Sulfur smell - gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sulfur smell - gone

Well we have struggled with a sulfur smell in our water well for the past 45 years. We had a water softener placed on it which did help some with the smell. After thorough research I Purchased a water areator and a filter and a water softener. Last year when hurricane Harvey hit everything was flooded. So we had never replaced the water softener. We then had no water softener and the smell was her Renda’s. When our water went through a faucet, the water goes through the air and releases hydrogen sulfide. That is the rotten egg smell that you smell. This past weekend my father in law and I spent most of Saturday and an hour Sunday hooking everything up. The pump hooked to the pressure tank to the ariator to the filter to the softener to the house. Immediately we noticed a difference. It was well worth the $1700 that we use to purchase all the extra equipment. Ran the water for 10 minutes as well as took showers with no motor as well as increased clarity. Well worth it

That’s good for y’all, I remember reading your other threads about the problem y’all were having with it.

My grandparents lived in Wharton County and their water was almost undrinkable because of the smell. You had to let the glass of water sit for a bit before you drank it. Once the odor was gone it was great.

Comment

I am very glad that you managed to overcome this problem, I can't even imagine how hard it was for you

Comment

Originally posted by warrington View Post
        Well we have struggled with a sulfur smell in our water well for the past 45 years. We had a water softener placed on it which did help some with the smell. After thorough research I Purchased a water areator and a filter and a water softener. Last year when hurricane Harvey hit everything was flooded. So we had never replaced the water softener. We then had no water softener and the smell was her Renda’s. When our water went through a faucet, the water goes through the air and releases hydrogen sulfide. That is the rotten egg smell that you smell. This past weekend my father in law and I spent most of Saturday and an hour Sunday hooking everything up. The pump hooked to the pressure tank to the ariator to the filter to the softener to the house. Immediately we noticed a difference. It was well worth the $1700 that we use to purchase all the extra equipment. Ran the water for 10 minutes as well as took showers with no motor as well as increased clarity. Well worth it
        Will you post what and where you bought the equipment? I am having the same issues.

Comment

Maybe see about getting a covid test to make sure you haven't just lost your sense of smell...j/k. Glad you found something to help.

Comment

The aerator has been used for a long time to flash off the sulfur odor. You were just slow to embrace the technology. I'm hoping that your water is soft enough to utilize a water softener economically. Our well water tests at ninety-nine grains hardness. Just getting enough soft water for household use resulted in recycling the softener twice a day and it was using so much salt that our septic tank would crystalize in a short period of time. So, we bypassed the water softener and just learned to deal with hard water.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
              The aerator has been used for a long time to flash off the sulfur odor. You were just slow to embrace the technology. I'm hoping that your water is soft enough to utilize a water softener economically. Our well water tests at ninety-nine grains hardness. Just getting enough soft water for household use resulted in recycling the softener twice a day and it was using so much salt that our septic tank would crystalize in a short period of time. So, we bypassed the water softener and just learned to deal with hard water.
              Good information. I was considering as well but I have extremely hard water as well.

On OP - good for you! We went with a vented 2500 gallon storage tank. It cost a bit more overall than the aerator but I got 2500 gallons of storage in the deal and the smell is completely gone as it off gasses long before it enters the house. It is also above home elevation so I have limited water pressure even if the power is out which I discovered was invaluable this past winter...

Comment

We had the same problem at our camp house and I fixed it by removing the anode rod from the water heater

Comment

Op can you detail your setup? Thank you.

Comment

We put one in a few years ago. Problem solved. Best thing ever.

Comment

This is what is happening at my buddy's place. Water smell is horrible and stinks up the whole cabin.

He changed to a cartridge filter and water softener system and kept doing it. Kept getting worse and I helped him check the filter and softener and there was brown sludge that had collected and smelled worse than in the cabin.

I did some researching and found a common cause is iron bacteria in the well.

It is supposed to be an easy fix with a chlorine treatment that cycles the water from the pressure tank back down the well for about 30 minutes. Then flushing it out on the ground until the smell of chlorine is gone.

Unfortunately we have not had a chance to try it. If it doesnt work I will have to suggest the aerator.

J

Comment

Let me see if I can find the emails for my purchase. It’s still working like a champ

Comment

Online Water Filtrations Products Catalog of Pure Water Products, LLC

I also purchased an ispring water filter and a water softener off of Amazon
                          Pm me you cell and I’ll send you a copy of my invoice for the set up

Comment

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wimKClpQHc"]Cheap Solution to Eliminate Rotten Egg Smell in Well Water - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                              We had the same problem at our camp house and I fixed it by removing the anode rod from the water heater
                              I would replace that if I were you. It's there for a reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X