Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

February in the marsh is freaking awesome

Comment

Man i see a lot of little "shore birds" that look like that...im scared i'll shoot the wrong thing. Whats the tell tale difference to look for?

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
        I can’t seem to get within ~20 yards before they flush. Then they’re at 30+ by the time I get my gun shouldered.
        Exactly my experience. Shot at alot of them, but never once connected. Thougnt to myself I didn't realize I was such a bad shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
          Man i see a lot of little "shore birds" that look like that...im scared i'll shoot the wrong thing. Whats the tell tale difference to look for?
          Snipe make a real distinct squawk when they flush, and unlike lots of other shorebirds you won’t see or hear them until you scare one up. They’re a darker color (brown) than most other shorebirds too. I have been finding them in low spots in our pasture that stay wet. Saturated soil to water pooled ~4 inches deep. They can hide in real short grass.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
            Beak size, wings and a snipe “squawks” rather than a squeak/cherp

Comment

Used to hunt them on our lease properties when the fields would get a little nasty. They flush and squawk, then I miss.

Comment

Got a bunch of 'em around my house in the pastures now... After last week's rain, they moved in... I'd be after 'em this weekend, but headed back to the brush country instead...
                It's fun hunting them in an open pasture... When you jump 'em, you can watch 'em until they go back down and then you can TRY to sneak up to where they landed... Works maybe 2 out of 10 times... fun birds to hunt... Woodcocks are probably even more challenging... same action only out in the timber... Talk about testing your shotgunning skills!!

Comment

Working...
                X