No announcement yet.

Freer Mountain Lion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guess it doesn't really matter which deep south tx county it comes from at this point...we have had dogs on them in Starr but lost over the fence. I know a land owner in Hidalgo who has them on a no hit list & doesn't care how many whitetail they eat on his sizable spread. Had a farmer bud lose a new born / high dollar colt right on the river around the hidalgo/starr border a few years ago. The mother was leaking pretty good from the fight too.

Amazing critters & suspect we have more than we know down here imo. It's a testament to their stealth & just glad to have a couple of actual sightings since I can remember hunting s tx the past 5 decades. Really surprised more don't show up on cams & we had several cams in the area before the said dog track in starr. The shot (missed) was taken about 250yds from a feeder with a cam & maybe 500 yes where I caught a glimpse of him/her maybe a month before?? Other sighting was exactly the same maybe 25yrs ago in La Salle / encinal & caught it in the sendero strolling across & didn't catch glimpse until it's head just hit the brush. Both were at 200-250yds / large adults & man does that tail look fat & long. Almost longer than the body since it's the last thing I saw.

Folks share stories of sightings, pics of kitty prints & corner / h-posts being all clawed up at the top of the hf being used as a scratch post, but hardly any game cams pic them up on a regular or folks don't want to share??

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
      Guess it doesn't really matter which deep south tx county it comes from at this point...we have had dogs on them in Starr but lost over the fence. I know a land owner in Hidalgo who has them on a no hit list & doesn't care how many whitetail they eat on his sizable spread. Had a farmer bud lose a new born / high dollar colt right on the river around the hidalgo/starr border a few years ago. The mother was leaking pretty good from the fight too.

Amazing critters & suspect we have more than we know down here imo. It's a testament to their stealth & just glad to have a couple of actual sightings since I can remember hunting s tx the past 5 decades. Really surprised more don't show up on cams & we had several cams in the area before the said dog track in starr. The shot (missed) was taken about 250yds from a feeder with a cam & maybe 500 yes where I caught a glimpse of him/her maybe a month before?? Other sighting was exactly the same maybe 25yrs ago in La Salle / encinal & caught it in the sendero strolling across & didn't catch glimpse until it's head just hit the brush. Both were at 200-250yds / large adults & man does that tail look fat & long. Almost longer than the body since it's the last thing I saw.

Folks share stories of sightings, pics of kitty prints & corner / h-posts being all clawed up at the top of the hf being used as a scratch post, but hardly any game cams pic them up on a regular or folks don't want to share??
      Lots of folks don’t want to share lots of things on social media. They don’t want the hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post

Where exactly in Hidalgo and how recently have they been spotted? I hunt Hidalgo but never any tracks or sightings. Been hunting here a good while now. Hunted Starr when I was younger but too young to remember if we had any out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here kitty kitty

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
            Lots of folks don’t want to share lots of things on social media. They don’t want the hassle.
            Guy posted a trailcam pic of a bobcat earlier today on a Waller county facebook page.

Several folks wanted to know where the pic was taken. You know, because bobcats are so dangerous.

I wouldn't post a lion pic.

Comment

The cat mounted at muy grande village was killed off the ranch in Webb county where I use to hunt and my aunt killed one on the ranch next door. Only seen one in the wild chasing a nice buck but couldn't get a shot. That will make your hair on your back stand up

Comment

Just watched the video. Dude comes strolling out like he ran the ranch. Pretty cool to watch.

Comment

He did run the ranch.

Comment

I watched the video too. That is definitely a big cat. We had one killed on our pasture about 20 years ago. This cat was taken close to the checkpoint off 59.

Comment

That cat is stuffed full!

Comment

My goodness!

Comment

My wife saw one in Harper thought it was a deer at first she said. Missed getting a shot on it though.

Comment

There had been several sightings behind the Border Patrol Checkpoint on Hwy 59. I am not surprised this one was taken in the same area.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurdawg View Post
                              My wife saw one in Harper thought it was a deer at first she said. Missed getting a shot on it though.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                                Guy posted a trailcam pic of a bobcat earlier today on a Waller county facebook page.

Several folks wanted to know where the pic was taken. You know, because bobcats are so dangerous.

I wouldn't post a lion pic.
                                I had a poor quality game cam video of what I still think was a mountain lion a few years ago, but it wasn’t good enough to confirm. I showed it to my son, and two of my friends and asked them what it was. All of them said “ mountain lion”. It was obviously feline from the way it moved, rolling its shoulders the way felines do, and it was obviously much bigger than a bobcat because I had dozens of deer pics to compare at the same cam location, a mineral block. I know from experience predators often visit these blocks because (duh) deer, hogs, rabbits, coons, etc. visit them also. The batteries were about shot in that cam is the reason the video was so poor. I wish it hadn’t been, but .......

Comment

Working...
                                X