No announcement yet.

South Texas Hunters Thread 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We’ll be down tomorrow, but won’t be bringing the scatter gun. My plan is to mow senderos, camp area fill feeders and get back home to the A/C. I got drenched just hooking up the trailer and loading the tractor today. Can’t wait for tomorrow’s heat.

Comment

Deer are looking good. They are hitting the protein and cottonseed hard right now. We have a few that have rubbed out already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bdub25 View Post
        It’s paved for the first few miles out of Aguillares, then it gets bad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        We hunt off Jennings as well. It's paved for about 5 miles and then the kidney buster starts. But some spots on the pavement are worse (little bridges). About 20 miles down it turns and there is another 6 or 7 miles of dirt road heading to San Ygnacio. But it is paved after that (about 15 miles to SY on the pavement). That is where all the windmills are going up. I think that is what Powderburner must be referring to.

Comment

It's been a parade of bucks today on camera.

I have a couple chores this weekend so plan is to dove hunt but I am officially ready to start deer hunting!

Comment

Originally posted by BowhunterB View Post
            We hunt off Jennings as well. It's paved for about 5 miles and then the kidney buster starts. But some spots on the pavement are worse (little bridges). About 20 miles down it turns and there is another 6 or 7 miles of dirt road heading to San Ygnacio. But it is paved after that (about 15 miles to SY on the pavement). That is where all the windmills are going up. I think that is what Powderburner must be referring to.

I am on the right, about a mile after Jennings curves left

Comment

I will be heading down tomorrow. Don’t plan on hunting Friday as I got a few chores take of around camp first but I will be in my tripod Saturday morning. Hoping to stay to we get back into the 90s. Haven’t seen anything interesting on camera lately other than a few trash bucks I’m hoping to get a shot at.

Comment

I am on the right, about a mile after Jennings curves left

You mean coming from San Ygnacio - then about a mile on the fight after it turns left?

We are on the right just before the turn, but back in about 5 miles

Comment

Originally posted by BowhunterB View Post
                  You mean coming from San Ygnacio - then about a mile on the fight after it turns left?

We are on the right just before the turn, but back in about 5 miles

Coming from Aguilares

Comment

Coming from Aguilares

I got you - the big curve to he left I guess. Not the turn. The hard right turn is about 20 miles down from Aguilares.

Comment

A recent thread got me kind of curious - what have your leases/ranches trophy deer averaged B&C over the years, low fence only? Still relatively new to the region and want to know realistic expectations. I think sometimes all we see are the big boys so can be a bit misleading. 140s, 50s, 60s?

Comment

so my little honey hole for 20 years is going to change this a little on me. The ranch to the west of me sold and was split into 2 ranches. The back half that adjoins me. Is now a beautiful Game Fence.
                        Lots of good deer were killed coming and going from that area over the 20years. So we will see. Deer will be killed but Man. I hate seeing high fences keep going up.

I understand why and If I had the money I would probably do the same.

I have been on a few leases over the years. This one is the longest.

Comment

Any of you guys hunt south of Laredo, between Laredo and Zapata? My FIL potentially found a last minute place down there, and I'm all for trying it but I do worry about illegals in that area. I've hunted Encinal, and Freer in the past where we'd see them occasionally but it was nothing concerning or anything like that. I know that situation down along the boarder has changed, but is that area a hot spot for them?

Comment

I used to see them regularly off Maganahein Rd when we drilled down there many moons ago. They’d come to the rig and ask for food and water. We also drilled a lot around San Ignacio and saw some but not as much. I think they preferred Laredo cause they could just Blend in for a few days then move out. San Ignacio was a little more sparse.

Comment

Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post
                              Any of you guys hunt south of Laredo, between Laredo and Zapata? My FIL potentially found a last minute place down there, and I'm all for trying it but I do worry about illegals in that area. I've hunted Encinal, and Freer in the past where we'd see them occasionally but it was nothing concerning or anything like that. I know that situation down along the boarder has changed, but is that area a hot spot for them?
                              We are east and south a bit out of Laredo (near Mirando City) and until Nov. 2020, had practically zero issues with illegals... Since Nov. 2020, we have had issues, but mostly right after all this mess got started with Joe n da Ho came into power and issued all the invitations to 'em. So far this year, I have had zero pics on trail cameras (since Dec. 2020) and no sign of them going into my stands and such... Between Oct. 2020 and January '21, they broke into our camp twice, stole food/water/booze and just generally made a mess, They broke into stands and stole some stuff, but mostly just busted locked stand doors and shoved chairs out so they could sleep in the stands overnight. Since then however, we have not had any real issues... We are in far southeast Webb County off 649 (the highway that runs between Mirando City and Zapata...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                                We are east and south a bit out of Laredo (near Mirando City) and until Nov. 2020, had practically zero issues with illegals... Since Nov. 2020, we have had issues, but mostly right after all this mess got started with Joe n da Ho came into power and issued all the invitations to 'em. So far this year, I have had zero pics on trail cameras (since Dec. 2020) and no sign of them going into my stands and such... Between Oct. 2020 and January '21, they broke into our camp twice, stole food/water/booze and just generally made a mess, They broke into stands and stole some stuff, but mostly just busted locked stand doors and shoved chairs out so they could sleep in the stands overnight. Since then however, we have not had any real issues... We are in far southeast Webb County off 649 (the highway that runs between Mirando City and Zapata...
                                This place is only about 5 miles from the river. Maybe its so close that they will just pass through? lol not sure if that is how it works or not down there. I'm probably going to go check it out with FIL if I can, but if I don't feel safe bringing my family down there I'm out.

Comment

Working...
                                X