Semi-live PCT thru hike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Semi-live PCT thru hike

Tbh…. My wife and I are 275 miles into our Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) thru attempt. We started April 9 and we are currently doing a resupply in Big Bear, CA. I wanted to wait until we got underway to start this thread. It’s going to be very semi-live as we already have gone thru a few long stretches with zero reception. So far we have been in some serious extreme weather. Blazing sun in low desert and freezing nights (especially high up in mountains). Wind can be ferocious and we even had to hike thru snow in the San Jacinto mountains. I am finding the hiking maybe a bit easier than the Appalachian Trail, but the extreme climates, remoteness and lack of water (big water carries) make up for that.

Social dynamics are way different than that Appalachian Trail. Lots of international hikers on trail this year (our guess is 65%). Many waited a few years for Covid restrictions to end. It’s been cool meeting and hiking with people from all over the world. Seems like less partying.

We started in Campo, CA at the border. The first 700 miles is desert. However, some of this desert climbs to 10,000 feet. So far we have seen lots of lizards, rabbits, squirrel-like critters and more lizards. Our first encounter with a desert rattler was at mile 5 and the second one at mile 6 (and this one was big and angry). The only big game spotted so far has been Big-Horn sheep. After 700 miles we will get into the Sierras which are good to go (low snow year). Trail concerns are the summer fires which will happen. We have already walked though many scarred sections. Really sad.

I am going to try to update this thread when I get into towns with receptions. I am also doing Instagram - Anvilheadtexas and my wife is - Kjlistenz. Pics are easier on Instagram so there will be more pics there.

I know many many hikers who have done this trail. They all say the hiking is easier than the Appalachian Trail. So far, I am finding it equal, but the knees and body are 6 years older than when I did the AT.

Click image for larger version

Name:	10FA3C16-C269-44F3-B296-17D1B1E05661.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	25280549

Name:	C65C2FBA-9410-4293-BBE5-DEB63686A380.jpeg
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	25280550

Name:	A3F0BEEB-09C7-439E-BDB5-8F3D9C8090F7.jpeg
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	25280551

Name:	0A82D45C-AD77-42EF-9F36-5D86C78981D1.jpeg
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	25280552

Name:	55AD615E-6119-45CF-92F8-0A8FB938ED65.jpeg
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	25280553

Name:	D744A008-D314-4EBA-A47D-FCDA4EB4A7AC.jpeg
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	25280554

Name:	714A1399-89E6-4897-9FEB-9A97814C0BEC.jpeg
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	25280555

Been following on IG. Good luck and have fun!

Comment

In!!!!

Comment

I was wondering why we didn't warrant a thread on this hike! Thanks for cranking it up and good luck!!

Comment

Very cool and be safe. Thank you keep us updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Living good brother!
            6 yrs, wow, doesn't seem that long ago....

Comment

My step son did it solo a couple of years ago. Went all the way into Canada, then when he wanted to come home he realized he didn't have his passport. He finally talked his way back into the states.

He took some awesome pictures on the way. He actually wants to go back and do it again. Says there's some places he didn't get to explore very well.

Comment

awesome...following!

Comment

Following you on instagram and glad to see it posted here as well.

Thanks for sharing it with us!
                  Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                    Living good brother!
                    6 yrs, wow, doesn't seem that long ago....
                    Exactly!

Comment

You sir….are a machine! Love following this thread!

Comment

Was wondering when you would get this thread started, I have also been following you guys on instagram. The DUDE lives

Comment

Cool thread.

Comment

Awesome!

Following; best of luck to you folks…

Comment

Thanks. I will see how I can keep this updated. We finally broke the vortex of Big Bear late this afternoon fully supplied. This next section is a 75 mile hike to Cajon Pass (I-15 area). Seems like the terrain will be low desert and less elevation gains than last two sections. We did a whopping 2 miles this afternoon…. But that placed us out of town and we will be hiking by 7:30 am tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X