Serious Thread for once...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serious Thread for once...

I like humor to be involved 99.9999999% of my life.

This thread will be a tad different....

For those of you who have retired. What are the top 3 things you wish you knew 8-10yrs prior? It can be anything. Money, Self Care, Boredom, Part Time job, whatever the case might be?

I know several who retired and went back to PT or FT employment. Simply for purpose or something to do. What are/were some emotional struggles you had to deal with?

Basically. I am leaning on you for what to mentally prepare for, financial surprises, the unforeseen...

I wish I would have retired sooner.

Only issue I’ve had is learning not to interrupt my wife’s routine.

Comment

retired in jan. after 31 years on a breadtruck now i work part time doing what i`ve wanted to do since i was a kid and its great . only regret is not retiring earlier to do more of what i like to do.

Comment

My suggestion (if the option is available to you) to ease into retirement. In my case I cut back a year ago from full days to half days. I am self employed so I had the option of doing this. I now work mornings and spend the rest of the day practicing for full retirement. So far so good - good luck to you

Comment

I retired at 63. We had moved to Colorado for my wife’s job. Bought a nice place on 35 acres in the Wet Mountains outside of Florence. I had to retire to care for our special needs son. Her company screwed her around and she resigned. We sold the place and ended up back here in Katy.
          My biggest issues are boredom and loneliness. Im thankful for our son and couldn’t imagine life without him, but sometimes you need someone that can carry on a conversation with you on your level, if that makes sense.
          Getting old bothers me as well. I go to the YMCA regularly, walk, run, lift weights. Whatever I can do. I developed bicep and rotor cuff tendinitis and now that comes and go,s like the plantar fasciitis. So kinda limited there on what I can do.
          So basically stay active and it would be nice to have a lot of friends. My last buddy died from esophageal cancer two years ago so I don’t speak to many folks nowadays. If you have kids and grandkids you should be set!

Comment

I am about 10 years out myself from my first retirement. I was told to just be happy spend time with family and kids. Sure you can make money but tomorrow is not promised so enjoy your family and kids while you can. I see death everyday and it really puts life into perspective. Some people get so caught up trying to “keep up with the Jones” and are so stressed out they forget to live.

Comment

I been fully retired since 04...went from almost wide open at work(JOB)...to almost wide open being (RETIRED)...I never run out of projects! I do not like to be out of Projects before my wife passed she helped my list keep goin...Now I gota do it alone...But lookin at my list plenty to do...Install mini -split AC to replace old central unit...Semi restore 15 1973 Whaler and trailer mod....Finish up tunnel removal on Alu boat...Daughter and I to take 3W trip to Ark /Ohio /Ill/Wis/ then back to Ark/then Home(to visit old friends and family) and if I run out Church always in need of something...oh yea Fish and look for Deer Lease in spare time...

Comment

I may try in two more years. It’s going to be close.

Comment

Start on your bucket list things as soon as you retire. Don't put them off and think you will have time later on to get to them. Time flies when you get older and then you are too old or health keeps you from it.

Comment

I retired 10 years ago today . . I do at least 1 thing a day maybe more . . Split time between home and lake house . . Always something to do . . Love it

Comment

Get out of debt entirely if possible

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                        This . .

Comment

Originally posted by kerrbow View Post
                          Start on your bucket list things as soon as you retire. Don't put them off and think you will have time later on to get to them. Time flies when you get older and then you are too old or health keeps you from it.
                          Another good one. My thoughts on this are start on your bucket list way before retirement. Lots of that stuff is not nearly as fun as you age.

Comment

Retired last Jan. Been the best 15 months of my life.
                            Like others above my biggest regret is I wasnt able to retire 10 years earlier. Getting married for the first time at 36 and then raising kids put me behind

We bought some “raw” acreage for cattle/hunting and it has kept me too busy. Not enough time for my hobbies of fishing, hunting or golf. But this year should be better.

Biggest concern is rising costs. Fixed income and rising costs. No debt, but gas, food, feed, etc keep rising. Health insurance is the number one cost.

Second concern is falling behind on technology and important trends. Coworkers kept me up to date on Those.

Health is not a concern yet, but would be if I waited any longer to retire. Luckily I can still enjoy ranch chores that require muscle.

Time flies. If you have a few acres, big garden/yard, shop, etc there are always projects.
                            Sometimes I want rain for a vacation from my list of to-do items.

I don’t require lots of social interaction. even “in the country” like us there is plenty of activities to fill that void of work friends for those that need to talk. Church, volunteering, fundraisers, dinner group, neighbors, etc.

My wife is younger and didn’t want to retire. Not sure how either of us would like it if we were together 24/7. I heard some wives hate that. That sounds sad to me.

Retiring isn’t for everyone, but for this born and raised country boy who retired back to the country, it has made me a nicer, happier and healthier person.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                              This has been in place for several yrs now. Great advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X