Closed Thread
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-29-2021, 09:34 PM   #351
RaginCagin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Louisiana

Lsu won a nc 2 years ago with the worst coach in ole miss history. They should be ok with the winningest coach in ND history. He should at least be competent.
RaginCagin is offline   Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2021, 09:35 PM   #352
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

Just come across this gem.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bloodstick is offline   Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2021, 09:37 PM   #353
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

[quote=Heath;15964082]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouboy View Post

$730 is system wide.
Yep. Sure is. Of course, you can break it down by each school if you prefer to make it seem even smaller if you like.

LSU must be getting their money’s worth if they can win with chump change while others lose with billions.

Last edited by Bayouboy; 11-29-2021 at 09:47 PM.
Bayouboy is offline   Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2021, 09:41 PM   #354
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
I raised 4 girl basketball players and if my girls aren't playing, I'd rather watch paint dry than watch girls basketball. Mens CBB is a different story and one of the most exciting, gritty, and competitive sports to watch. Never know when a SFA is gonna upset a Duke or when a stud like Steph Curry is gonna appear at a college like Davidson. I can't believe anyone doesn't like college basketball. Prayers sent.
And because you're a gambler!
Dale Moser is offline   Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2021, 09:41 PM   #355
Heath
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cool places with Cool people

[quote=Bayouboy;15964107]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath View Post

Yep. Sure is. Of course, you can break it down by each school if you prefer to make it seem even smaller if you like.

LSU must be getting their moneyís worth if they can with with chump change while others lose with billions.

Heath is offline   Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2021, 09:42 PM   #356
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:

LSU must be getting their moneyís worth if they can with with chump change while others lose with billions.

Ags use the system number as well. Itís all good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Chad C is online now   Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2021, 09:44 PM   #357
El General
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke County

Nobody is using endowment funds to buy football coaches.
El General is offline   Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2021, 09:45 PM   #358
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghouse View Post
I have to disagree here. Raised two daughters and they were both women's basketball coaches for a few years. Rather watch a good girls game then any men's basketball game! To each his own.
Said no one EVER.

Girls hoops sucks.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Burntorange Bowhunter is online now   Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2021, 09:45 PM   #359
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by El General View Post
Nobody is using endowment funds to buy football coaches.

Nope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Chad C is online now   Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2021, 09:46 PM   #360
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
Oh yeah, totally comparable subjects.lol Only you're lame *** could attempt to marginally equate the two.
It was at least as good as your lame comments on other sports. Actually, better.

As soon as I see college athletes being handed out fake jewelry and participation trophies I may halfarse agree with you. Highly doubtful though.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:49 PM   #361
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tyler County

Quote:
And because you're a gambler!

Bet you $100 youíre right!
curtintex is offline   Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2021, 09:49 PM   #362
MarkV
Pope & Young

I think I like the Kelly hire.

Not sure what could have been a better hire.

Fickell is basically a younger version of Kelly without the records and Campbell is similar. Kelly I think is better that toilet paper soft Riley. I like Arranda but 2 years at Baylor isn’t long enough to prove he can do it long term.

He is the polar opposite of Orgeron and will hopefully fix culture issues. Now let’s see if we can make a push and build back that recruiting class.
MarkV is offline   Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2021, 09:51 PM   #363
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
I understand there are fans, my wife is a (younger) girls basketball coach also. I was largely picking on DDF, and BoB.....and I just don't like basketball on the whole with a few exceptions.
BoB likes baseball, football, basketball and hockey.

Old 11-29-2021, 09:52 PM   #364
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
It was at least as good as your lame comments on other sports. Actually, better.

As soon as I see college athletes being handed out fake jewelry and participation trophies I may halfarse agree with you. Highly doubtful though.
I didn't bring it up, and I didn't attempt to equate 10 year old sports, to college athletics. But you don't appear to know any more about one than the other...for all your hot air.

And college athletes (including the swamp rats) get fake jewelry and participation trophies every single year. It's called, "The Bowl Season".

Last edited by Dale Moser; 11-29-2021 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:53 PM   #365
PYBUCK
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Upton County

I for 1 am tickled sh**less that Stoops is back coaching. Get his okla homer *** out of the analyst gig on Fox. Now if we can just figure out how to get rid of Reggie Bush. Maybe they won't let him on the set with his boner after hearing the Riley news. Maybe they can get coach O to fill in for Bob.
PYBUCK is offline   Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2021, 09:56 PM   #366
Chase This!
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I want

No Jimbeaux. We told y’all.
Chase This! is offline   Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2021, 09:57 PM   #367
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
BoB likes baseball, football, basketball and hockey.

