Email hacked and flooded, HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Email hacked and flooded, HELP!

This morning at 7:13 my Gmail account started getting flooded with emails. They are in every language in the book. Most of them I can't read, Spanish, Russian, Greek, etc. They are all emails thanking me for signing up and to confirm my subscription, or joining their site. A search on Google said some account of mine, somewhere, has been hacked.
    Has anyone ever had this happen? Were you able to determine the cause, and solution?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear that! I've never had it happened, but I'd go ahead and change all of my passwords and probably get a new email account.

Comment

Never happen to me either but get all passwords changed asap!

Comment

it happened to me at the first of the summer on Hotmail. I literally got about 5,000 emails the first day. I dumped my inbox about 3 days and then it slowed down to a hundred or less. Now, its like a 10 a day. I have unsubscribed to a bunch, but honestly, i dont know if there is an easier way or not.

Comment

I won't be able to do anything until after work, so it looks like I have another 8 hours of being hacked. It will take me days, or weeks, to change them all, this is going to suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
            I won't be able to do anything until after work, so it looks like I have another 8 hours of being hacked. It will take me days, or weeks, to change them all, this is going to suck.
            I have some free time right now. Send me your passwords and I can change them for you.

Just kidding.

This happened to my wife about a year ago. After changing password she had to work with gmail administrators to get emails stopped/blocked.

Good luck to you sir.

J

Comment

It happened to me earlier this year. My gmail was flooded with like 500 emails, all in Chinese and most looked like some sort of propaganda message. I reported it to Apple, changed my Gmail password, changed my iPhone/Cloud password and deleted all of the emails. Haven’t had a problem since.

Comment

They are still coming in. I'm sure I've recieved 5000 emails, so far. I read where someone said they flood your account to bury real password change notifications. I've scanned through some of the emails, but haven't seen one of those yet.

Comment

Just report as spam. Gmail takes care of the rest. And change all your passwords.

Comment

how do you report it to Gmail?

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                      Just report as spam. Gmail takes care of the rest. And change all your passwords.
                      Yes, it's SPAM however it was requested by someone, not me. I've noticed 2 or 3 different names that they have used when signing me up for the subscriptions, and stuff. None are my name. One is like sagrhsualrnva, not even a real name.

I called my bank and canceled my debit cards. They suggest closing my account and opening a different one.

Comment

Originally posted by huntmaster View Post
                        how do you report it to Gmail?
                        How do you do that? I know how to report them as SPAM, but they are all from different web sites. That would just keep duplicates from coming through.

Comment

See if you can change you e-mail setting to only receive e-mails from people in your e-mail list. That will slow them down for now at least.

Comment

I had a similar situation a few months ago, but it was really more of a 'spoofing' issue than hacking. Started getting 1,000's of emails, mostly in response to something that appeared to come from me or 'bouncebacks' of emails I supposedly sent.
                            Changing passwords didn't help much as the email 'address' was what was out there being used.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                              Yes, it's SPAM however it was requested by someone, not me. I've noticed 2 or 3 different names that they have used when signing me up for the subscriptions, and stuff. None are my name. One is like sagrhsualrnva, not even a real name.

I called my bank and canceled my debit cards. They suggest closing my account and opening a different one.
                              What do your email and bank have to do with each other? Hopefully not sharing passwords. Or do you think they may try to reset your bank password?

Does your email have to be hacked to receive emails like this? Seems like they could sign you up to receive emails without actually having your email passwords. Just curious.

I would make sure you have multi factor authentication set up on all your financial sites. This requires a text in addition to password to access. Also consider LastPass to make your passwords stronger (password manager).

Comment

Working...
                              X