Deer travel further than thought...sometimes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer travel further than thought...sometimes

This is an interesting study of collared bucks in Mississippi. For more info, also click on the blue hyperlinks in the article.

That's crazy

Comment

We have migration routes up here that are amazing too.

Comment

They certainly can be very active.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
          We have migration routes up here that are amazing too.
          https://migrationinitiative.org/content/videos
          For sure, but the winter ranges up there are snowed in, and they must migrate out of necessity for food.

Comment

Very cool read. I had no idea they would travel so far

Comment

Its not uncommon for an east tx deer to go 5 miles to a breeding ground then right back home in December. I wrote about one that traveled much farther in my pressured deer thread.

Comment

I always figured they moved a lot when they want to.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                  Its not uncommon for an east tx deer to go 5 miles to a breeding ground then right back home in December. I wrote about one that traveled much farther in my pressured deer thread.
                  I may be wrong (I was once ), but I assume Mississippi deer are somewhat like East Texas deer. idk.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                    I may be wrong (I was once ), but I assume Mississippi deer are somewhat like East Texas deer. idk.
                    You might have been wrong once but not this time.

Comment

I hunt 8800 in what I could call NWT. Its the edge of Kent and Dickens county. We have a good relationship with most of our neighbors. I'll call it 30K contiguous acres of property and we all share pictures regularly. We have none rutting deer that will move up to 3 miles in between locations in the course of 1-2 days. We none rutting bucks that will make 10-12 mile round trips in the course of 1-2 weeks. We have deer that summer in one area and winter in another area 4-5 miles away. We are on the Slat Fork of the Brazos. One of my buddies calls it the salt fork jet stream. And while I say this about our deer it is not consistent. I'll say that 30-40% of them stay in 2ish mile radius a majority of the their lives only disappearing occasionally. I've all sorts of stories and pictures of deer we have seen only 1 or 2 times ever that never been on camera ever before or after (probably 40+cameras on the 30K acre area I'm speaking about). Where did they come from? Where did they go? I'll honestly say, you never know what will walk out and you can never count on seeing and shooting that deer you've let walk for the last few years either. It drives me crazy sometimes. I'd love to participate in some sort of study and see all the data for our area.

Comment

I killed a nice buck in 2015 that traveled 3.2 miles (in a straight route) that was on the east side of Lake Nacogdoches at 11:30 pm on Wednesday night. I killed him the next morning at 10:30 am, chasing a fawn, on the west side of Lake Nacogdoches. It was December 14th. When they've got it on their mind, they'll travel a lot farther than people give them credit for

Comment

I let my brother kill this management buck on November 8th.. 3 days earlier he was on the neighbors camera, 1.55 miles away as the crow flies.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                            first thing i thought of, because that was the only story i ever doubted you on. i thought it couldve been an identical buck, not a lie. anyway, i believe you now lol.

i had no idea really, i just assumed most ranges hold deer in a 4-5 mile radius.

Comment

Working...
                            X