6.5-284 or 6.5x55 sw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5-284 or 6.5x55 sw

I think I am tired of my .308win , it just falls on it’s face @ +/- 300meters
    My hunting buddy was ragging me about getting a better hunting gun , so we
    Shot his .270wsm & 6.5prc , and now I think I am sold , but want something different then the usual 6.5cm .
    The gun shops have piles of CM and others in every major brand , who chambers
    A 65-284 or 6.5x55 and not custom??

Ain’t nothing wrong with your tried and true 308.
    I really like my 6.5x284 Norma though.
    I had a 3 inch group at 1000 yards back in 2016.

Comment

I'm not sure who makes a factory rifle in the calibers you mentioned but a few are offering factory rifles in 280ai now. You can sling a little heavier pill with the 280 over the 6.5s and still have lots of reach.

Comment

Savage makes a 6.5x284. I have several Savages in different calibers. They all shoot lights out. I even have a Savage AR15 that stacks bullet holes with 77 grainers.

Comment

Don’t overlook the 6.5-300 or 26 Nosler, not trying to change your mind but expand it with more options.

Comment

I have a factory savage 6.5x284.
            I haven't stretched it out but it shoots 140 grain accubond very well out to 300 yards.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Christensen, Cooper, Savage, Nosler on the 6.5x284 and I think Winchester chambers the swede but not for sure. I've got a 6.5x284 in a Nosler I'd let go of, have multiple rifles in that caliber. Pm if interested.

Comment

Cjun Blake has a 6.5x284 in the classifieds

Comment

Any particular aversion to a custom build?

Comment

How far are you wanting to shoot? Are you wanting to hunt long distance or just hit targets?

Comment

6.5x284 is a great round but barrel life is short lived.

Comment

Tikka used to chamber a 6.5x55. Not sure if they still do.

Comment

Love the 6.5x284!! Started shooting distance and reloading on one (Savage LRH 111)

Theyre very easy to load for, great bullet selection and brass ain't impossible to find.

My current 6.5x284 is a Cooper M52 and I think Savage makes a 110, 116 and the 111LRH still. Christensen also makes the Ridgeline but typical CA roulette and its a 26" barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by Spivey View Post
                            6.5x284 is a great round but barrel life is short lived.
                            Why? It's a mild round as in 3000-3100 fps with a 130 gr bullet.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Bald Guy View Post
                              Why? It's a mild round as in 3000-3100 fps with a 130 gr bullet.
                              I run a 6x284 for long target i have burned out 2 barrels already. i personally get 10000 to 1200 round out of a barrel but I'm shoooting 30-40 round during a match and a another 30 or so practice the week before the match so a barrel last me year.

Comment

Working...
                              X