2021-22 east texas season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
    Loggers are at it again on our lease, setting up today to start clear cutting again on Monday. The area they are cutting was thinned in September, and took me some work to clear all the limbs they left around my popup. Guess I'll be moving that stand this weekend.

I had a pig pipe staked out there until the hogs broke it off the chain and rolled it no telling where during October. One of the loggers saw the chain wrapped around the stake and how the ground was torn in a circle, and thought someone had staked out a dog there. Told the lease manager he was going to call SPCA about it until it was explained to him.
    I'm getting tired of loggers.
    I feel your pain. I have lost about 100 acres of what I’m hunting because the timber company realized they could sell red clay and make the property more profitable than waiting on the timber to mature. My bow stand is down hill from a red clay hill and they’re digging about 150: yards from it now. Sat 2 times during bow season and got tired of listening to squeaky dozer tracks and dump trucks all morning. I still have about 300 acres unaffected but still have to pay for all of it. Rant over.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
      I feel your pain. I have lost about 100 acres of what I’m hunting because the timber company realized they could sell red clay and make the property more profitable than waiting on the timber to mature. My bow stand is down hill from a red clay hill and they’re digging about 150: yards from it now. Sat 2 times during bow season and got tired of listening to squeaky dozer tracks and dump trucks all morning. I still have about 300 acres unaffected but still have to pay for all of it. Rant over.
      Listening to dozers and dump trucks is worse than crows.

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
        Loggers are at it again on our lease, setting up today to start clear cutting again on Monday. The area they are cutting was thinned in September, and took me some work to clear all the limbs they left around my popup. Guess I'll be moving that stand this weekend.

I had a pig pipe staked out there until the hogs broke it off the chain and rolled it no telling where during October. One of the loggers saw the chain wrapped around the stake and how the ground was torn in a circle, and thought someone had staked out a dog there. Told the lease manager he was going to call SPCA about it until it was explained to him.
        I'm getting tired of loggers.
        Seems crazy to have thinned in Sept then come back and clear a few months later. Never seen that before.

On another note rain through most of the night with a front blowing in, should be a dang good morning to hunt! I am at work but good luck to those of you still at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
          Filled pens this afternoon. Main event again making daylight appearances. All 9:00-10:30am

@&$*+^ing swine are now daily in every pen. Eating about 150# daily…. And uprooted my free choice feeder in one. Feed pen only thing that kept it on property

I hate these vermin with every fiber of my being. 220 dead and I have more than when I started

We have been slinging 2 feeders and have a third free choice feeder near groveton and we can’t kill a hog to save our life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is the season that keeps on giving.

So after finding out my primary target buck had been killed by someone on an adjoining lease opening weekend of the general season, I found out today that someone else on that lease killed my other target buck the same weekend.

I'm happy for them but still kicking myself for not going in in October and killing one of them myself. Lesson learned. Hunting in the heat might suck, but that time of year the deer don't care. If they're patterned go in and kill them because the rut brings nothing but heartache.

Comment

Of course, one I really wanted to see in person showed up this morning while I'm freezing my butt off at a flag football tournament. He's lost a lot of weight the last month or so. The cell cams aren't as crisp and make it tough for me to really make a call on some of these guys. i have him at 5 and hopefully he sees 1 more year.

Also, we have been covered up with yotes this year, never seen them like this, up to 5 at a time on the corn pile eating.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

Yotes seem bad at my spots too chasing deer all the time. Eating corn and protein

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Dropped a legitimate 2yo spike this evening (teeth confirmed). Had 10” spikes with 3” bases.

I had seen him multiple times before and he just wasn’t the same as the rest of the spikes I usually see that are tiny. This one dressed 120lbs.

I had thought about letting him ride, but the lack of venison in the freezer caused his demise.

Didn’t get a chance to sit long, so not sure how the activity is right now. Cameras are still logging 1,000-1,500 pictures a week though.

Still hadn’t had ‘than one’ show up this year. Still lots of time to go and patterns I typically see well after Christmas are already taking place. Should start seeing my new crop of bucks soon as home ranges shift again.
                  Last edited by Greenheadless; 12-11-2021, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                    This is the season that keeps on giving.

So after finding out my primary target buck had been killed by someone on an adjoining lease opening weekend of the general season, I found out today that someone else on that lease killed my other target buck the same weekend.

I'm happy for them but still kicking myself for not going in in October and killing one of them myself. Lesson learned. Hunting in the heat might suck, but that time of year the deer don't care. If they're patterned go in and kill them because the rut brings nothing but heartache.

The last two seasons, i have tagged out before the start of Rifle even begins. I’d like to call myself good, but im just plain ole lucky.

Yea, its warm in October. I hunt mostly afternoons unless the cams tell a different story. Our rut kicks off middle of October so the last week is usually a good one. I do my best to get em before the orange army enters the woods.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
                      The last two seasons, i have tagged out before the start of Rifle even begins. I’d like to call myself good, but im just plain ole lucky.

Yea, its warm in October. I hunt mostly afternoons unless the cams tell a different story. Our rut kicks off middle of October so the last week is usually a good one. I do my best to get em before the orange army enters the woods.

NOW I remember why I didn’t want to come in here in October. It’s in the mid-50’s right now and was probably 90°+ in my blind when I climbed in. I need to figure out how to insulate these Blynd blinds (at least the west side wall) until these trees are a little taller.

I won’t the same mistake next time though. Our bucks seem to break their bachelor groups up off their summer patterns around the 11th - 13th of October, so thats plenty of time get the job done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D7AAA9B0-99CB-4A91-B948-DD0287F2FEA1.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	24670675

Comment

Well after learning my plan A and B bucks are both dead it was on to plan C. The trouble with him is that he shows up so infrequently and with no rhyme or reason, and I’ve never actually laid eyes on him. Until tonight that is…

And I still needed a little luck to make it happen. Two weeks ago when I was here my rifle had fallen inside my blind, and it didn’t seem to hit hard so I didn’t think anything of it, but evidently it knocked the zero off pretty good. I was aiming for the shoulder and hit him in the neck, but it did the job quickly. Anyway, of all the bad luck I’ve had this season I’ll take any bit of good luck I can get. I will be hitting the range this week though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F81959C0-BFED-4E66-BF29-4E0924744A94.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	24670687
                        Last edited by Etxbuckman; 12-12-2021, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Good job. That's a fine looking buck, with or without luck. Congratulations!!

Comment

Awesome buck. Congrats sir

Comment

Very nice.

Congrats on the buck.

J

Comment

Nice buck

Comment

Working...
                                X