Raised bed garden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raised bed garden

Never done it, can kill a cactus, but I want a raised bed garden.

I have a few questions:

1. Can I put a weed barrier down to prevent grass and weeds growing or do I need to dig the sod up 6-10” deep?

2. To fill an 8’x4’ raised bed I was thinking and have read, 60% topsoil, and the rest organic potting soil

3. I know it’s late to start but I’m thinking tomatoes, squash, jalapeños, zucchini’s, and whatever else y’all recommend.

Any ideas, help, advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

We have a 8' x4' raised bed and all we could fit is squash and green beans. I wish we could fit more but there is no room for anything else. A single squash plant is over 2' by 2'. Zucchini will be just as big. We have 3 of the big lick tubs for cattle that we have our tomatoes in.

Comment

^^^ thanks

Comment

1. When I start a new bed I put cardboard in the bottom and add the soil on top. The cardboard kills everything below it but biodegrades.

2. You can get complex or simple with the soil. These days you can buy some pretty good raised bed soil, but it doesn’t hurt to mix your own either.

3. Check this out for timing https://travis-tx.tamu.edu/files/202...ravis-2015.pdf

Good luck and enjoy the literal fruits of your labor!

Comment

These are mine on top of a bed of pea gravel. If not, I would put a layer of weed barrier down before I put soil in.

3'x8'x12" from Northern Tool. So far so good.Maters, taters, onion, sweet corn, okra, squash and whatever else the wife planted.. 12 mater plants!!!!!!!!

Comment

We have a couple raised bed gardens that are 30’ long and 4’ wide. No weed barrier. Just 16 inches of dirt on top of the native grass. They are now 10 years old and no issues with and grass or weeds coming up from below. We add a couple inches of fresh soil every year.

Comment

Following.

Comment

Personally, I'd make em 28/30" wide X length you desire. As folks said the extra 10" doesn't give you much more room for other stuff. 30" width and you can take care of it without having to get in it.

that's my opinion, it's free, so it's not overcharging.

Comment

I used some railroad ties for a base and cardboard underneath raised bed and potting soil. It has an inner border of 2 stacked landscape timbers and a concrete pad walkway. Also used a dog kennel with a nylon tarp that shades the direct noon sun, but allows the morning and afternoon sun. Wrapped the cyclone fencing with chicken wire to keep out the small birds. Hung soaker hose along the roof for watering.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Wampuscat; 05-15-2022, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info y’all

Comment

Ours is 5x20 and 2 cinder blocks high. We put an old pool liner down and filled with soil. Its our first year with this one buy we have had good results with the same thing on smaller scale

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

tagged

Comment

We bought two of the 6’ x 3’ raised bed frames from Northern Tool, setting them up soon to prepare for next year so the soil is ready to go. I figure is better to get going now than to wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                            Ours is 5x20 and 2 cinder blocks high. We put an old pool liner down and filled with soil. Its our first year with this one buy we have had good results with the same thing on smaller scale

Does the liner allow water to eventually drain out?
                            I’m Trying to grow anything but cactus/mesquites here in Brown County.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                              Does the liner allow water to eventually drain out?

I’m Trying to grow anything but cactus/mesquites here in Brown County.
                              Yes

Comment

Working...
                              X