Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-19-2022, 10:31 PM   #1
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Truck at night.
Default AC decided to give up.

Got home from Father's Day dinner and the house was 84 degrees. Guess I'm not buying those new power poles for my boat now.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2022, 12:22 AM   #2
Preacher Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper Co.

Bummer, if you need a good AC guy, I've got one. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.
Preacher Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2022, 05:20 AM   #3
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Id bet it is a capacitor and not a system failure. Mine at my old house would blow one every summer. After paying to have two replaced i decided watch how to do it on the second one and it was so easy i just bought them myself after that.
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2022, 06:35 AM   #4
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Friday at 6 wife said it was getting warm. Had to call AC guy and pay the after hours premium

Dang capacitor.
Like flywise said, easy fix. Thinking about buying a few common failure parts like capacitor to keep on hand. Was obvious when he took cover off what problem was, swollen up on top
BTLowry is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2022, 08:09 AM   #5
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

I don't think it's going to be a easy one. Last week I thought the AC was sounding a little louder. I just said a prayer and turned the TV up a little and that fixed the noise. Procrastination is one of my superpowers.

Old 06-20-2022, 08:20 AM   #6
Gumbo Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Between Onalaska and Groveton

On the bright side Jay staying at a motel for a few days makes it feel like you are on vacation instead of waiting on repairs. Hope it’s a quick fix for you my friend. I blew a capacitor on my walk in freezer last Wednesday. I always have a back up.
Gumbo Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2022, 08:33 AM   #7
louieagarcia
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Planet Earth

Glad to read that AntlerCollector is ok. thread title threw me for a loop
louieagarcia is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2022, 08:38 AM   #8
SNKETR
Six Point

Hunt In: Robertson County

Mine went out Thursday. Hopefully the AC guys get here today. For those of you that replaced the capacitor yourselves, what's the easiest way to tell it's bad? I'm headed to YouTube
SNKETR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2022, 08:45 AM   #9
Rwc
Pope & Young

My 22 year old unit went out last August…….Wife was not impressed when I mentioned I would just add a window unit to the master and deal with central a/c unit later………

My biggest issue was finding a replacement unit around the central Texas area that was not already spoken for.

Rwc
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2022, 08:48 AM   #10
Smart
Four Point

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Mine went out during the height of Covid at 20 years old and after the initial nutkick, it has been the best purchase we have made. The house is substantially cooler and the electric bills are lower. Not to mention the peace of mind during summers like this..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2022, 09:25 AM   #11
Gumbo Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNKETR View Post
Mine went out Thursday. Hopefully the AC guys get here today. For those of you that replaced the capacitor yourselves, what's the easiest way to tell it's bad? I'm headed to YouTube
The capacitor will almost always be swollen with a dome like top or just opened up. It’s a simple fix but you should know that it can still store energy so with power off just arc across the poles with a screw driver and then it is safe to handle without curling your hair.
Old 06-20-2022, 10:42 AM   #12
JVasquez
Ten Point

Quote:
Use a voltage meter to check microfarads across the common, herm and fan. Your readings should be consistent across all three. Be careful they hold a charge.
JVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2022, 10:48 AM   #13
Montec man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hare/Granger, Tx P.S. Theres no deer in Hare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggslayer View Post
I don't think it's going to be a easy one. Last week I thought the AC was sounding a little louder. I just said a prayer and turned the TV up a little and that fixed the noise. Procrastination is one of my superpowers.

Could be just the fan motor, which is also an easy fix. Most are just 3 bolts-plug and play. Might get a service to come out and diagnose the problem, then decide if it's something you can tackle yourself. They'll charge you an arm and a leg for something you can do in 5 minutes.
Montec man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2022, 01:01 PM   #14
SNKETR
Six Point

Sure enough. AC guy guessed the capacitor, swapped it out and was gone in 20min. He showed me how to test it. Also said, sometimes they're only lasting 2 months. Quality right now is garbage.
Old 06-20-2022, 01:09 PM   #15
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montec man View Post
Could be just the fan motor, which is also an easy fix. Most are just 3 bolts-plug and play. Might get a service to come out and diagnose the problem, then decide if it's something you can tackle yourself. They'll charge you an arm and a leg for something you can do in 5 minutes.
Fans are running fine inside and out. Compressor wont start. Could be a start capacitor but the unit should have never shut off at 3pm yesterday in 100 degree heat to bring the start capacitor into the equation. I hope its something simple but my gut tells me it's not. AC guy will be out this evening, until then we are camped out in the bedrooms with portable ACs.

