Philmont ranch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Philmont ranch.

Looks like they had to use the ranch as collateral for sex crime lawsuits.
    The ranch was supposed to be a restricted asset. It’s a long read at the link.

The Boy Scouts of America has mortgaged one of the most spectacular properties it owns, the vast Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico, to help secure a line of credit as the financially strapped organization faces a growing wave of new sex-abuse lawsuits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, look how far they have fallen.
    Terrible deal

Comment

This really ticks me off. I was active in scouting and went with my son's troop to Philmont in 1994. What an adventure that I'll never forget. I have been back to visit this awesome property. It is truly a treasure!

For the organization to have fallen to the point of having to mortgage this beautiful piece of property to secure $400+ million of debt is sickening! The SOB's that abused kids and caused this mess should be publicly strung up and castrated! My blood is boiling that this wonderful organization has been hampered with liabilities defending itself because of these perverts that abused kids!!!

My concern is that the Boy Scouts will never recover from this debt burden and will continue to fall apart.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
        This really ticks me off. I was active in scouting and went with my son's troop to Philmont in 1994. What an adventure that I'll never forget. I have been back to visit this awesome property. It is truly a treasure!

For the organization to have fallen to the point of having to mortgage this beautiful piece of property to secure $400+ million of debt is sickening! The SOB's that abused kids and caused this mess should be publicly strung up and castrated! My blood is boiling that this wonderful organization has been hampered with liabilities defending itself because of these perverts that abused kids!!!

My concern is that the Boy Scouts will never recover from this debt burden and will continue to fall apart.

Ditto...……….. Makes me sick...….

Comment

I too spent time at the ranch with my son. I pray they can recover and continue to help
          boys become men.

Comment

was there as a scout in '92
            it is disturbing that the gift of that ranch is at risk.
            whatever ends up happening, I hope it can remain a place for youth to go encounter the outdoors

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post

Yes sir!

Comment

WOW! I wonder if there is a way to see any other properties that have also been included as part of this?

Comment

Went twice as a kid.

This really ****** me off, but honestly it’s not surprising given the lack of solid leadership in the upper echelon of BSA. Waite Phillips is rolling over in his grave, and his descendants should be fighting hard for a reversal. Hopefully the land can remain for its intended purposes into perpetuity.

Comment

That sucks.

Comment

I’m a pre 2013 Eagle Scout, being an Eagle Scout is one of the great accomplishments in my life and this news makes me sick.

But IMO, it’s what the organization gets. Recruitment numbers are in the tank after they caved to political pressure.

I cannot wait for them to change to eagle rank to say “scouts BSA.” I will be more proud to have been a part of the “Boy Scouts of America” at that time.

I’m sick of them.
                      Last edited by UltraMax; 11-23-2019, 11:50 AM.

Comment

I was in the Scouts a LONG time ago.

I wish they had stayed the course of their original founding instead of trying to play the political correctness game.

I’m afraid they are reaping what they sowed my straying (among other issues).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

At the same time our nation desperately needs an organization to help boys become men and turn them into productive citizens, the organization itself fails so badly in so many ways. Mortgaging the crown jewel indicates the BSA is in worse shape than they admit.

As an Eagle Scout, I was fortunate enough to go on two Philmont treks and the idea of that ground being at risk is alarming.

If the accusations are true that kids were being harmed by adult leaders and the organization was negligent in any way, then they need to clean house of everyone connected and severely punish the perps. On the other hand, I wonder if some of the claims are fraudulent.

How did this happen? Is the BSA likely to survive this?

Comment

I went in 1990, did a longer trek that took us into Colorado for a bit. It was pretty influential for me, got my Eagle in 92.

I agree, the BSA has dug their own grave, when they started caving into the political correctness. It has become a landslide of problems that I fear they will never recover from.

Comment

Working...
                            X