Heat effects on fawn crop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heat effects on fawn crop

I know vegetation and cover play a huge role in fawn recruitment. Was just wondering about this heat? Wonder how the fawns are making out

Originally posted by elhefe View Post
    I know vegetation and cover play a huge role in fawn recruitment. Was just wondering about this heat? Wonder how the fawns are making out
    I mean, they are hot!

Comment

It can’t be good, but how bad, I have no clue. Mother Nature has been in control of that a long time though.

Comment

I have seen a bunch with mommas on the county roads but did find one dead behind my house that looked like it died just after being born….really small. Maybe it was heat

Comment

I found one dead also. Heat is killing a few IMO.

I was more worried about no grass for cover to hide from coyotes.

Comment

What he said. Waters getting scarce and I suppose they are easy pickings at any little water hole. Trim them cedars back and give ‘em a chance is one easy add on.

Comment

Y’all do realize it’s Texas and it’s the same weather every summer? The heat and drought is nothing new.

Comment

It’s June. We will run out of water some day in Austin.

Comment

It’s not “ the same weather every year”. It might be the same pattern with a lot more straws drinking…”

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                    Y’all do realize it’s Texas and it’s the same weather every summer? The heat and drought is nothing new.
                    We have not had a drought like this since 2010, this one may end up being worse. My county is in bad shape.

View current drought conditions for Wilson County, Texas, and explore impacts on Water Supply, Public Health, and Agriculture.

Comment

If they have them. Been very dry in a lot of places and many will abort them.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                        We were over 100 far earlier than normal this year. That extra 5-15 degrees when fawns are first born is a lot to them..IMO or is my guess.

Comment

If no rain in the next 30 days in Mills county I look for a die off of some fawns. We got lucky about 3 weeks ago and got close to 2 inches of rain. With the heat and wind it is drying up fast. Good luck everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                            We were over 100 far earlier than normal this year. That extra 5-15 degrees when fawns are first born is a lot to them..IMO or is my guess.
                            We’ve also had a droughts that were much worse along with heat waves that lasted 100+ days over 100*. By those standards we wouldn’t have any deer left from all the fawn deaths from heat. It’s all cyclical but for some reason this one is always the worst yet.

Comment

No worse than the freeze. Or every summer Tejas

Comment

Working...
                              X