Is hunting a dying sport?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is hunting a dying sport?

I see this said from time to time, even here, And the new issue of Texas Fish & Game has an article: "Can Trophy Cooking Save Hunting?" Seems like the consensus is that hunting is a dying sport but has anyone tried to find a good, affordable deer lease lately? Its hard as hell! How can these two things be reconciled?

Hunting to me is a way of life....a passion... I wouldn't call it a sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      Exactly

Comment

I’ve never really thought about hunting as “dying” but I think we live busier lives these days that prevent us from hunting as much. I can also see the affordability as an issue as the pressure of personal finances become an issue. Thankfully, I hunt private land where I grew up so my cost is minimal. Otherwise, I probably would not be hunting especially facing the college years with kids. Interesting topic though

Comment

Something dies every time I go, my answer is yes

Comment

This^^^^^^^^^

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Sure-- animals die whenever I go.

Comment

Couldn’t have said it better!

Comment

You can probably go back and look at the first issues of some outdoor magazines from the 50's, 60's and 70's and beyond and find the same articles.

Comment

I think a big issue is there might be tons of people out there who have no idea where or how to get started. I am only into my second year of bow hunting and would never have gotten into it if i didnt happen to start working with a guy (member on here) who bow hunting was his passion and he went with me to CCR to get my first bow taught me how to scout, shoot, and all that. I think communitites like the Green Screen help for newcomers to get started but i think a lot of people just dont have someone to get them going that they dont ever try. or they decide to give it a go and are so overwhelmed by all the info out there and then to even get in a situation to kill anything with a bow is hard in itself that people qill just quit on it. or they realize how much work actually is required and that turns them away

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
                      You can probably go back and look at the first issues of some outdoor magazines from the 50's, 60's and 70's and beyond and find the same articles.

I have magazines from the 70s and early 80s that talk about how the deer lease costs are becoming so outrageous that it will ruin hunting. The same thing folks are saying today.

Comment

The cost is leaving many people behind.

Comment

Cost and access is such a huge barrier.

Comment

I think it's time & cost. Cost is certainly a factor since land prices are perpetually going up. Many also just can't afford the time commitment it takes. As guys in this thread are saying it's more a way of life. Not everyone can commit to that, but that's sort of what it takes to have fun hunting experiences.

Hunting is still a booming business though and I think more and more people are paying for canned hunts to avoid the time commitment.

My guess to fix the issue is that we need more hunter education & firearms education. People that didn't grow up with it can be overwhelmed pretty quickly. Be nice if schools had these things as part of standard curriculum.

Comment

IMO. Land prices have gone up do much that the $2-10/acre fee just isn't worth the hassle, whining, and complaining of the hunters. So many landowners just don't lease out their land. Less land leased, rising cost of land, rising litigation risk.... I wonder how lease rates as a % land value have changed.

Comment

Working...
                              X