Educate me : Stereo upgrade 21’ Ram 2500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Educate me : Stereo upgrade 21’ Ram 2500

I have not messed with stereo systems in several decades. I’d like to upgrade the factory speakers and possibly ad an amp. So can this be done without changing factory radio? I have a 21’ Ram, higher end Tradesman package. I like my factory deck and want better found and bass. What should I be looking for?

If you are going to add an amp you need to see if the original stereo has pre-amp outs or pre-outs… Of quite sure if that is the correct terminology as it’s been a while, but radio/stereo receivers used to have outputs that were meant to go directly to an amp… the signal level of these outputs would be low and not amplified by any built in amp…

Comment

I would consult Crutchfield. They do this stuff all day and if you buy from them you get tech support along with detailed instructions for your application. Their website should show you what will work for your vehicle.

Comment

Agree with crutchfield. I ended up buying my company truck a couple years ago and it needed an upgrade.

I added a higher end KENWOOD Excelon deck with wireless apple car play.

Also swapped the door speakers for Focal 6x9’s and 6.5” speakers. They sound awesome and the bass is great, sounds like I have a subwoofer but I don’t.
        The new deck powers these just fine, no need for an amp with these speakers.

Also make sure to use lots of anti vibration material around the news speakers in the door.

Night and day difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

If a 21 is like the 03 I had there is a factory Amp that has to be disconnected before an aftermarket head unit will work.

You can use factory unit without preout but you tap the speaker wire and place Amp between unit and speaker. But, it won't work/sound as well

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

CRUTCHFIELD is your friend.

Comment

If it doesn’t have alpine or similar system, then you won’t have a factory amp. If you have amp pre outs then you can add one, if not you either need to add a wire in rca out to the system or swap the deck. if you swap the deck use the higher end harness so you can keep the ACC. A probox under the rear seat for subs, then just swap speaker for factory, just be aware that if you swap to better speakers they will only have high sound and no mid or bass, you’d have to install component speaker sets in the doors and dash to get and mid out of them.

Comment

Most people will be happy with just adding a subwoofer to the stock system.

Kenwood makes a powered 10” sub that goes under your back seat. $200 bucks at Walmart.

I’ve got that setup in two vehicles and a ski boat. Love it.

Comment

Working...
                X