Feeder build questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeder build questions?

I’ve been toying with the idea of building a high cap stand and fill feeder. Figuring a 3x3 box out of 12ga sheet metal (open to suggestions). What I’m having a hard time figuring is how to cut and make sure I have the correct angle for the built in funnel. See picture below.

Does anyone have some plans drawn up or suggestions on how to make these right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a 36" wide box, I would draw up trapezoids that are 36" wide at top, 10" wide at bottom, and 16" Tall. That should get you about a 1300 lb feeder.

My 1,000 Lb feeders are 34"x34"x30" bins with very similar bottom funnel dimensions and they are dead on weight-wise. 12 gauge is the same material I build mine out of, but I cross brace the tops of them to keep them square so the lids will always fit correctly. I'll dig up a pic

Comment

Originally posted by Ramball36 View Post
      For a 36" wide box, I would draw up trapezoids that are 36" wide at top, 10" wide at bottom, and 16" Tall. That should get you about a 1300 lb feeder.

My 1,000 Lb feeders are 34"x34"x30" bins with very similar bottom funnel dimensions and they are dead on weight-wise. 12 gauge is the same material I build mine out of, but I cross brace the tops of them to keep them square so the lids will always fit correctly. I'll dig up a pic

Did you bend the bottoms in to create the funnel? I don’t have a press break or anything to bend sheet metal.

Comment

On the feeder we are building, we measured ours 24" wide and and we wanted it to be 12" lower than the feeder bottom. We measured that to be 16". So we cut 4 triangles that were 24" wide at the best and 16" tall. At the point where the 4 triangles meet we simply found a piece of pipe and welded it in.

**I have no idea why the pictures are sideways**
        Attached Files

Comment

That's probably the easiest way to do it without a metal brake. Looks very nice btw.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
            Did you bend the bottoms in to create the funnel? I don’t have a press break or anything to bend sheet metal.

You can cut them as 4 separate trapezoids, tack them together, then fit them up to the sides of the bin and weld them up. I cut them out complete as 2 sides with 2 trapezoids attached, with two relief cuts: one relief cut right where they would be broke with a machine, and the other relief cut where the sides would be broke to make a corner of the bin. Then you don't have to fit up as much steel to weld, and with 12 gauge it's pretty dang easy to fill the relief cuts in afterwards. Pics to follow I know that sounds confusing

Comment

Comment

Working...
              X