Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-04-2021, 10:14 AM   #1201
Gumbo Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Onalaska Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTx View Post
The buck I have been after all season showed back up this week after disappearing for a month.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Thatís a stud. Good luck getting him sir.
Gumbo Man is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2021, 11:35 AM   #1202
Pineywoodkiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: McCulloch, Gregg, Upshur, Rusk, and Liberty county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Phantom View Post
What did yíall say the big bucks in Rusk County was doing.

They are laying low. Tons of young bucks moving around. Sticking to the thicket I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pineywoodkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2021, 01:38 PM   #1203
Tree Phantom
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lake Striker area

4 hrs = 3 deer
Tree Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2021, 02:03 PM   #1204
Antlers86
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack and Henderson Counties

I’ve been following this thread since day 1. Had a couple of really awesome East Tx bucks this season hanging around but they have disappeared. Both mature and I have watched 1 for 7+ yrs. It’s hard when they don’t return mid season like they normally do. Hopefully whoever got him is grinning from ear to ear. Passed on a couple nice 4 yr olds within bow range holding out for the big boys.

I took my son out with me opening of Rifle season and he got a double. Literally dropped both bucks within 5’ of each other. Both we had never seen before and he did perfect dropping them with excellent placed shots. My deer season is over unless my main target returns however I can’t complain after the Kudu surprise I was able to take last week as many of you already know. Pretty memorable season with hopes that it isn’t over just yet!

Deer activity has been a little different this season than years past but still seeing good numbers. Not sure if weather or pressure from neighboring hunters. I have seen less dead deer on the highway near me so that’s good. We went through a rough start at bow season with trespassing, cell cams jacked with as well as stolen, neighbor issues searching for deer on my place and finding dead deer at my stand gut shot early October.

I’m still itching to get in the saddle and take a deer with the bow. Need some colder temps to hang around so my food plots can get more action and maybe just maybe big boy return.
Attached Images

Antlers86 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2021, 03:27 PM   #1205
Native Texan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County

First weekend I haven't been to the lease since September. I would be hunting now but I have a party to attend tonight. Sounds like I couldn't have picked a better weekend to take a break because those at the lease aren't seeing much.
Native Texan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2021, 04:48 PM   #1206
Gumbo Man
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlers86 View Post
Iíve been following this thread since day 1. Had a couple of really awesome East Tx bucks this season hanging around but they have disappeared. Both mature and I have watched 1 for 7+ yrs. Itís hard when they donít return mid season like they normally do. Hopefully whoever got him is grinning from ear to ear. Passed on a couple nice 4 yr olds within bow range holding out for the big boys.

I took my son out with me opening of Rifle season and he got a double. Literally dropped both bucks within 5í of each other. Both we had never seen before and he did perfect dropping them with excellent placed shots. My deer season is over unless my main target returns however I canít complain after the Kudu surprise I was able to take last week as many of you already know. Pretty memorable season with hopes that it isnít over just yet!

Deer activity has been a little different this season than years past but still seeing good numbers. Not sure if weather or pressure from neighboring hunters. I have seen less dead deer on the highway near me so thatís good. We went through a rough start at bow season with trespassing, cell cams jacked with as well as stolen, neighbor issues searching for deer on my place and finding dead deer at my stand gut shot early October.

Iím still itching to get in the saddle and take a deer with the bow. Need some colder temps to hang around so my food plots can get more action and maybe just maybe big boy return.
Congrats to your son and thatís a nice Piney Woods Kudu.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:44 AM   #1207
SRK14
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cass, miller

Man this weather is terrible. I think I’m farther north than most of y’all as I am 30min south of Texarkana. It’s forecasted to cool down over the next two days but who knows. The warm front seems to have the skunks stirring at night
SRK14 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2021, 04:37 PM   #1208
Gumbo Man
Ten Point

Looking forward to hunting the rain tomorrow instead of the muggy and foggy weather we have had this past week. I’ve always liked hunting the rain in a good all weather blind. Seems like that’s when the big boys like to move and rework scrapes.
Old 12-05-2021, 04:56 PM   #1209
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Yall hang in there. We are only a couple weeks from the best hunting of the year.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2021, 05:04 PM   #1210
Gumbo Man
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
Yall hang in there. We are only a couple weeks from the best hunting of the year.
The fat lady ainít even close to singing yet!!
Old 12-05-2021, 05:53 PM   #1211
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Great weekend lots of deer moving. Back on the protein

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2021, 07:04 PM   #1212
Hix
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas- Gregg Co., Cass & Marion Co.

I go home the 15th and Iím off for two weeks. Should be prime time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2021, 12:04 PM   #1213
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
Great weekend lots of deer moving. Back on the protein

Man we didn't see squat this weekend. I even got outside the box (literally and figuratively) and climbed a tree near a freshly worked scrape along a creek bottom where no one ever goes, and I didn't even see a bird.

