Buying a Used Diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a Used Diesel

Wanted to poll the TBH braintrust on buying a used diesel truck. Hearing of all the incidents where DEF is put in the fuel tank, followed by the typical replace the filters and trade it in responses, what would be the best course of action to protect myself from buying a used truck and not getting stuck with a 12k bill after the fact.

I actually purchased a 2016 two years ago, and pushed for a 6 month dealership warranty which I finally got. 50 or so miles from driving off the lot the truck went into limp mode, and ultimately was determined DEF was added to the fuel tank. They took the truck back no questions asked.

I've called on 3 different trucks now, and have had no luck in securing another warranty like the aforementioned. The Ford dealerships all said they do this elaborate inspection that would rule out the possibility of this fuel issue, but that still doesnt give me peace of mind.

Would you guys continue to push for some form of warranty? Or purchase the warranty if they wont throw it in? Maybe some form of written documentation stating the fuel system is sound so I have recourse should it not? Thoughts?

I would push for the warranty..........unless I had an extra $ 12,000 to spare

Comment

Originally posted by merlin View Post
      I would push for the warranty..........unless I had an extra $ 12,000 to spare
      Yep! This!

Comment

To answer your question, Yes, yes, and yes.

My friend just bought a used 2017 F250 back home. The dealer put in a 3 year warranty on top of the factory warranty. He had an issue with the accent lighting on his truck. Took it to a Ford dealership (It was still under factory warranty), and the dealership gave him all kinds of grief, said it's not Ford's fault that the switch went bad (Very common problem for F250 bed light switch to go bad).

He went back to where he bought it, they put in the new switch 5 minutes after he showed up, and thanked him for coming back to get warranty work done, and please come back for any other problems.

Comment

He needs to talk to the regional Ford rep and tell them about the dealer that didn’t want to do the warranty work. Ford Motor Co. Is not a fan of BS like that.

Comment

I've bought several used diesels and never had an issue but I know it's possible.

With the prices of used ones right now, I'm just buying a new one. At the end of the day 10k is much to have full warranty and know exactly how it's been treated.

They want 45-55k for a used truck with 50k miles.

It's insane.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar_HOYT View Post
              He needs to talk to the regional Ford rep and tell them about the dealer that didn’t want to do the warranty work. Ford Motor Co. Is not a fan of BS like that.
              Many times those warranties aren’t Ford. They’re third party, and in which the new dealer has no obligation to accept it. Also Ford has no say in that either.

Comment

Originally posted by rferg84 View Post
                I've bought several used diesels and never had an issue but I know it's possible.

With the prices of used ones right now, I'm just buying a new one. At the end of the day 10k is much to have full warranty and know exactly how it's been treated.

It's insane.
                I’ve got a 17’ 350 6.7 Lariat with 60k miles. It’s worth roughly $45k right now. A new one identical to it would run me roughly $65-68k. 20-23k is quite a bit of savings. Enough to consider either side of the road.

Comment

I've been driving diesel trucks for 25-30 years. I would not own one without an extended warranty. The end.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

It's insane.
                    LOL, where are you seeing this?! My friend just bought a 2017 F250 diesel Lariat with 19k miles for 51k.
                    Last edited by WItoTX; 06-26-2020, 10:15 AM. Reason: typo.

Comment

Ive had DEF in my 2012 twice. Once i know it was me. The other time i know it was not me. My insurance covered it both times under comprehensive. Cost me 500$ each time. I’m pretty sure all insurance companies will cover the DEF in fuel tank issue. Just to ease your mind a little

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                        I’ve got a 17’ 350 6.7 Lariat with 60k miles. It’s worth roughly $45k right now. A new one identical to it would run me roughly $65-68k. 20-23k is quite a bit of savings. Enough to consider either side of the road.
                        True.

I'm about to go from a 2012 Lariat F-250 to a STX F-350, it isn't as fancy but I'll pay for Katzkin leather and call it good.

I couldn't justify personally paying the $70k when this one was $54k, maybe not a fair comparison.

Comment

True.

I'm about to go from a 2012 Lariat F-250 to a STX F-350, it isn't as fancy but I'll pay for Katzkin leather and call it good.

I couldn't justify personally paying the $70k when this one was $54k, maybe not a fair comparison.
                          I'll warn ya from my experience, take it for what it's worth.

I had a 2011 Lariat with factory leather, no A/C seats. just regular old seats.
                          I never once thought they were hot or warm for that matter.

I recently purchased a 2019 XLT premium F-250 and had leather installed (or wrapped- not sure how they did it) and these seats are definitely "warmer" than my last trucks seats and stay warm for a long while.
                          To add to that I'm not so sure my driver side heated feature works anymore, I can't feel it.

If I had to do it again I think I would just skip the leather wrap (@ $1k) and cover the seats when they ever got too stained beyond something I could live with. these suckers are definitely WARM until the cab cools way down.

And that's with a windshield cover and window visors / windows cracked when parked.

Comment

I just bought a new one for 6-7k more than used. Bought same exact truck new as used one that had 40k. Its criminal how screwed up used truck prices are. Sad part is I bought new from same dealership that had used. Salesman with used truck swore a new one was 70k and I walked out found salesman on the lot and boom. This was exactly 1 month ago at bill fick. Used for 57 New one for 62. For lariat ultimate

Comment

Originally posted by str8ght View Post
                              I just bought a new one for 6-7k more than used. Bought same exact truck new as used one that had 40k. Its criminal how screwed up used truck prices are. Sad part is I bought new from same dealership that had used. Salesman with used truck swore a new one was 70k and I walked out found salesman on the lot and boom. This was exactly 1 month ago at bill fick. Used for 57 New one for 62. For lariat ultimate
                              Wow no kidding? Crazy.

Comment

Working...
                              X