Old 06-20-2022, 01:19 PM   #16
SNKETR
Six Point

Quote:
Fans are running fine inside and out. Compressor wont start. Could be a start capacitor but the unit should have never shut off at 3pm yesterday in 100 degree heat to bring the start capacitor into the equation. I hope its something simple but my gut tells me it's not. AC guy will be out this evening, until then we are camped out in the bedrooms with portable ACs.
That's the exact issue I had. Same as what the AC guy said. Fans will run but the compressor won't.
Old 06-20-2022, 01:27 PM   #17
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Mine lost a capacitor on Friday. Luckily I have a buddy that has an AC company. 20 minutes after noticing it we were having a drink while the house cooled back down.
TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2022, 01:38 PM   #18
KDinTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Co., Henderson Co.

If it ends up being a capacitor or a relay, buy a few to have extra. I started keeping at least one extra cause it seems they don't last like they should. Usually a 15-20 min swap and up and running again.
KDinTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2022, 03:28 PM   #19
Stetsonoverton
Six Point

Hunt In: Motley, Kent counties & southwest OK

Sorry to hear that but I feel you has to replace the outside unit on mine last week unit was only 7 years old to….
Stetsonoverton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2022, 05:33 PM   #20
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Welp, just as I suspected, luck wasn't going to factor into this one. Compressor locked up. Going to run a few $$$$ to get a new outside until. Should have it installed tomorrow hopefully.

Old 06-20-2022, 09:25 PM   #21
Smart
Four Point

Quote:
Welp, just as I suspected, luck wasn't going to factor into this one. Compressor locked up. Going to run a few $$$$ to get a new outside until. Should have it installed tomorrow hopefully.

Sorry man.. sucks but the good news is hopefully you have another 20 before you have to worry about it again Ö and your bill should drop with a more efficient unit.
Old 06-20-2022, 09:39 PM   #22
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

Quote:

Time to start selling feet pictures on the interwebs
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2022, 08:35 AM   #23
hogslayer78
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Augustine

Quote:

Dont feel bad. I had a company come out yesterday also. I am having to replace my outside unit and coil.
hogslayer78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2022, 09:14 AM   #24
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lee View Post
Time to start selling feet pictures on the interwebs
Now there is a idea. How much you think I could get for a few pics of these bad boys?

Old 06-21-2022, 09:52 AM   #25
Gumbo Man
Pope & Young

What kind of MOJO VOODOO were you putting out yesterday Jay? I walked in the house at 3:30 from watering the lawn and didn’t get that burst of cold air when entering. I went and looked at the thermostat that is set at 72 and the temp is reading 76. I looked at my wife sitting on the couch watching TV and playing on her IPad and said doesn’t the house seem a little warm to you and she said yes it does. I’m on it!! The fan isn’t running outside so shut power off and pulled the cover. Sure nuff the capacitor has a top on it like the Astrodome. 20 minutes later we are up and running. Used my last one so time to reorder.
Old 06-21-2022, 10:00 AM   #26
Scubasteveo
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kennard,anywhere else I can mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo Man View Post
What kind of MOJO VOODOO were you putting out yesterday Jay? I walked in the house at 3:30 from watering the lawn and didnít get that burst of cold air when entering. I went and looked at the thermostat that is set at 72 and the temp is reading 76. I looked at my wife sitting on the couch watching TV and playing on her IPad and said doesnít the house seem a little warm to you and she said yes it does. Iím on it!! The fan isnít running outside so shut power off and pulled the cover. Sure nuff the capacitor has a top on it like the Astrodome. 20 minutes later we are up and running. Used my last one so time to reorder.
Same here!! Got home yesterday and it was already 80 degrees inside. Capacitor is swollen, and spinning the fan by hand didn't help. A/C buddy is on his way today t replace and leave me a few extra.
Scubasteveo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2022, 11:42 AM   #27
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo Man View Post
What kind of MOJO VOODOO were you putting out yesterday Jay? I walked in the house at 3:30 from watering the lawn and didnít get that burst of cold air when entering. I went and looked at the thermostat that is set at 72 and the temp is reading 76. I looked at my wife sitting on the couch watching TV and playing on her IPad and said doesnít the house seem a little warm to you and she said yes it does. Iím on it!! The fan isnít running outside so shut power off and pulled the cover. Sure nuff the capacitor has a top on it like the Astrodome. 20 minutes later we are up and running. Used my last one so time to reorder.
Well its 100 degrees out side so it's the season for ACs to go out. They never go out when it 80 outside.

