had to remind him of how it once was...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
          I went to a private middle school that gave licks, by the principal, for punishment. Our principal was a huge bull of a man and his swats were no daisys either. However, I hate to say it but to me and my friends the licks were well worth the trouble we caused. The mere price of a few moments of pain for the all day torment of our teachers was well worth the trade off. Heck, we had competitions to see who could get the most licks!
          That's exactly what we were doing. We were keeping count and trying to see who could get the most. That ended for me when Coach F showed me what a "lick" was supposed to be. I didn't want any more of those. The burning went all the way down my legs and even around to the front side and it didn't go away in a few class periods like the others.

Comment

Do you all dole out the same discipline for your daughters?

Comment

This brings back some lesson learning memories for me. Being in a house of three boys, my Dad was known to fling a belt or better yet his Delta Sigma Pi Frat paddle and commence to teaching us a lesson. Never a beating but a whippin' here and there. That man could pull his belt with metal buckles the length of it through his belt loops and snap it before we could say "I won't do it again". That probably scared us more than anything because you knew what could be coming. Much like TX Kevin, I had one of those periods in 5th grade where as a straight A student, I had some "Unsatisfactory" or "U" in conduct grades. My Dad warned me after the first six weeks that if I got another one, I would get the belt like I never had and be grounded to which I responded with straight A's and 7 U's (for 7 classes) the next six weeks.... mostly brought on by my talking and acting as the class clown.

On report card day I read mine and prepared for the worst. Whe Dad got home he took me into my bedroom and congratulated me on my A's with a smile on his face telling me he was proud of me....and I was thinking I was home free. As he was walking out and with me about to wipe my brow, he turned around and said..."oh Jason, I almost forgot...about those conduct grades"....as he yanks that belt out of those loops giving me the "this is gonna hurt him more than its gonna hurt me" talk... I received the worst ever arse whippin' I had in my life and I dang sure remembered it. I can remember tryin' to climb the walls to get away from the sting on my butt as the belt lifted me off the bed... For the rest of my days I never received a U in conduct after that and was a better person for it. It taught me to save my clowning around and talking for recess... i never received another whippin' after that day....just an occasional grabbing of the belt buckle was all I needed as a reminder of that lesson dolled out that day ....

I'm a firm believer in a corporal punishment and honestly think it still should be going on in schools...Seems like the world has gone down the crapper since it was removed.
              Last edited by Smart; 03-05-2009, 09:45 AM.

Comment

I'm a big fan.

Comment

Excellent topic and post. Things are never what they appear to be. My two girls were worlds apart in some areas and just alike in others. When it came to discipline it did not take much more than just talking to them to get the situation corrected, what I found out after they were grown up was there were some things happening that I was not aware of that kind of disappointed me. Long story short they both graduated from college and are working women as well as their mother. They are both in their late 20"s, as far as children today it seems the mind set is somewhat different. What works and what does not work depends on the likes and dislikes of the kids along with the will power and stubbornness. I am not against using the rod or punishment it is necessary even still in some cases it may not work. You have to get their attention and then make the point. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post

I'm a firm believer in a corporal punishment and honestly think it still should be going on in schools...Seems like the world has gone down the crapper since it was removed.
                    Spankin's are the only thing that kept me straight as a kid. All the other punishments have long been forgotten, but I remember many lessons learned from a few good swats. When the took corpral punishment and prayer out of school, many of the kids in this country just lost respect for adults....I am gonna stop now...this subject always ends in me ranting about the good old days
                    Last edited by hntndawg; 03-05-2009, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Man I'm glade my son goes to school in Harper. They still spank here. My son knows a trip to the principles office could result in butt whoopin and then one when he gets home. So far no problems If he has done something to get him into trouble I just take his guns and bow away. That has just as good effect as a whoopin. But about a month ago he acted very bad in church, and back talked me when I got onto him. so he had to get a spankin. Didn't have another problem the rest of the day. As a matter of fact I haven't had a problem with him since then.

Comment

Originally posted by Fistula View Post
                        Do you all dole out the same discipline for your daughters?
                        Yes, but...

Daughters aren't as tough as sons so the same force of impact isn't needed.

I do not "beat" my kids. Never have. I whip them to correct, not damage. That would be stupid.

Comment

Texas Law states that parents may use FORCE but not DEADLY FORCE to discipline thier children. Basically short of breaking bones, causing permanent injury, or wacking them over the head with a 2X4, you are OK. Tell CPS to shove it in sideways. They are a worthless organization. I can say this as I am in law enforcement and deal with them regularly. They won't do anything when it needs to be done, but they harass people for spanking thier kids.

Comment

Originally posted by LostHawg View Post
                            Yes, but...

Daughters aren't as tough as sons so the same force of impact isn't needed.

I do not "beat" my kids. Never have. I whip them to correct, not damage. That would be stupid.

I got ya.

Comment

Im only 20 at the time but reading all of these post makes me remember when I was younger. My dad spanked me quite often (I needed it). I was a problem child when I was younger. I totaled a fourwheeler and a truck by the time I was 15. Lets just say when I got my next truck and my friends were out stuck in the mud asking me for help. I thought to myself, Man my dad would whoop my *** if I go in there. Sorry guys I cant help you I could go on and on about things I did wrong but grounding never helped me one bit. The fear of a whoopin kept me in line pretty good once I turned 16

Comment

I was hard headed and got licks in the principals office at least once a week.When i got licks i was not about to say anything to my parents because i knew i would get it again but only worse.I spanked my kids and it did hurt me more than it did them.Did not like doing it but felt it was necessary.My son is now 19 and when he was 18 i told him to do something and he basically told me he wasn't going to do it.Being too old for spankings i told him this was not a request but a order and he had one more chance to do it.Well things escalated and he tried to bow up on me and he ended up getting picked up and thrown about halfway across his room.My son knows i love him but in my house things are done a certain way.Since that incident there have been no more problems.

Comment

Working...
                                X