Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone interested in a photo story competition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone interested in a photo story competition?

I'm loving the best single shot idea, but I thought it might be fun to have a long term project going as well. The reason I got my SLR was for my Visual Communications class in grad school. This was our assignment, taken straight off the syllabus that I was dorky enough to save:

"Come up with a story that can told in pictures. It should be a story that you can explore in some depth and should be of widespread interest. It may not be an event, a single person, a simple collection of pictures, a day-in-the-life, or a how-to type of theme. It should have a narrative story line. You will need a beginning, a middle and an end. Think of this as writing a story but using photos instead of words ... In the end, you should have between six and 10 edited photos."

Mine was on equine therapy. I shot three different programs over the course of two months. A big goal was to have variety - in setting, subject, and style - to give a true sense of our story. We also did a breif introduction and captions to help with the narrative.

Would anyone be interested in doing this as a TBH summer project? It's a great way to grow as a photographer and also a cool opportunity to expand the TBH storytelling tradition. We could do periodic check ins, ask for advice, share some of the results along the way, and really make it a learning experience.

Also, ours don't need to have such a serious journalistic slant, but I do think branching out beyond basic play-by-play hunting recaps would be a good exercise. Our very own Russell Graves has some great examples of a how to do that even when telling the tale of a single hunt: http://www.russellgraves.com/essays.html.

So, sound like a good idea?

yes

The art of bringing the story home in pictures is a huge part of what makes the green screen successful. Some of the best "hunts" over the years have had no LDP and were simply photographic essays.

Bownanza, POINT, the TBH Golf Tournament, birth of a child... the list is endless.
    Last edited by Legdog; 05-07-2008, 02:10 PM.

Comment

As Leggy mentioned, we have done this type of format from the get go here. Semi-live hunts comes to mind, and as prolific as I am with travel and hauling the camera, how many do you want to see? I have, at my last count, roughly 26,000 pics on my home box and this list is growing.

It's fun to put these things together. I covered my first P&Y in 2003 and a first Antelope hunt in New Mexico with a lot of pics.

Covering a few classic car projects for my Dad now but some of this material will take a lot of time....those old guys take their time
      Last edited by AtTheWall; 05-07-2008, 02:32 PM.

Comment

I do something along those lines with Shutterfly Photo Books.

Comment

And what's scary is, the 26,000 pics on my home pc is still behind my old post count here on TBH.com. Before the crash of 2006 LOL!

Comment

I'm in. I have a story in mind already and will be easy for me to find photo ops.

Comment

Will how you stuck a nail in your knee is painful, not interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaspro View Post
                Will how you stuck a nail in your knee is painful, not interesting.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	icon_mfinger.gif
Views:	3
Size:	156 Bytes
ID:	23840193

Comment

Working...
                X