Old 06-21-2022, 12:15 PM   #28
warrington
Ten Point

Hunt In: Abilene

I would go to grainger and buy a capacitor and swap it out and see if it works

Mine are 20 years old. Capacitors fail every other year
warrington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2022, 12:17 PM   #29
Chase4556
Four Point

Quote:
The easiest way is to look at your capacitor for the size, order two and have them on hand. If something happens, go swap the capacitor to rule it out. If it comes back onlineÖ good to go. If notÖ might have to call the A/C guys.

Donít forget there is usually a capacitor for your blower fan in the air handler. Keep those on hand too.
Chase4556 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2022, 12:22 PM   #30
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
Id bet it is a capacitor and not a system failure. Mine at my old house would blow one every summer. After paying to have two replaced i decided watch how to do it on the second one and it was so easy i just bought them myself after that.
My capacitor took a crap on me last week
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2022, 12:22 PM   #31
Chase4556
Four Point

I got home from the field last June(wife was in Houston) after sweating for 4 days and walked into a warm house. After a few cussing moments I found the closest place to me that would sell me a capacitor. Grabbed the bad one and ran up there(at least the truck has AC) and picked two up. Back to the house and swapped it out. Luckily that was the fix.

Always keep a few on hand. You will be your own savior, and sooner or later will save a family member/neighbor on a Sunday when no one is open.
Chase4556 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2022, 01:58 PM   #32
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

New unit installed and already at 73 degrees inside after running for an hour.

Old 06-21-2022, 02:22 PM   #33
Outback
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano primarily

i keep capacitors and fan motors in stock for just such an emergency. Has saved me mucho!
Outback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2022, 02:59 PM   #34
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback View Post
i keep capacitors and fan motors in stock for just such an emergency. Has saved me mucho!
I do also, but that don't work when the compressor takes a crap. I keep spare relays and a control board for my air handler also.

If I hadn't noticed the increased noise from the until leading up to it quitting, I might have replaced a few thing to see if I could get it going.

Old 06-21-2022, 03:02 PM   #35
Gumbo Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
New unit installed and already at 73 degrees inside after running for an hour.

Glad your back in Coolville.
Old 06-21-2022, 03:09 PM   #36
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by louieagarcia View Post
Glad to read that AntlerCollector is ok. thread title threw me for a loop
LOL, same here.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2022, 03:38 PM   #37
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

More A/C issues over here....any help would be appreciated.

Our house was at 75 Monday at dark when I got home, not super alarming, but higher than normal. I keep it on 70 or 71 and it doesn't get over 73 or so even in +100 heat, then catches up by midnight or so. Tuesday it got up to 77 or 78, and only cooled down to 73 or so by daylight yesterday. Unit has run non stop, compressor is running, fans running, no ice on coils that I could see.

I had a guy out yesterday who found some ice inside the coils and put 1 1/2 pounds of freon in it. He basically said it's old and losing capacity...does that sound right?

He said we can't just replace the outside unit, because they have new refrigerant now, and the whole unit would have to be replaced. Unit is 13 years old and runs on R22, I believe. I have no reason NOT to trust the guy, and he wasn't pushing to buy a new system, but this is the first time I've used him.

Any AC experts have other ideas besides window units?
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2022, 05:50 PM   #38
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Old freon can be blown out of Inside coils as long it's not contaminated with burnt freon and old oil.

Make sure you have good flow across your coils. A clean, cheap, plan old filter, and not a fancy pleated high dollar one; works best for good air flow.

Old 06-23-2022, 05:59 PM   #39
Reel Screamer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post

Our house was at 75 Monday at dark when I got home, not super alarming, but higher than normal. I keep it on 70 or 71 and it doesn't get over 73 or so even in +100 heat, then catches up by midnight or so. Tuesday it got up to 77 or 78, and only cooled down to 73 or so by daylight yesterday. Unit has run non stop, compressor is running, fans running, no ice on coils that I could see.

I had a guy out yesterday who found some ice inside the coils and put 1 1/2 pounds of freon in it. He basically said it's old and losing capacity...does that sound right?

He said we can't just replace the outside unit, because they have new refrigerant now, and the whole unit would have to be replaced. Unit is 13 years old and runs on R22, I believe. I have no reason NOT to trust the guy, and he wasn't pushing to buy a new system, but this is the first time I've used him.

