Recycling Fraud? Help me understand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been reading multiple articles lately regarding China no longer buying our plastic recycling products. Some waste management companies are now no longer accepting plastics because China won't buy it. So basically they have built a business model not on actually recycling which is what we contracted them to do but to sell the junk for a profit. This business model doesn't allow for actual recycling if they are just denying the pick up of the plastics.

My questions are:

1. Have I (we) been paying these companies to recycle our recyclable waste only for them to not recycle but instead sell for a further profit to China who is in some cases recycling products but in many other cases just dumping it in their own landfills and oceans (our planet)?

2. Could this be considered some breach of contract? Is there recourse if my WM company tells me screw you and your plastic but keep paying us? Class action law suit?

Not sure about all of them but one deal I know of had it coming back in recycled form to be made into products again. China didn’t shut it down because their landfills, they did so because the process creates pollution.

Imagine that, yet another process where nobody actually measured the impact of downstream or upset team (ie batteries in electric cars + recharge energy OR another example is wind turbines).

Comment

Yeah I think we are being had on actually doing anything productive. Paying for the privilege as well.

Comment

I a 20/20 type show many years ago where they mentioned china buying our recyclables.
        I figured then that there was probably very little to no actual recycling going on.
        So now I dont bother with the trouble. And I dont pay a disposal fee for my tires either. They sell them so I figure they should buy them from me not the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
          I a 20/20 type show many years ago where they mentioned china buying our recyclables.
          I figured then that there was probably very little to no actual recycling going on.
          So now I dont bother with the trouble. And I dont pay a disposal fee for my tires either. They sell them so I figure they should buy them from me not the other way around.

X2 it’s another “Global Warming” scam

Comment

I dont buy into “climate change” in terms of human caused or that its as quick as a light switch. Scam to tax more of the masses. I do believe we have polluted the **** out if this earth. Cant remember the last time I didnt see a plastic bag or bottle while fishing or hiking. If these *******s are profiting off pretending to recycle I want a pound of flesh.

Comment

I doubt there are many cases in China where they buy plastic just to put in their landfills or oceans...

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                I doubt there are many cases in China where they buy plastic just to put in their landfills or oceans...
                That’s what I was thinking...

Comment

Been happening for a long time. Paper, plastics and anything that u recycle gets turned around for a profit.

Comment

My understanding is that they where getting paid to take it. Not buying. Now I doubt anything actually got recycled.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

u people recycle? i called em up and told em to come get their can i wasnt doing it and they said ok

Comment

Originally posted by UncleBubba View Post
                        X2 it’s another “Global Warming” scam
                        Kinda like the “Green Material” disposal places. I pay you so I can dispose of these tree branches and other crap from cleaning up my property and then you grind it up into mulch and sell it to a Mulch place. Make money in and make money on the way out.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrex750 View Post
                          Been happening for a long time. Paper, plastics and anything that u recycle gets turned around for a profit.
                          China has to find some source of material to make all the cheap crap.

Why not buy our trash at cheap and sell it back to us in a different shape

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            Between Harbor Freight and Yeti....ain't no dam way China was putting it in a landfill!

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                              Between Harbor Freight and Yeti....ain't no dam way China was putting it in a landfill!
                              Very good answer.

Comment

Working...
                              X