Knife recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knife recommendations

I am looking for some recommendations on good knives that hunters should be looking into. Skinning knives, gut hook, processing knives, etc. Any information you feel that you want to share. I am a deer hunter and hog hunter that will be doing some processing as well. I have always felt that one can always learn another way, a better way, or just a different way.
    Thank for the help. enter some information on sharpening if possible.

Not sure but I think I posted an article I wrote on knife sharpening som time back for a journal. You might try searching my name and knife sharpening. If you don’t come across it please pm me and I’ll be happy to assist!

A properly heat treated blade with a properly ground edge should skin multiple animals without sharpening for a while. That’s my goal with any blades I’ve made.
    Last edited by Leon County Slayer; 10-18-2019, 11:28 AM.

Comment

I'd skip the gut hook. It gets in the way of the precision work like taking tenderloins out when using the gutless method.

Comment

I use a variety of different knives for gutting and skinning but those are all custom made knifes, ive found that the best way to go truthfully. But in my shop at work, for cutting deer I use Victronix Semi-flex and full-flex boning knives. the work great and are easy to keep the edge on. we outfit all our cutters with these.

Comment

I've enjoyed using the raptor razor knives. Raptorrazor.com

I've met the owner before at a hunters show. Good people and I've always had exceptional customer service.

Comment

Customs are the way to go. Then you get what you want; blade style, length, etc...

Comment

For skinning and processing, victoinox or dexter russel. That is what is used in processing plants all over. A bonus is that they are fairly inexpensive. For field use i like a kabar navy and a mora is a good alternative. No reason to spend a bunch of money, good chance you won't find better knives for the job

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                For skinning and processing, victoinox or dexter russel. That is what is used in processing plants all over. A bonus is that they are fairly inexpensive. For field use i like a kabar navy and a mora is a good alternative. No reason to spend a bunch of money, good chance you won't find better knives for the job
                Yep a bunch of dexter russel knifes, relatively inexpensive
                And used world wide in industry
                Custom made knives are ok for trying to impress your hunting buddies, but quality industrial knives are awesome

Comment

I like outdoor edge because I can just buy replacement blades. I hate sharpening knives and I’ve got a ton of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Havalon….greatness!! https://www.havalon.com/piranta-60a-edge-pack-includes

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                      I like outdoor edge because I can just buy replacement blades. I hate sharpening knives and I’ve got a ton of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      This^^^

Havalon as well

Comment

Originally posted by cgny27 View Post
                        This. Love em

Comment

I use a Case pocket knife to skin, gut, and quarter every animal I have shot in the last 30 years. I have some Old Hickory boning and butcher knives that I use for processing the quarters down further.

I don't own and will not own a knife with a gut hook, I have seen way to many people lay themselves open with them.

Comment

Nothing you can't get done as far as field dressing, and processing if you get you a Buck 110 and it will fit nicely in your pocket or pack. You may want a little bone saw of some kind, but I use a sawzaw when I get them to the house. Buck 110, worth every penny. And an AccuSharp when it finally needs an edge put back on it.

Comment

Originally posted by gvick View Post
                              I have some Old Hickory boning and butcher knives that I use for processing the quarters down further.
                              For the money, I don't think there is much better as long as you know how to sharpen a knife and don't mind spending the time to get a good edge on it. I love the skinner knife they have- I used a dremel to cut a bit off the end (slowly using a grinding wheel so that I didn't ruin the temper of the steel) to make it more of a Nessmuk knife pattern.

A Russel "Green River" knife is great for the price too and you could also never go wrong with a Mora, Buck, or Case knife.
                              Last edited by mobrien; 10-19-2019, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X