No announcement yet.

Ordering a Ram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My son in law has a 2020 Power Wagon with the 6.2 gas engine. Best mpg he has gotten was 11.2 and that was the day he drove it off the lot. OF course, he drives it like its a hot rod. But he likes it a lot. But if I have to tow my 16' lowboy, I'll use my 2011 F150. It tows just a well and gets better gas mileage when towing.

Comment

Originally posted by jfk47 View Post
      My son in law has a 2020 Power Wagon with the 6.2 gas engine. Best mpg he has gotten was 11.2 and that was the day he drove it off the lot. OF course, he drives it like its a hot rod. But he likes it a lot. But if I have to tow my 16' lowboy, I'll use my 2011 F150. It tows just a well and gets better gas mileage when towing.
      I'm not all that concerned with MPG. I really don't have the need to tow anything heavier than a bass boat or ranger anymore + not going to commute in it.

Comment

Originally posted by TreyRo View Post
        Yea I noticed that. I assume because of lower spring rates. Just wondered if any of the other PW stuff (sway bars etc) interfered with a gooseneck.
        I have seen one pulling a large 5th wheel camper.
        I would assume you would be fine. You may check on adding airbags.

Comment

Originally posted by TreyRo View Post
          Awesome thanks for all the info.

A bit bummed the ram boxes aren't an option at the moment as those were on my list.

I think a power wagon will be a good fit. About the only thing I'm curious about is if you can run a gooseneck on one since the rear suspension is softer. It would be used rarely but I want the option.
          Check the towing specs on the Power Wagon before you buy one. All that fancy suspension comes at a huge towing capacity cost.

LWD

Comment

I've talked to several dealers in the Houston area, and they're saying anywhere from 3-6 months for an order. I'm still kicking tires and trying to decide on what options I want to include so I get more bang for the buck; Plus, I didn't realize how far out an order will take. I want to sell my Tundra vs trading in, and don't want to be without a truck to get to my lease... I'll probably use South Fork in Manvel. They seemed more willing to help and easier to deal with (their lifetime powertrain warranty is a big plus, too).

Comment

Originally posted by LWD View Post
              Check the towing specs on the Power Wagon before you buy one. All that fancy suspension comes at a huge towing capacity cost.

LWD
              Talked about that earlier.... I'm aware and my gooseneck use will be once in a blue moon and somewhat lightweight for a gooseneck. (I make signs= Large but not all that heavy. Basically not much heavier than an empty trailer).

Comment

Originally posted by Tbuddyandroby View Post
                I've talked to several dealers in the Houston area, and they're saying anywhere from 3-6 months for an order. I'm still kicking tires and trying to decide on what options I want to include so I get more bang for the buck; Plus, I didn't realize how far out an order will take. I want to sell my Tundra vs trading in, and don't want to be without a truck to get to my lease... I'll probably use South Fork in Manvel. They seemed more willing to help and easier to deal with (their lifetime powertrain warranty is a big plus, too).
                I'm in good shape to order thankfully. Sold my F250 but have a commuter and an older silverado for when I need a truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                  Elaborate, please sir?
                  The Chevys I've had had the turning radius of a battleship. You turn the wheel and there's no feedback at all. You have to turn the wheel about 30 times to do a 90 degree turn. My Ford was just a little better except it felt like someone is yanking the wheel back.

All of the Dodges I have driven, including rental cars, the rack and pinion steering is tight, and controlled. You don't have to do a full revolution to turn.

Originally posted by RedYote View Post
                  I drove a new ram rebel last year. **** thing drifted all over the road like a SOB. Really cool truck but it couldn’t drive straight even in West Texas.
                  That really surprises me. My mega cab turns like the others from Dodge I have driven. This is my 3rd mega cab.

Comment

For those wanting to go after the lifetime power train warranties, keep this in mind.

1. They are not free. One way or another you will end up paying for it cause the dealership is not going to take the hit on each vehicle sold.

2. All recommended service by the manufacturer has to be done on time, and documented no matter how small.

3. Most require routine inspections to be done in addition to the routine maintenance. Dodge did this with their lifetime warranties that they offered for a while. If you didn’t bring it in, your warranty was voided even if there were no problems.

Be cautious of them. For some people they do pay off in the long run, but companies only offer them because they make money on them. They don’t make money by approving every claim. If you don’t have your ducks in a row, all the time, the aren’t worth it. Buyer beware.

Comment

I have never noticed a Ram turning any better than any other vehicle...

Comment

There’s a dealer in San Antonio the offers a lifetime warranty. It’s NOT very good. Basically the only thing covered is the internal engine and transmission components.

So Alternators, starters, air conditioning components are all not covered. Most of their customers find this out when its too late. The service advisor says, x is not covered and its $1900 to replace it. But don’t worry we have financing.

My independent mechanic is right down the street from them. He gets customers in his shop everyday trying to find an alternative to this dealers not covered repairs. Most of them bought the car at the dealer because they couldn’t afford costly repairs. The dealer is very predatory in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbuddyandroby View Post

The Lifetime warranties I have seen required you to have all recommended service done at their dealership at the intervals specified in the owners manual. Keep that in mind, it could cost you thousands more than doing it yourself or paying an independent mechanic to do the same service.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                            The Lifetime warranties I have seen required you to have all recommended service done at their dealership at the intervals specified in the owners manual. Keep that in mind, it could cost you thousands more than doing it yourself or paying an independent mechanic to do the same service.
                            Thanks all for the info. about "lifetime warranties." I'll definitely keep that in mind! I've almost talked myself out of ordering/buying for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                              Southfork doesn't require the service to be performed at their dealership but it does have to be performed by an ASE Certified mechanic and called in to the company issuing the warranty.

The one they offer includes the differential(s) and transfer case, if the vehicle is 4WD.

Comment

Working...
                              X