My Plan C buck did show up in daylight, yesterday afternoon in fact, so I know he's still around. I'm gonna wait till the next good front blows through Saturday and go back up then.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2021, 01:06 PM   #1214
CWendling
Ten Point

Hunt In: Henderson

We got burned this weekend too. Nothin but sweat. Until dark. Over night had 2 monsters hanging at the feeders that havent seen all year
CWendling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2021, 01:47 PM   #1215
NewBallCoach
Six Point

Ended up not going this weekend because of the heat, I was sweating getting stuff in the truck and decided it was a little warm. Hopefully get to go this weekend when it cools down a little
NewBallCoach is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2021, 03:34 PM   #1216
manwitaplan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post

Seriously????? What time frame in late season is excellent. (East Texas). Not being a SA.

manwitaplan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2021, 03:54 PM   #1217
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwitaplan View Post
Seriously????? What time frame in late season is excellent. (East Texas). Not being a SA.

If the weather cooperates the deer start running out of natural food sources so they hit feeders more regularly (like early season), and there's the matter of the secondary rut that happens around the middle part of December.

Unfortunately, in terms of natural food sources the weather has not lent itself to limiting their supply. No freezes = plenty of green stuff to munch on.
Old 12-06-2021, 03:56 PM   #1218
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

On a sad note it appears that the Wagon Wheel restaurant north of Trinity, that just opened right before bow season, is already closed down.

I swear that town cannot have anything good.
Old 12-06-2021, 04:02 PM   #1219
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Main event was in daylight 2 times last week. Lots of movement still in all my sets, just need time to go.

Last week of season and 2 weeks following are the easiest by far to kill deer on most years. They are back on their velvet patterns and run down and HUNGRY! That 2 week muzzle loader season is Heck on my deer herds…. Good thing I can’t bowhunt them with the extra stamp money I pay to bowhunt. Just one of the many head scratcher rules of TPWD
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2021, 04:24 PM   #1220
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
Main event was in daylight 2 times last week. Lots of movement still in all my sets, just need time to go.

Last week of season and 2 weeks following are the easiest by far to kill deer on most years. They are back on their velvet patterns and run down and HUNGRY! That 2 week muzzle loader season is Heck on my deer herdsÖ. Good thing I canít bowhunt them with the extra stamp money I pay to bowhunt. Just one of the many head scratcher rules of TPWD

Our bucks tend to vanish around Thanksgiving leaving only does and a few spikes. Iím usually out the woods fully come muzzleloader season. Might have to locate a muzzleloader and give it another go. .

bloodstick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2021, 06:28 PM   #1221
Gumbo Man
Ten Point

I say it all of the time. I could have killed every buck on my place last year in the daylight in the last 2 weeks of season on corn or protein. Run down and hungry leaves them as vulnerable as being with a hot doe. But with that said I’ve watched deer the last 2 mornings grazing like cattle with everything still being so green. We need a hard frost or freeze to make it happen.
Old 12-06-2021, 06:37 PM   #1222
steve morton
Ten Point

Default This is "WORD"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo Man View Post
The fat lady ainít even close to singing yet!!
Buck movement is picking up now.
Had a nice 3yo 8pt all over my feeder yesterday evening waiting for the does to show up.
This evening i had 6 does and wide 4-5yo 8pt out during the last 15min of shooting light.
steve morton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2021, 06:50 PM   #1223
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:

Last week of season and 2 weeks following are the easiest by far to kill deer on most years. They are back on their velvet patterns and run down and HUNGRY! That 2 week muzzle loader season is Heck on my deer herdsÖ. Good thing I canít bowhunt them with the extra stamp money I pay to bowhunt. Just one of the many head scratcher rules of TPWD
Absolutely correct
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2021, 08:18 PM   #1224
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post
On a sad note it appears that the Wagon Wheel restaurant north of Trinity, that just opened right before bow season, is already closed down.

I know I went there Saturday to eat there

Old 12-07-2021, 07:07 PM   #1225
JhuntsAlot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Houston County, Madison County, Kendall County, where friends are.

Quote:

Quote:
I know I went there Saturday to eat there

Dang, I never got a change to stop in there to try it.

Drove by it this afternoon on my way to the lease and saw they even took the signs down. Unless Romo's is opening again.

J
JhuntsAlot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2021, 07:14 PM   #1226
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by JhuntsAlot View Post
Dang, I never got a change to stop in there to try it.

Drove by it this afternoon on my way to the lease and saw they even took the signs down. Unless Romo's is opening again.

J
Yes sir and if you never ate at thia barn you really missed out on some great food.

