Rainbow Trout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rainbow Trout

Just got back from a few days on the White River in Arkansas. Caught plenty, kept a few to try. Any recipe suggestions?

Smoked Trout Dip.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
      Smoked Trout Dip.

This and just plain smoked trout. Smoked mountain trout is insanely delicious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Fried up in butter

Comment

Butter and lemon pepper at 400 for 20 minutes in the oven is perfect.
          We have a place 45 minutes from Beaver Dam.

Comment

Trout and most fish, you don't want to cook for much more than 7 minutes, unless it's a very thick piece, then maybe 11 minutes.

I have cooked a lot of trout, I love rainbows, German Browns. I like to cover them in butter, put some spices on them and some lemon juice. Place them on the heavy duty aluminum foil first, then add the butter, lemon juice, spices of your liking. The wrap the foil up, do your best to seal it up. Heat up a grill to 350 to 450 degrees, and cook it for about 6 to 7 minutes and it's done, ready to eat. Big but, have everything else that you are going to eat, prepared before you put the fish on. You want to eat the fish right off the grill, while it's still steaming hot. The flavor is much better. Once it gets cold, the flavor drops off greatly.

I used to do a lot of lemon pepper on rainbows, but have switched to using more cajun spices or Chupacabra brand spices, along with some chopped up green onions and some chopped up garlic.

I am going to cook a bunch of salmon, this weekend as an appetizer, it will get the green onions, garlic and either Chupacabra seasoning, or whatever cajun seasoning, I see first. The butter and lemon juice, wrapped in the heavy duty foil, with around 400 degree heat for 7 minutes is a given, that never changes. I change the flavor up with different seasonings. Our daughter bought some hot sauce, I had never heard of, a few year ago, when she was home from college, one summer. Then left it with us, it was good stuff, I need to ask her what that stuff was. But I put some of that stuff on the fish once, used up the rest of the bottle on those fillets. That came out pretty dang good.

I will do basically the same for reds and specs. I have cooked reds and specs for people who claim they absolutely hate fish. Then cooked them some reds and specs, wrapped in foil, with some butter and maybe some lemon pepper. They were fighting over the stuff as fast as soon as it came off the grill. I showed up with five reds and a couple of specs, that stuff was gone, fast. I hardly got to eat any.

Trust me on having everything else prepared and ready before you start the fish. My wife likes to cook corn on the cob when I cook fish. She will cook the corn and leave them in the pot of water, so they are still hot also. Then have the plates and silverware set out, waiting on the fish. If you cook it right, it won't last long enough to get cold.

Comment

I’ve only cooked them whole on some sticks over a fire or in foil packs with butter, lemon, and onion in the fire. They are delicious both ways. I have eaten them smoked like suggested above, also delicious.

So basically any preparation for fish works.
              Last edited by El General; 06-16-2022, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Foil packet, butter, EVOO, salt (don't skimp), pepper, splash lemon juice, italian herbs if you like, diced onions or whatever veggies you prefer, and stick in the hot coals of a campfire for 10-12 minutes

Bonus points: Slice potatoes, Butter, Salt, pepper, dry ranch dressing packet/shaker. Mix well and cook ~20minutes.

Gets job done for me.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                  Trout and most fish, you don't want to cook for much more than 7 minutes, unless it's a very thick piece, then maybe 11 minutes.

I have cooked a lot of trout, I love rainbows, German Browns. I like to cover them in butter, put some spices on them and some lemon juice. Place them on the heavy duty aluminum foil first, then add the butter, lemon juice, spices of your liking. The wrap the foil up, do your best to seal it up. Heat up a grill to 350 to 450 degrees, and cook it for about 6 to 7 minutes and it's done, ready to eat. Big but, have everything else that you are going to eat, prepared before you put the fish on. You want to eat the fish right off the grill, while it's still steaming hot. The flavor is much better. Once it gets cold, the flavor drops off greatly.

I used to do a lot of lemon pepper on rainbows, but have switched to using more cajun spices or Chupacabra brand spices, along with some chopped up green onions and some chopped up garlic.

I am going to cook a bunch of salmon, this weekend as an appetizer, it will get the green onions, garlic and either Chupacabra seasoning, or whatever cajun seasoning, I see first. The butter and lemon juice, wrapped in the heavy duty foil, with around 400 degree heat for 7 minutes is a given, that never changes. I change the flavor up with different seasonings. Our daughter bought some hot sauce, I had never heard of, a few year ago, when she was home from college, one summer. Then left it with us, it was good stuff, I need to ask her what that stuff was. But I put some of that stuff on the fish once, used up the rest of the bottle on those fillets. That came out pretty dang good.

I will do basically the same for reds and specs. I have cooked reds and specs for people who claim they absolutely hate fish. Then cooked them some reds and specs, wrapped in foil, with some butter and maybe some lemon pepper. They were fighting over the stuff as fast as soon as it came off the grill. I showed up with five reds and a couple of specs, that stuff was gone, fast. I hardly got to eat any.

Trust me on having everything else prepared and ready before you start the fish. My wife likes to cook corn on the cob when I cook fish. She will cook the corn and leave them in the pot of water, so they are still hot also. Then have the plates and silverware set out, waiting on the fish. If you cook it right, it won't last long enough to get cold.

Pretty similar to my method! glad to see I am not the only one with the foil packet/butter crutch

Comment

Working...
                  X