Fishing line expiration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fishing line expiration

Im not old old but Im getting old enough to see spools of mono in my kits that are probably a decade old. How long does mono last out of sunlight stored dry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure but I’m going to say not that long. If I pull some off the spool and it curls I chunk it

Comment

I have kept mine inside on 5# & 10# spools for years and it’s good to go. This is heavier mono. Not sure where you have stored it but if inside in a closet with temp control and humidity control you should be good

Comment

I'd say probably good. Take off some and test it. Should be weakest on the outside or the first 10 yards you pull off.

Comment

Run it through your fingertips and see if it leaves a white powder residue. If you does...chunk em.

Comment

If it has been inside I would say a few years. Otherwise it is cheap enough to replace.

Comment

Its been kept dry but not temp controlled. I hate to lose good fish. Probably will dump it. 10 years at least. 8 pound and 15 pound test.

Comment

I chunk it if its more than a year old. I just can't stand the thought of losing a fish on old line.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

Comment

Mono is fairly cheap. Chunk it.

Comment

Thanks for the input.

Comment

If kept out of UV and extreme heat it'll last a heck of a long time. I have bulk spools of mono that are dang near 20 years old that are still absolutely fine. They are stored in their original boxes in a closet and you'd never know they weren't brand new spools.

Comment

If stored indoors-

2-3 years mono
                        7-8 yrs fluoro

.....before the integrity begins to at least somewhat break down.

Just loosen the drag a little and go have fun.

Comment

I lose enough fish on new line, if it’s performing I’m not changing. But then again, I’ll turn and cast into the wind to a fish enough times that a few good backlashes will require a new spool before it gets old.

Comment

Big Game is so cheap I'd throw away whatever you got and just buy new.

Comment

Depends on what you’re fishing for

Comment

Working...
                              X