Weather station?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weather station?

Whats the best wireless weather station?

Can’t help with the best but the AcuRite weather stations are junk. My daughter’s died after two years. They wanted as much for repair parts as a new one cost. It’s easier to communicate with the dead than their “customer service”.

Comment

I have a Davis Instruments Vantage Vue, wireless and I really like it. I also got the link setup so I can see all the data from anywhere with either my iPhone or iPad. They are not cheap but was worth it to me.
      Last edited by deerwatcher51; 12-04-2019, 05:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
        Can’t help with the best but the AcuRite weather stations are junk. My daughter’s died after two years. They wanted as much for repair parts as a new one cost. It’s easier to communicate with the dead than their “customer service”.
        X2 my high dollar one didn’t last 6 months. Big pile of junk.

Comment

I have an Ambient Weather 2902A. Works great, and I have heard their customer svc is great, I've never had to deal with them on mine. Very pleased.

Comment

Ambient weather. I don't know much about it. My brother has been a station for years and swears by it. He set up a station at the lease and everyone on the place can access immediate weather. Or past weather coditions.

Comment

I also have the Davis and love it. I've had it about 5 years now and it's never missed a beat. https://www.amazon.com/Davis-Instrum.../dp/B002LLVFK0

Comment

Originally posted by pyrobow View Post
                Ambient weather. I don't know much about it. My brother has been a station for years and swears by it. He set up a station at the lease and everyone on the place can access immediate weather. Or past weather coditions.
                Can you please explain how this works as far as getting the station data at the lease and everyone able to access it? I am wanting to get a station for our ranch so we can check remotely when we aren't there. We do not have an internet connection up there. Are there any stations that can be wireless yet still transmit to the cloud and access remotely via cell? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
                  Can you please explain how this works as far as getting the station data at the lease and everyone able to access it? I am wanting to get a station for our ranch so we can check remotely when we aren't there. We do not have an internet connection up there. Are there any stations that can be wireless yet still transmit to the cloud and access remotely via cell? Thanks
                  Do you have cellphone reception at all on your ranch?
                  If so, you can build an enclosure to keep a cellphone inside.
                  Install a solar panel to keep that phone charged.
                  Hook up whatever weather station you want to that phone.
                  Then the weather station will upload the weather info to the cloud via the cellphones internet connection.

Cumbersome but it works.

There is another way using GSM relays but this cellphone method is the easiest option.

I don't know why they just don't add a reason gauge to wireless game cams and be Donne with it

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                    Do you have cellphone reception at all on your ranch?
                    If so, you can build an enclosure to keep a cellphone inside.
                    Install a solar panel to keep that phone charged.
                    Hook up whatever weather station you want to that phone.
                    Then the weather station will upload the weather info to the cloud via the cellphones internet connection.

Cumbersome but it works.

There is another way using GSM relays but this cellphone method is the easiest option.

I don't know why they just don't add a reason gauge to wireless game cams and be Donne with it
                    Yessir, cell phone coverage. That is interesting, haven't heard of being able to do that. After browsing net I found a few options that actually use a data sim card to send the data to cloud for remote retrieval. A couple were about a thousand but one was around 350. Doesn't look like it would use more than 8mb/month so a $5/data plan would get it done. With these warm/cold snaps it's becoming too common to find the gauge full of water and then frozen and cracked.

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
                      Yessir, cell phone coverage. That is interesting, haven't heard of being able to do that. After browsing net I found a few options that actually use a data sim card to send the data to cloud for remote retrieval. A couple were about a thousand but one was around 350. Doesn't look like it would use more than 8mb/month so a $5/data plan would get it done. With these warm/cold snaps it's becoming too common to find the gauge full of water and then frozen and cracked.
                      I say under $100 total easily should get it done then pay the monthly fee to the cellphone company for data usage

Comment

This is your best bet
                        Just get this and be done with it
                        It's $300 on Amazon
                        The method I was showing you was the Heathkit breadboard method. Not worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                          http://www.weatherstationforhome.com...er-data-alarm/

This is your best bet
                          Just get this and be done with it
                          It's $300 on Amazon
                          The method I was showing you was the Heathkit breadboard method. Not worth it.
                          Yup that's the cheapest of the 3 I had found. Surprised there aren't more choices but I guess everyone has internet these days. Thanks for the help 👍

Comment

Working...
                          X