New Mexico Bound Part Deux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
    Good luck. We'll be out there the first of January. If you see a big cues deer, try to scare him over to 34.
    Did you draw an archery tag in 34?

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
      Did you draw an archery tag in 34?
      Drew archery javalina in 34 A and b. Deer is archery otc any unit

Comment

Actually I'll be in Arizona. That's what I get for posting while tired.

Comment

No dice the first day, saw some ancient sign and moved on to another area that looks more promising.

Got rained out today so I slept in and woke up for a load of Bubba's driving around a bad boy buggy right past my camp, nice and stealthy guys, you're sure to score that way! One of them had a gun, looked like a muzzy, not sure if muzzy is concurrent or what they were doing.

Found some good fresh sign and some new spots to try while driving around the forest svc roads.

Came into Carizozo to get breakfast while waiting for the rain to stop.

Comment

Good luck. Grind it out and use this fresh rain for your advantage.

Comment

Yeah its bone dry out there, I'm hoping that will green it up some.

Getting some coffee in carizozo and about to head back up into the NF land.

Comment

Good luck man! Be safe up there!

Comment

Just realized you're in 37. I had a mule deer lease for many years about 15 minutes north of Carizozo. Our place backed up to the forest. Killed several good deer there, including my avatar buck

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Today was a wash...went back up to my spot, rain picked back up and looks like it's set in for the night so I went back to town and got a room.

As much as I enjoy tent camping I just wasnt feeling freezing my dingdong off again tonight.

Man I've seen a ton of awesome muley sign, elk has been scarce but I did finally find some fresh tracks and some new spots to check.

Hopefully the badboy buggy crew are just weekend warriors...or at least theyll bump some elk my way

Comment

Good luck tomorrow. I know what you mean about camping. The older I get the less excited I am about spending a 33 degree night wet and cold. Hopefully the rain will have them moving tomorrow.

Comment

Its been unusually warm this winter and I cant see motels in Carizozo being any better than a tent. I guess you have to do what you have to do. Hopefully you can get some sleep and be in position to start glassing before the sun comes up. The bulls are out there. Hope you find some.

Comment

Just found this thread, good luck man! will be following along. Sounds like a tough hunt but stay after it!

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                          On my way to Unit 37 for late season archery elk!

Yeah I know... as Sneaky told me "You really like excersize in futility"

This hunt is antler point restricted so gotta be a big boi, 6 or more points on at least one side.

I'm going in DIY and mostly blind, have only e scouted the unit.

Here goes nothin!

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                            Yeah its bone dry out there, I'm hoping that will green it up some.

Getting some coffee in carizozo and about to head back up into the NF land.
                            Use the fresh rain to find fresh tracks. Once you find good sign get to the highest point and glass. U can fallow good tracks a long ways with a sporting scope to find where they are holding up. Fresh rain is a blessing when you don't have a animal locked down to hunt yet. Good luck and keep us posted

Comment

No dice on the elk, I only cut one good bull track and found one bull **** that wasn't ancient.

I did a lot of glassing, lost a day and a half to the rain (and almost ended up in the ditch) ended up seeing at least 15 cows but not a single bull.

Was a good experience though, could have done without the 28 degree weather and 30mph wind gusts though...

Comment

Working...
                              X