I sabe Bob.

Just for giggles, how many Horns womens bball games will you watch this year?
Old 11-29-2021, 09:58 PM   #368
DaBears
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
Vegas has made March madness what it is. Other than gamblersÖand a few alumÖ who else watches college hoops. I canít name one person in my close circle that gives a **** about hoops. I wholly agree with Dale!
Sorry, but the TV numbers are squarely against you. You're entitled to your preference and opinion, but on a large scale, college baseball does not register when compared to men's hoops throughout the regular season much less in March. If you don't like it, that's fine. But it is reality.
DaBears is offline   Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2021, 09:59 PM   #369
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYBUCK View Post
I for 1 am tickled sh**less that Stoops is back coaching. Get his okla homer *** out of the analyst gig on Fox. Now if we can just figure out how to get rid of Reggie Bush. Maybe they won't let him on the set with his boner after hearing the Riley news. Maybe they can get coach O to fill in for Bob.
Who is going to translate?
Old 11-29-2021, 10:00 PM   #370
rvd
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:

LSU must be getting their moneyís worth if they can win with chump change while others lose with billions.
LSU isnít spending chump change on coaches, thatís real money. The endowment is small compared to many other universities, just a matter of priorities and we all know the priority in BR which is their prerogative but funny to some.

I think Kelly is a great hire, the man wants a natty.
rvd is offline   Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2021, 10:03 PM   #371
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears View Post
Sorry, but the TV numbers are squarely against you. You're entitled to your preference and opinion, but on a large scale, college baseball does not register when compared to men's hoops throughout the regular season much less in March. If you don't like it, that's fine. But it is reality.
You are the one who brought up college baseball. We all understand the ratings...
Old 11-29-2021, 10:04 PM   #372
Heath
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
I think I like the Kelly hire.

Not sure what could have been a better hire.

Fickell is basically a younger version of Kelly without the records and Campbell is similar. Kelly I think is better that toilet paper soft Riley. I like Arranda but 2 years at Baylor isnít long enough to prove he can do it long term.

He is the polar opposite of Orgeron and will hopefully fix culture issues. Now letís see if we can make a push and build back that recruiting class.

I like the hire too outside of the culture fit and thatís going to be interesting to watch play out. Kelly is known for running a ďclean programĒ (no bag game) so be interesting to see him right in the thickest bag game of them all. Heís won everywhere heís been and he will win at LSU.

I think it just shows you how very few, if any (outside Saban) slam dunk hires are out there. They are all gambles.

Iím still shocked that OU and Notre Dame lost their sitting HFCs. Talk about a historic, landscaping changing day in college football. Just absolute nuts and an awesome day for college athletics business junkie like myself.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:05 PM   #373
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, Neb, Illinois, MEXICO

Quote:
Fred, I'm tryin to see good things in this hire, even though I hate that place......but you already went "D2 championships", and so help me if you resort to womens basketball again....

To early for 15 lbs of crawfish

drop dead fred is online now   Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2021, 10:06 PM   #374
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

I don't like Brian Kelly, and I can't stand lsu....but I also don't get the disdain for the hire. These things are largely a crap shoot, it's all a matter of hitting on a few key recruits, and winning X number of games, and those *******es will jump straight on board.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:08 PM   #375
El General
Pope & Young

Quote:
I like the hire too outside of the culture fit and thatís going to be interesting to watch play out. Kelly is known for running a ďclean programĒ (no bag game) so be interesting to see him right in the thickest bag game of them all. Heís won everywhere heís been and he will win at LSU.

I think it just shows you how very few, if any (outside Saban) slam dunk hires are out there. They are all gambles.

Iím still shocked that OU and Notre Dame lost their sitting HFCs. Talk about a historic, landscaping changing day in college football. Just absolute nuts and an awesome day for college athletics business junkie like myself.
I think Norte Dame has more of a reputation for running a clean program than Kelly himself does.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:11 PM   #376
Heath
Pope & Young

[quote=rvd;15964194]
Quote:

LSU isnít spending chump change on coaches, thatís real money. The endowment is small compared to many other universities, just a matter of priorities and we all know the priority in BR which is their prerogative but funny to some.

