Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scopes...rimfire vs. regular scopes What is the difference.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scopes...rimfire vs. regular scopes What is the difference.

I recently got a Savage .22 bolt gun that will have a can on it before the year is out(hopefully). Do ya really need a "rimfire" scope or will any old scope work?

I have an old bushnell banner 3-9x32 i think. Was thinking bout putting that on it. Don't know what size rings it needs either.

Ideas / suggestions.

Any scope will work. Parallax is a little different between centerfire and rimfire scopes.

Comment

You can "see" the difference yourself very easy, especially in a "cheap" scope like the banner...
      Sit it where you can look thru it without touching it. set up a "target" at say 25 yards or so and make note where the crosshair is (like on a dot on a target or something). Then move your head in a circular motion. The crosshair will appear to move around the aim point in a similar motion. So what this tells you is that you aim point will be different than the impact point depending on how you look thru the scope. With a rimfire scope it is adjusted so that the parallax is about 50 yards or it will have an adjustable parallax objective lens. A "regular" rifle scope is parallax neutral at about 125 yards or so.

Comment

What saltwaterslick said.

Rimfire scopes across the board for the most part have a 50yd parallax where all other scopes will have a parallax at 100 or further. Of course you have adjustable objective and adjustable parallax scopes that will work with any gun or caliber.

Comment

Leupold makes a great little 3-9x33 EFR scope for rimfires...it is nice to be able to focus in on the short ranges.

Comment

Some rimfire scopes are not made to withstand the recoil of centerfire rifles. Another consideration, especially if you're talking about putting it on a rifle that has some recoil.

Comment

The old rimfire scopes use to be 3/4" tube iirc.

Comment

This

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                What saltwaterslick said.

Rimfire scopes across the board for the most part have a 50yd parallax where all other scopes will have a parallax at 100 or further. Of course you have adjustable objective and adjustable parallax scopes that will work with any gun or caliber.
                Good meat ain't cheap, Cheap meat ain't good. That said, you can get some decent scopes these days for a reasonable price. I find AO, adjustable objective, good for targets and fun. Hunting not so much, rarely adjust them when hunting. Aim Small,

Comment

Thanx folks, I was thinking along those lines about the parallax. the shots from the .22 won't e over 50 yards for the most part. Most will be suppressed. The Banner scope is an old one sitting in a box. Guess it wouldn't hurt to get a good scope for it.

Comment

You can actually get a nice 4X rimfire Leupold pretty reasonable...
                    If you didn't want to do that, Hawke Sport Optics has some real nice adjustable parallax 1" tube scopes that would work really well. I use their scopes on my PCP air guns at ranges from a few feet out beyond 100 yards. They're clear and very stable and perfect for rimfires.

Comment

For precision. parallax is a must so I use US Optics and NightForce on my .22's. For general plinking and small game hunting Leupold makes some nice rimfire scopes. These are 2x7's on some CZ's and do a great job.

Comment

Some very nice guns ya got there.

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                        For precision. parallax is a must so I use US Optics and NightForce on my .22's. For general plinking and small game hunting Leupold makes some nice rimfire scopes. These are 2x7's on some CZ's and do a great job.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                          Some very nice guns ya got there.
                          Thanks, I really like to work with the 452 and 455 CZ's. Here is a trainer I built off a 455 action.

Comment

Thats a good looking stock, what is it and what color?

Pm Sent

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                            Thanks, I really like to work with the 452 and 455 CZ's. Here is a trainer I built off a 455 action.

Comment

Working...
                            X