Need scope recommendations to help my dad see better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need scope recommendations to help my dad see better

My dad has a .270 that I bought him years ago and he loves the gun but at 80 the scope is just not working good enough for him to make out stuff clearly.

Longest shot might be 125 yds but most around 80 yds-so anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

What scope is on it now, that isn't working out?

Comment

Just a basic 3-9x40 Simmons—pretty cheap scope but it has worked for many years and he didn’t want me to change it out.

Comment

I would think an illuminated reticle could help.

Comment

This weekend he was just having a hard time picking up the deer in the scope

Comment

As I am sure you are aware, the newer scopes are much clearer imo than the older ones. It may be as simple as a newer model scope? It doesn’t have to be one to break the bank.

Comment

The leupold freedom line has some good budget friendly scopes

Comment

Budget?

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                  Budget?

$400-500 or more if it means he can keep hunting

Comment

We got my dad a Leopold heavy duplex 6 power when he was having trouble seeing but that was 30 years ago. I'm not sure if they even make them anymore but the heavy duplex was great for low light conditions and he could see good with the heavy duplex.

Comment

Probably something with good/long eye relief and 50mm objective to gather light. With your budget there are a ton of options. Does he use the variable power much or stay fixed? with usually only 80 yard shots I might even look at 2-7 type scope.

Comment

Look at Nikon. Great eye relief and affordable.

Comment

Nikon is going to quit selling scopes.....might get a deal on one, but not sure about after the sell service.

I would have said Leupy VXII, but they aren’t making those anymore and not really sure what was put in to replace the line.

Comment

I would take him to academy Cabela's Bass pro etc and let him play with several and see what he likes best. Sounds like a 30mm tube and a 44-56mm objective might help. Also have him crank the zoom down and maybe see if that helps? Would for sure get a heavy reticle if possible.

Also have you looked at the scope to see if anything happened to the focus? My dad was complaining about not being able to see out of one of his scopes and I guess from riding in the truck it at been screwed out. Just had to adjust it back to normal and he was fine again.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

i just picked up a new nikon 2x7 for my 45-70 yesterday at bass pro for 159$,,, very clear my 20+ year old burris 1.5x5 post cross hair will not clear up,, the nikon was very good for the price

Comment

Working...
                              X