I think Kelly is a great hire, the man wants a natty.

I was complementing LSU on being a football school to pony up a contract that equals roughly 20% of the schoolís endowment.

After today, Iím realizing the lack of commitment my university is making towards football and itís sad. Urban Meyer told Texas they arenít committed enough as to why he turned down the job and Iím starting to see that. Iím jealous of the moves other schools are making to win.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:11 PM   #377
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Kelly is known for running a “clean program” (no bag game) so be interesting to see him right in the thickest bag game of them all.
You can't possibly buy that? There is no such thing, and I'd bet ND is as dirty as most. They just have a stronger system for it. Who is better at keeping secrets than catholics?
Old 11-29-2021, 10:11 PM   #378
Bullseye07
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Freestone Cos
Default 2021 College Football - Championship Week

Notre Dame has the easiest path to the CFP of all teams in the country and couldnít get a title. Now this yankee whoís never coached in the south is gonna go down to the boot and get it done?? This might be one of the worst cultural fits Iíve seen. Heís gonna get out in the humidity in august and have a heat stroke on the practice field.

If you LSU fans are happy, good for you. I just donít see it.

Bullseye07 is offline   Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2021, 10:12 PM   #379
Heath
Pope & Young

Quote:
I think Norte Dame has more of a reputation for running a clean program than Kelly himself does.

Fair.

He does seem like a whatever it takes to win guy. Heís an ******* type coach so heís going to run some players the wrong way. Winning covers up a lot of that.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:13 PM   #380
El General
Pope & Young

I talked to three ND fans tonight and none of them are very sad about Brian Kelly leaving.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:15 PM   #381
El General
Pope & Young

Quote:
Fair.

He does seem like a whatever it takes to win guy. He’s an ******* type coach so he’s going to run some players the wrong way. Winning covers up a lot of that.
It was known around CFB that Kelly really wants a national championship and that he was beginning to doubt whether it was possible at ND. I don’t think LSU needs to worry about his commitment to recruiting the SEC way.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:15 PM   #382
rvd
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
My take as well.
rvd is offline   Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2021, 10:20 PM   #383
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
I sabe Bob.

Just for giggles, how many Horns womens bball games will you watch this year?
None regular season.

Old 11-29-2021, 10:23 PM   #384
bloodstick
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye07 View Post
Notre Dame has the easiest path to the CFP of all teams in the country and couldnít get a title. Now this yankee whoís never coached in the south is gonna go down to the boot and get it done?? This might be one of the worst cultural fits Iíve seen. Heís gonna get out in the humidity in august and have a heat stroke on the practice field.

Heís been in the CFP multiple times and has finished in top 10 multiple times all while doing it with a smaller pool of players who can achieve NDís higher academic obligations.
Who else would be better? There are only a few coaches who have done better and they are not leaving.

The more I read of Kellyís background and record, the more I like the hire. Still not sold on cultural fit

Old 11-29-2021, 10:25 PM   #385
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
I talked to three ND fans tonight and none of them are very sad about Brian Kelly leaving.
That is gonna be the most interesting new hire to me. Those sanctimonious *** hats trying to put on their big show to hire an "upstanding catholic college football coach".

Aside from being the ultimate oxymoron, isn't that discrimination?
Old 11-29-2021, 10:27 PM   #386
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

[quote=Heath;15964223]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvd View Post

I was complementing LSU on being a football school to pony up a contract that equals roughly 20% of the schoolís endowment.

After today, Iím realizing the lack of commitment my university is making towards football and itís sad. Urban Meyer told Texas they arenít committed enough as to why he turned down the job and Iím starting to see that. Iím jealous of the moves other schools are making to win.
I said this a few days ago. Some are paying 10-15 million and Texas is effing around with Sark for less than 6. Paying the basketball coach the same.

Old 11-29-2021, 10:28 PM   #387
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodstick View Post
all while doing it with a smaller pool of players who can achieve NDís higher academic obligations.

COME ON fellas......you can't all be this naive.....it's not possible!
Old 11-29-2021, 10:30 PM   #388
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
I said this a few days ago. Some are paying 10-15 million and Texas is effing around with Sark for less than 6. Paying the basketball coach the same.

If they payed him 10 would he win more games? Would you rather pay Dumbo 10 for 8 wins?