Old 12-07-2021, 07:38 PM   #1227
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes sir and if you never ate at thia barn you really missed out on some great food.

Trinity just canít have anything nice. Thank God Tacos By The Trax is still there.

That being said, on Wagon Wheelís Facebook page they indicated that they are simply looking for another location with lower rent, and will reopen as soon as they find something.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:57 PM   #1228
bloodstick
Ten Point

Quote:
Trinity just canít have anything nice. Thank God Tacos By The Trax is still there.

That being said, on Wagon Wheelís Facebook page they indicated that they are simply looking for another location with lower rent, and will reopen as soon as they find something.

What happened to Tacos by the Tracks location in Riverside? It just vanished some months back.

Their street tacos are legit

Old 12-08-2021, 08:22 AM   #1229
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Quote:

Keep us updated

Old 12-08-2021, 08:41 AM   #1230
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodstick View Post
What happened to Tacos by the Tracks location in Riverside? It just vanished some months back.

Their street tacos are legit

They took the building that was there and moved it to the Trinity location. My BIL and I ate lunch there on Saturday and it was just as good as ever.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:43 AM   #1231
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Question for the guys versed in hunting around weather fronts: Friday looks nasty from start to finish. Obviously Saturday is going to be very nice but I can't hunt that day.

My question is, would Thursday afternoon before the rain sets in potentially be any good?
Old 12-08-2021, 08:51 AM   #1232
bloodstick
Ten Point

Quote:
Question for the guys versed in hunting around weather fronts: Friday looks nasty from start to finish. Obviously Saturday is going to be very nice but I can't hunt that day.

My question is, would Thursday afternoon before the rain sets in potentially be any good?

From my experience, nothing trumps hunting the first couple hours after the front initially passes. If its a drizzle rain, thats my favorite time to be in a box or ground blind.

Old 12-08-2021, 08:57 AM   #1233
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodstick View Post
From my experience, nothing trumps hunting the first couple hours after the front initially passes. If its a drizzle rain, thats my favorite time to be in a box or ground blind.

Absolutely true, but that fronts gonna pass through sometime overnight Friday and into early Saturday morning, so that's not gonna work. Initially this front was supposed to pass through on Saturday and Sunday was going to be the best day, so I made other plans accordingly.
Old 12-09-2021, 08:35 PM   #1234
JhuntsAlot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Houston County, Madison County, Kendall County, where friends are.

Well, thought I would take a chance this week and make a trip to my lease in Houston county. Have had a lot of "life" getting in the way this season.

With having the wife's birthday middle next week, then mine beginning of week after and our saviors at the end, next couple weeks are not looking good. I am running out of time.

Didnt get here until Tuesday morning and weather was decent, saw nothing but doe's (which I was hoping to thin out this season, but....lack of time) and had a sounder of hogs at feeder a couple hundred yards away and two different ones on either side of me at the same time in the evening. Both Tuesday & Wednesday. Guess I need to make thinning hogs a priority again after this season.

As of now, it looks like I will be putting all my chips in on the week between Christmas and New Years.

But also a little discouraged, as the two actual shooter bucks that have been around all year have not show on camera in about a week and a half. Day or night. There are several youngsters showing after dark that would be legal, but not what I am trying to accomplish at this place.

I sure hope the magical late season everyone speaks of will bless me with a miracle.

Sorry for the long read with no progress or nothing positive to give. I look forward to what you all are able to get on the ground.

J
JhuntsAlot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2021, 11:58 AM   #1235
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher Man View Post
How high are you putting those demand feeders off the ground? And are they high enough that you donít have problems with hogs?
not high enough...
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2021, 12:00 PM   #1236
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Need to make a trip up for this one!

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2021, 12:52 PM   #1237
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Filled pens this afternoon. Main event again making daylight appearances. All 9:00-10:30am

@&$*+^ing swine are now daily in every pen. Eating about 150# daily…. And uprooted my free choice feeder in one. Feed pen only thing that kept it on property

I hate these vermin with every fiber of my being. 220 dead and I have more than when I started
Old 12-10-2021, 12:58 PM   #1238
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
Need to make a trip up for this one!

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
Oh hail no!!
Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2021, 01:07 PM   #1239
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

I just found out the buck I've been waiting to come back to his core got shot several weeks ago on another lease.

