Spotting scopes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spotting scopes

I’m interested to know y’alls thoughts on spotting scopes. Not wanting to spend the money on super high end stuff, more along the lines of a Vortex diamond back 20-60x80. Curious though how much better the viper line is as far as clarity for the xtra money. Also interested in recommendations of other brands that perform well at this price point.

You may want to look at the endeavor brand scopes. I have one and for the price, it is amazingly good glass. There are tons of supporters of the brand with lots of reviews over on rokslide that you can read.

Comment

Spotting scopes

I’ve got the vortex diamondback 20-60x60 and if I had it all to do over again I would spend the extra money. It’s for sale by the way. I’ll make you a hell of a deal lol. Early morning and late afternoon it’s borderline useless, but middle of the day or once the sun is up it turns into a decent spotter.

Comment

I have an inexpensive ($350) one on and expensive one (1200). I feel that the cheap one works well for my Texas hunting but no way I would use the cheap one hunting out west where there is a lot of glassing. The eye strain when using it for hours is hugely different. My Texas hunts I can't see farther than 2-300 yards and only use the scope for a few minutes at a time.

Comment

Good stuff so far guys. Thanks. Jaker, do you think the 80mm vs the 60mm would make up the difference for early and late light or is it a glass quality issue?

Comment

Txsurveyor, is it the endeavor by vanguard?? Curious which model you have if so.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Verde View Post
              Txsurveyor, is it the endeavor by vanguard?? Curious which model you have if so.

Thanks
              Yes, it is by vanguard. I have the Endeavor HD 15-45 for my backpacking hunts.

Comment

What are you using it for?

I have the Viper 80 mm, and found I leave it behind a lot because good nockers work just as good as a spotting scope (I don't need to count points from 1200 yards away, just need to know there is something on top of his head), and save a lot of weight when trying to catch elk. If you are just trying to see deer in Texas, I would go 80mm because you aren't lugging it around.

Comment

Good info. Not to worried about weight. Have a Colorado mule deer hunt coming up I hope , but also for family vacations. Went to Yellowstone last year and would have liked to have had something better than binos. Planning on Rocky Mountain National park this year and would like to be able to glass.

Comment

Spend the money and shop used. Optics are never a bad investment.

Comment

I've got the Vortex Viper 65mm. It's so much better than Diamondback. Contact Arrowsmith on here. He's a Vortex dealer and usually has the best deals on new Vortex. I use mine for Long Range shooting and New Mexico hunting. If you go Vortex don't go below Viper series. You'll thank me later for it. As for other brands in that price range I honestly don't have any experience personally but friends have said they don't compare to Vortex Viper in clarity. Their's might be lighter but Vortex was better in low light clarity and light gathering which is very critical when hunting.
                      Last edited by splitbeam145; 03-15-2019, 02:24 PM.

Comment

I’ve owned a viper spotting scope. Don’t waste your money.

Comment

Good info. Not to worried about weight. Have a Colorado mule deer hunt coming up I hope , but also for family vacations. Went to Yellowstone last year and would have liked to have had something better than binos. Planning on Rocky Mountain National park this year and would like to be able to glass.
                          What area do you live in? You are welcome to come by and look through mine and see what you think.

Comment

They sell new stuff and refurbished vortex optics. The refirbs are like new that I have experienced and have read on reviews and the carry the VIP warranty.

Comment

Good stuff so far guys. Thanks. Jaker, do you think the 80mm vs the 60mm would make up the difference for early and late light or is it a glass quality issue?

The glass is significantly less clear around the edges on the diamondback in my opinion. I’m sure the 80 would help but again the edges would just be brighter and still not clear.

Comment

Working...
                              X