Let him win 10, then pay him 20. Hell, pay him 3 million per win, maybe that will make him not suck so bad...they got more money than anything else.

Last edited by Dale Moser; 11-29-2021 at 10:34 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:32 PM   #389
bloodstick
Ten Point

Quote:
COME ON fellas......you can't all be this naive.....it's not possible!

Sure it is. How many national champions have we all heard in recent years talk in post game interviews and we need a jive translator to understand?

Thatís sarcasm by the way

Old 11-29-2021, 10:34 PM   #390
DaBears
Four Point

Quote:
You are the one who brought up college baseball. We all understand the ratings...
You said CBB sucks. Your opinion is the virtually nonexistent one.

Btw, currently Tarleton State is within a bucket of Gonzaga in the 2nd half. If Tarleton wins or even keeps it close, the game will get more press coverage than any college baseball game including CWS games.

Again, you're entitled to your opinion but college baseball doesn't even exist when compared to college basketball.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:35 PM   #391
RaginCagin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Louisiana

Quote:

Miles and saban were both from the North and won ncís at LSU soooo...
RaginCagin is offline   Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2021, 10:35 PM   #392
Bullseye07
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodstick View Post
Sure it is. How many national champions have we all heard in recent years talk in post game interviews and we need a jive translator to understand?

Thatís sarcasm by the way

So then howís he gonna be able to communicate with those south louisiana boys?

Old 11-29-2021, 10:38 PM   #393
Bullseye07
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginCagin View Post
Miles and saban were both from the North and won ncís at LSU soooo...

So is Miles a good coach or not?

Old 11-29-2021, 10:39 PM   #394
bloodstick
Ten Point

Quote:
So then howís he gonna be able to communicate with those south louisiana boys?

Bring O back as translator and pay him in free crawfish for life

Old 11-29-2021, 10:39 PM   #395
DaBears
Four Point

Billie Gillespie is coaching at Tarleton State. I'd be surprised if there's a college baseball coach whose name is more recognizable in this country.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:41 PM   #396
bloodstick
Ten Point

Quote:
So is Miles a good coach or not?

Miles was a weirdo who ate grass and coasted off Sabanís success.

However, he does have a shiny NC trophy. Something about a blind squirrel....
He didnít do squat after leaving LSU.

Old 11-29-2021, 10:45 PM   #397
RLB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comal County

The hires mean nothing, unless they get great talent and coach it up. Dabo was on NOBODYíS radar and had a run with really good Clemson talent. So did Coach O at LSU, Miles at LSU, Fulmer at Tennessee, Bowden at FSU, Holtz at ND, Brown at Texas, Switzer and Stoops at OU, Spurrier at Florida, Urban at Florida and tOSU and Saban at LSU and Bama. These men coached these boys up and made men out of them, turned them into winning machines.

Jimbo gets these great classes on board and doesnít at least start winning SEC titles and getting to the playoffsÖ..the love will wear off quickly. Iím about tired of this ****ÖÖ.And I quit giving my $100 donations last year!!

Last edited by RLB; 11-29-2021 at 10:51 PM.
RLB is offline   Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2021, 10:54 PM   #398
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
You said CBB sucks. Your opinion is the virtually nonexistent one.

Btw, currently Tarleton State is within a bucket of Gonzaga in the 2nd half. If Tarleton wins or even keeps it close, the game will get more press coverage than any college baseball game including CWS games.

Again, you're entitled to your opinion but college baseball doesn't even exist when compared to college basketball.
Again....I didn't bring up either, in the CFB thread. I was jacking with DDF and BoB, who brought it up.

I don't watch anything because other people are watching it, and I don't care who else watches baseball.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:59 PM   #399
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Lot of hatin going here for a Hall of Fame coach, going to a recent Natl' Champ, while A&M has settled for another mediocre record with one of the highest paid coaches and ut is suffering through one of their worst seasons ever.

Geaux Tigers!!!
lovemylegacy is offline   Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2021, 11:01 PM   #400
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Billie Gillespie is coaching at Tarleton State. I'd be surprised if there's a college baseball coach whose name is more recognizable in this country.
Recognizable to who? I know who Billie Clyde is because he's from Graford....

Is Bob Knight still throwin chairs???

Last edited by Dale Moser; 11-29-2021 at 11:05 PM.
Closed Thread