Same exact situation I’m in. He’s right. Most likely you have a leak in your coil in the air handler in the attic. I have limped mine along with the same 1.5-2.5 pounds added of R22 a season. Problem now is 22 is expensive! Changing out the whole system is in my future and suspect yours as well.
Reel Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2022, 06:35 PM   #40
Bryan2014
Six Point

Hunt In: Menard County, Victoria county

Quote:

I run our family company down here in Victoria/Port Lavaca. Itís highly recommended to replace both inside and out when switching refrigerants. You may get away with just doing either/or, but it could also cause problems.
Bryan2014 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2022, 06:40 PM   #41
Tx.Fisher
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr, Gaines

Quote:

No expert by any means, but I bet you have a leak on your evaporator coil on the inside. A leak tester could find it. We had our evaporator coil replaced in April on our 20 year old unit with a slightly used one and it is working great. I bought a 30 pound jug of R22 in the classifieds on here. Nortex AC Parts in Midlothian will sell you just about any part you’ll need if you want to fix it rather than go all new.
Tx.Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2022, 07:48 PM   #42
Smart
Four Point

Agreed Dale on the coil leak probably being inside and changing both based on experience. Milked a 6-7 year inside evap coil leak that had to be topped off every late spring and finally had enough at year 20 of the unit. Was fortunate to have my own tank of freon but that was empty as well on the last go. My 20 year AC guy who I trust said the same as above. Always better to change them both with the new refrigerants. I had to anyway but that just came up in our conversation. What a great feeling to have a newer updated more efficient unit in warranty and not have to worry about that **** thing quitting during summer …. The cost sucked but the peace of mind was well worth it. Been hanging meat in the house since 5/2000.

Last edited by Smart; 06-23-2022 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-23-2022, 08:01 PM   #43
hogslayer78
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Augustine

I have the same problem Dale! Been putting freon in mine once a year since 2017. My unit is 2008 trane and r22 also. Mine unit runs all day and night and never cycles off right now. Will be about 75 mid day. I have a new outside unit and coil on order now. The r22 is the problem since its phased out now and most companies want $200lb and cant get units or coils that run on r22. I had freon added this April and its low again so the leak is worse and its time to change. Got about 15 yrs out of it.
hogslayer78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2022, 08:09 PM   #44
Tx.Fisher
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr, Gaines

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogslayer78 View Post
I have the same problem Dale! Been putting freon in mine once a year since 2017. My unit is 2008 trane and r22 also. Mine unit runs all day and night and never cycles off right now. Will be about 75 mid day. I have a new outside unit and coil on order now. The r22 is the problem since its phased out now and most companies want $200lb and cant get units or coils that run on r22. I had freon added this April and its low again so the leak is worse and its time to change. Got about 15 yrs out of it.
Try Facebook marketplace or Craigslist if youíre looking for R22, a lot on the there.
Tx.Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2022, 08:11 PM   #45
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

My unit is a 2009 model. I wonder if itís worth trying to find an inside coil and have replaced?

Iíd spend a little $$ on that over replacing the system if it would work. Itís 79 in here now, and I am not a 79 degree guy..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2022, 08:12 PM   #46
Bisch
Pope & Young

I was of the understanding that MO99 could be used in place of R22. When I bought my house, the smaller of the 2 units had a leak in the inside coil. They replaced that and recharged the system with MO99, and it has been working great ever since. That was over 5yrs ago. Both my units are 23yrs old.

https://www.freon.com/en/products/refrigerants/mo99

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Bisch; 06-23-2022 at 08:17 PM.
Bisch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2022, 08:14 PM   #47
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan2014 View Post
I run our family company down here in Victoria/Port Lavaca. Itís highly recommended to replace both inside and out when switching refrigerants. You may get away with just doing either/or, but it could also cause problems.

I appreciate your input, sir. If we have to change refrigerants, Iíll do the whole system.

If I could conceivably get 4-6 years by changing the coil for a couple grand, Iíd do that.

But it doesnít seem like the added Freon yesterday has changed anything, so I may just be screwed.

Old 06-23-2022, 08:15 PM   #48
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch View Post
I was of the understanding that MO99 could be used in place of R22. When I bought my house, the smaller of the 2 units had a leak in the inside coil. They replaced that and recharged the system with MO99, and it has been working great ever since. That was over 5yrs ago. Both my units are 23yrs old.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

InterestingÖ.

Old 06-23-2022, 08:22 PM   #49
rolylane6
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wise county

Quote:

Dale I used Don's A/C in Bridgeport. Kid named Justin. He's a good kid and shoots straight. He has a leak detector cuz I gave him one I had when he was working on mine. (It was a $300 detector I bought for $30 on clearance at Lowes a couple years ago). I guess I really didn't give it to him, he swapped me for some freon to get me thru the winter last year until we could change the coil this summer. I had a leak in my coil in the attic. It was $2800 to replace it but mine has the new refrigerant.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
rolylane6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2022, 08:23 PM   #50
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Thank all of you guys for your input, itís exactly what I was looking for.