Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side by side recommendation- blank page

Friends,

We’re buying and building on 16 acres of raw land and I’m going to purchase a side by side (a tractor also, but that’s another conversation) for keeping up the place. Priority goes to reliability and hauling people / gear - no real desire to go fast.

My only experience with such is growing up hunting out of Argos, Honda “big red” three wheelers and later Honda 4 wheelers. As such, I’m a blank page for learning about what works for the long term with low-no maintenance/ repairs outside of your basic oil change, tune up, preventative maintenance. We’re easy on our machinery but it needs to perform when necessary.

I’ve heard good things about Honda, Kubota, and John Deere but would be interested to hear about your long term (5+ year) experience with side by sides.

Thanks!
    Last edited by jp_over; 03-16-2019, 02:27 PM.

For working, I’d get a Transmule sir.

Comment

Ive had my Honda Big Red side by side since 2011 and I've never had any issue with it. I use it at the deer lease and working around my 16 acres at the house. I have 4 kids and they are hard on it. Not the smoothest ride, and didn't come with any bells or whistles, but I still give it 2 thumbs up. ��������

Comment

Kubota 900 diesel. Workhorse for a utv

Comment

I've got a mule pro fxt BUT for what your describing I would buy a transmule.. they are very dependable and I couldn't imagine needed to go any faster on 16 acres..

Comment

I just bought a Can Am Defender HD8 XT. Can’t say about its longevity as the defender has only been out since 2016 anyway. But I love it so far.

You should also look into anything Kubota. My folks have 3 Kubota RTVs (550 models I believe). 500-1000 hours on all of them with no issues as far as I know. They’re good little machines. Kubota started making some newer models that are supposed to be more comparable to the Defender, Ranger, etc. It’s still a working machine but is set up better for recreational use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mr. Whiskers - thanks, I'll give those a look.

Marine - thanks for the confirmation on Honda's equipment. Good to know!

Bowtech38 - another thanks for the confirmation. I also appreciate the model # as I'm starting from scratch.

randal - thanks for the info. I edited my opening post to mention that speed is not a priority. I had a friend in Alaska who had some type of UTV that would go 60+mph - definitely not what we're looking for!

Ryan81 - good info, will definitely check those out. Also, good to hear confirmation about the Kubota machines.
              Last edited by jp_over; 03-16-2019, 02:28 PM.

Comment

I also think the transmule is a good fit for you.

Comment

I've got a John Deere 855D 2012 model. It's a workhorse here. Never had a problem with it.

Comment

AntlerCollector - thanks for the +1!

bownut - good to know, thanks!

Comment

Mahindra Roxor

Comment

kawasaki 4010 trans mule

Comment

I have a Polaris ranger crew diesel. If I were buying again I think I would go mule 4010 trans. Like you I didn’t care about speed I hardly get over 15 mph. The ranger is smooth but a big down fall is the plastic floor. I have a crack in the back floor and the front. Both happened at slow speed on the roads we regularly travel. I ran over a small stick and the tire popped it up just right and it cracked the floor.

One thing I do like about the ranger crew is that 4 people can ride and the bed is big enough for tools and other stuff

Comment

I vote for a mule for your application also. I've always had Honda atvs and now a Honda Pioneer. They have been very reliable, but the mule is a reliable workhorse.

Comment

If you're gonna buy both tractor and UTV, why not talk to a Kubota dealer about a 2 fer discount. Can't go wrong with either machine!

Comment

Working...
                              X