I feel like I got kicked in the nads and punched in the gut at the same time. I am just sick. I had all the chances in the world in early October and never went in after him because it was too **** hot. Now I'm **** outta luck.
Old 12-10-2021, 01:08 PM   #1240
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Filled pens this afternoon. Main event again making daylight appearances. All 9:00-10:30am

@&$*+^ing swine are now daily in every pen. Eating about 150# dailyÖ. And uprooted my free choice feeder in one. Feed pen only thing that kept it on property

I hate these vermin with every fiber of my being. 220 dead and I have more than when I started
They're getting in your pens? How tall are they?
Old 12-10-2021, 03:16 PM   #1241
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Full panels cut in half… 24”-25”. Worked for a few years. But they have them figured out now. I’m outta luck

After season I’m replacing all with hog panels and will stop feeding in them and switch over to coral traps. After I take out some known ring leaders I’ll start feed pens back up

Can’t have nice things……
Old 12-10-2021, 04:38 PM   #1242
Hix
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas- Gregg Co., Cass & Marion Co.

Quote:
Full panels cut in halfÖ 24Ē-25Ē. Worked for a few years. But they have them figured out now. Iím outta luck

After season Iím replacing all with hog panels and will stop feeding in them and switch over to coral traps. After I take out some known ring leaders Iíll start feed pens back up

Canít have nice thingsÖÖ

Half to change your name to medium fence.

Have you tried 2 strands of barb wire above the panels? Works for me on some i made too short

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2021, 05:17 PM   #1243
Gumbo Man
Ten Point

Quote:

@&$*+^ing swine are now daily in every pen. Eating about 150# dailyÖ. And uprooted my free choice feeder in one. Feed pen only thing that kept it on property

Question. If they are in your feed pens daily and consuming 150 lbs of corn daily why are you not out there shooting them in the earhole?
Old 12-10-2021, 06:07 PM   #1244
Native Texan
Ten Point

Loggers are at it again on our lease, setting up today to start clear cutting again on Monday. The area they are cutting was thinned in September, and took me some work to clear all the limbs they left around my popup. Guess I'll be moving that stand this weekend.

I had a pig pipe staked out there until the hogs broke it off the chain and rolled it no telling where during October. One of the loggers saw the chain wrapped around the stake and how the ground was torn in a circle, and thought someone had staked out a dog there. Told the lease manager he was going to call SPCA about it until it was explained to him.
I'm getting tired of loggers.
Old 12-10-2021, 06:42 PM   #1245
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Ö cause I typically have stuff to do between 1:30am and 3:45am. Lol
Ö. But todayís horrible wind allowed me to hunt there trail way off the pen and intercept them!

That ought to slow it donít to 90 or so pounds a dayÖ
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2021, 06:45 PM   #1246
Gumbo Man
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Texan View Post
Loggers are at it again on our lease, setting up today to start clear cutting again on Monday. The area they are cutting was thinned in September, and took me some work to clear all the limbs they left around my popup. Guess I'll be moving that stand this weekend.

I had a pig pipe staked out there until the hogs broke it off the chain and rolled it no telling where during October. One of the loggers saw the chain wrapped around the stake and how the ground was torn in a circle, and thought someone had staked out a dog there. Told the lease manager he was going to call SPCA about it until it was explained to him.
I feel your pain. I have lost about 100 acres of what Iím hunting because the timber company realized they could sell red clay and make the property more profitable than waiting on the timber to mature. My bow stand is down hill from a red clay hill and theyíre digging about 150: yards from it now. Sat 2 times during bow season and got tired of listening to squeaky dozer tracks and dump trucks all morning. I still have about 300 acres unaffected but still have to pay for all of it. Rant over.
Old 12-10-2021, 07:06 PM   #1247
Native Texan
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo Man View Post
I feel your pain. I have lost about 100 acres of what Iím hunting because the timber company realized they could sell red clay and make the property more profitable than waiting on the timber to mature. My bow stand is down hill from a red clay hill and theyíre digging about 150: yards from it now. Sat 2 times during bow season and got tired of listening to squeaky dozer tracks and dump trucks all morning. I still have about 300 acres unaffected but still have to pay for all of it. Rant over.
Listening to dozers and dump trucks is worse than crows.
Old 12-11-2021, 06:40 AM   #1248
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Polk/San Jacinto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Texan View Post

Seems crazy to have thinned in Sept then come back and clear a few months later. Never seen that before.

On another note rain through most of the night with a front blowing in, should be a dang good morning to hunt! I am at work but good luck to those of you still at it.
AgHntr10 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2021, 07:56 AM   #1249
bloodstick
Ten Point

Quote:

We have been slinging 2 feeders and have a third free choice feeder near groveton and we canít kill a hog to save our life.

Old 12-11-2021, 05:44 PM   #1250
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

This is the season that keeps on giving.

So after finding out my primary target buck had been killed by someone on an adjoining lease opening weekend of the general season, I found out today that someone else on that lease killed my other target buck the same weekend.

I'm happy for them but still kicking myself for not going in in October and killing one of them myself. Lesson learned. Hunting in the heat might suck, but that time of year the deer don't care. If they're patterned go in and kill them because the rut brings nothing but heartache.