Remington 700 Mountain Rifle Calibers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remington 700 Mountain Rifle Calibers

So my uncle picked up a Remington 700 BDL DBM Mountain rifle in 270 (older blued barrel with wood stock). First time I've handled that model and I was in love with the balance. I've been doing some checking and have found them in 25-06 and 280. I would like either one, but was curious if anyone knew if they made them in short action chamberings. I think that gun in a 7mm-08 would be one heck of a combo.

I've got a 25 yr old Rem Mt rifle in 7mm-08

Comment

Originally posted by az2tx View Post
      I've got a 25 yr old Rem Mt rifle in 7mm-08
      Thats good to know. I'm keeping my eyes out for one, do you know what other SA chamberings they offered, like a 260 or a 308?

Comment

I've got one in 7mm 08 i got back in high school in the early 2000s. It had the laminate stock but i replaced it with a B/C and it is even lighter. It shoots really good 3 shot groups for such a pencil barrel but starts to hear up and throw rounds after that. Shoots 3/4" groups before it gets warm.

I love the rifle but i don't shoot it much since i got into the custom crowd. But i will never get rid of it since it was my first deer rifle.

They do handle very very well.

Comment

I had a neighbor that purchased a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle back in the early to mid 90's. It was in 257 Roberts, but it didn't have the detachable magazine. He never could get it to shoot like he wanted. I wish I'd bought it off of him.

Comment

I think an "older" 700 mountain rifle in a 280 would be a great all around rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
              I think an "older" 700 mountain rifle in a 280 would be a great all around rifle.
              That was my first .280 Rem. It now belongs to my best friend’s son. Still in the family so to speak. My son still has his. The only thing I ever found wrong with it was the barrel heating up very quickly as mentioned.

Comment

Ive got the stainless synthetic in 280. I really like how it handles. I do know they used to make it in 260. I also have the model 7 in 260 that looks just like the mountain rifle but smaller

Comment

I've got one I bought in 2008 from the Remington Custom shop. It is called a Custom KS Mountain Rifle in a 280. I would be willing to sell it if you were interested. It has a Swarovski scope on it. PM me if interested.

Comment

I have a .260 stainless with laminated stock mountain rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
                      Thats good to know. I'm keeping my eyes out for one, do you know what other SA chamberings they offered, like a 260 or a 308?

They do make them in 260. I had a walnut/blue one like you described and I currently own a laminated stainless in 260.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

have 260 lss , 25/06 , 30/06 love`um

Comment

I have a Rem 700 Mtn Rifle in 7mm-08 that I bought new about 20 years ago. It was a special run of synthetic stocks. It's still my main rifle. I've hauled it up and down the mountains all over the West, including Alaska. It's cleanly taken quite a few elk and deer. In the last couple of years I've killed my first caribou and antelope with it.

I honestly can't think of a more versatile, easy to carry and effective rifle and cartridge combination for western hunting. I've always used Hornady Light Magnum and Superformance in 139 grain. It shoots very flat and hits hard. I used this combination for my longest shot on a game animal, taking an elk right at 400 yards.

While I really like the Rem Model 7, the 22 inch barrel on the Mtn Rifle is my preference.

Comment

A friend had one with the detachable magazine in 7-08. It is still my favorite of the Mountain rifle series. I always wanted one.

Comment

I had a 7m-08 in the Remington Mountain rifle. Best and most accurate rifle Ive ever owned.
                              I still throw up and Kick myself for selling it. Clover leaf holes at 100 yds with Hornady Customs 139 gr boat tail bullets.

Comment

Working...
                              X