No announcement yet.

JFT Turkey Tour 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've already decided my next gun purchase will be a 410 so Kayden can get her first bird next year

Chels said 4 1/2 is too young, but I don't think so!

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
      I've already decided my next gun purchase will be a 410 so Kayden can get her first bird next year

Chels said 4 1/2 is too young, but I don't think so!

Chels may be right there with a shotgun.

You better spend more time with her and that gun to get her good with it than you do shooting your bow if you do....

Comment

Originally posted by smart View Post
        chels may be right there with a shotgun.

You better spend more time with her and that gun to get her good with it than you do shooting your bow if you do....
        smh!

Comment

Little weekend recap

Against my advice and will, we hunted a couple of different spots on Saturday. My brother (Logan's dad) had a few places that he lined up and wanted to give those a shot. So the "Corner Post" spot would wait until Sunday.

We scouted just enough to hear them on the roost Friday evening, but that was about it. Saturday morning had us pretty much blind and setting on a sender that parallels a creek. The birds were there but went the other way.

Saturday evening had us in a spot I used to hunt a lot as a kid, but haven't in several years. We setup close to the river and had birds gobbling almost immediately. But as hunting the river bottoms usually go, the birds were on the other side of the river and wouldn't come across. And it was hot! Right at roost time, we had several birds on our side but they roosted before they made it to us.

Overall, Saturday was some good hunting, but I was a little frustrated having to drag my 6yr old nephew through the grind. Especially since I had 9 gobblers patterned at one of my spots.

It was a no brainer where we were going to sit this morning. I do not know the exact tree where the birds roost, so I wanted to get setup nice and early. We were setup and ready by about 6am. Finally at 7:17, the neighbor's rooster fired up and the gobblers followed. Of the 9 longbeards, there is one (I assume super old) that is first to show and first to leave the field. He has been a complete loner through my scouting trips. Sure enough, around 7:50 I heard some wings flap and he landed in the field.

For a brief moment, he was fired up and gobbled a few times. He was at about 75 yards when I heard a gobble from down the river. The loner immediately dropped outta strut and skirted us. As soon as the new tom hit the field, the loner ran (and I mean ran) out of site.

The new bird was a couple hundred yards out and still didn't see the decoys. I assume the commotion from the loner had him curious. He answered all of my yelps and as soon as he could see the decoys, he started running in.

He started whipping the breeder Jake and Logan just sat there staring. I asked him several times if he was going to shoot and he said "Yeah!", but he would never aim. He was jacked up!!! Finally he was able to get a good aim and make the shot. The bird dropped and we rushed out to grab him.
          Great story! Can’t beat that for a first bird!

I bet next near he asks to start off at uncle Clay’s hunting spot first!

That kid has had a heckuva run the last few weeks with the mutton bustin’ and now his first bird!

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
            Great story! Can’t beat that for a first bird!

I bet next near he asks to start off at uncle Clay’s hunting spot first!

That kid has had a heckuva run the last few weeks with the mutton bustin’ and now his first bird!

I was saying the same thing today!

Comment

Way to go getting him his first bird. That is awesome, now you have him ruined and he will want to top that bird every year. Was there ever any doubt from the followers on here that the young guy would punch his 1st tag? His guide was going to get him on a bird come hell or high water. Job well done Clay

Comment

smh!

You misspelled Chelska and Smart are right![emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

Congrats on the youth season success!

Comment

Congrats to the youngster and his guide!!!

I want to be like Chew when I grow old.... er.

Comment

Congrats to the youth hunter, great bird!

Comment

Threw Logan’s hunt on YouTube. Check it out.

Comment

JFT Turkey Tour 2019

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LniVeKAI2VM&t=13s"]South Texas Youth Turkey Hunt - YouTube[/ame]

This one is visible on folks with a laptop. So I linked it too!

That is some world class awesome right there!
                          Last edited by Smart; 03-11-2019, 08:15 PM.

Comment

just seeing this!

What would SMART do??!!!
                            Winner winner!

Comment

Great video. That was hilarious putting the kiddo through the shooting window and then the guide does the same. If I tried that it wouldn't go very smoothly

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
                                Great video. That was hilarious putting the kiddo through the shooting window and then the guide does the same. If I tried that it wouldn't go very smoothly

Hahaha I said the same thing....I'd have mowed the whole thing down.

Comment

Working...
                                X