Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions on caliber and type for mean cattle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not gonna provide any advice other than what you asked...

I think a .44 mag would be a great choice if you think a holstered side arm is the best option. A rifle is a rifle and a pistol a pistol as the saying goes. If you can draw it faster and get on target, then go with it. If you think you can carry a .45/70 and draw it just as fast, I'd go that route.

Comment

I thought for sure there was going to be a punchline somewhere in there.

I agree, great thread...

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Comment

I have seen one get up and walk off 30 minutes later after being shot point blank between the eyes with a 45. As suggested, get rid of the wild ones as soon as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Worksalot View Post
          You haven’t worked one of the facilities where there is no way to put a boot in the fence to climb over. The spacing is too narrow to put the tow of boot in. That’s the same spot where the one guy was seriously hurt while sorting. He was too short to jump over like I sometimes do. You’ll get a serious wake up when working cattle out here sometimes.

I would be addressing the known workplace hazard before going in to kill someone’s cattle.

As for caliber either any of the various 45 cal or bigger would work if you put it in the head

Comment

Are you the owner of said cows?

If not I doubt the owner would take too kindly to hired help shooting his cattle crazy or not.

Comment

I've typed and deleted about 10 responses. Deleting was the key. I'm so proud of my new maturity level.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                I've typed and deleted about 10 responses. Deleting was the key. I'm so proud of my new maturity level.
                Delete this one and start over.
                I liked the other Curt.

Comment

It's a legit concern. I tip the scales at over three bills and I had a bull sneak up behind me in a pen and toss me like a rag doll. Fortunately I didn't get hurt but it could have been a lot worse.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                    I would be addressing the known workplace hazard before going in to kill someone’s cattle.

As for caliber either any of the various 45 cal or bigger would work if you put it in the head
                    Already done that several days ago. Of course we discussed this with the Owner. I wouldn’t want somebody shooting my cows or bulls etc without my consent either. That’s why we discussed this in person with the owner. They live out of state and are not present on scene much.
                    Last edited by Worksalot; 08-23-2019, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KNEE DEEP View Post
                      If they have a history of hurting people already why aren’t they in a package labeled hamburger. Mean cattle go to the hands for steaks and burgers.
                      My thoughts exactly.

Comment

To many mild tempered cattle out there to put up with crazy ones. I agree with selling off all the crazy cattle and picking up new unless it is the breed of cattle you are working then a judge loaded with 410 slugs would be my choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Dushon View Post
                          Jesus. Gotta keep my head on a swivel watching for cows in the pens. Now I gotta worry about jethro blasting me with a hand cannon because a cow looked at him cross eyed. Work em horse back and if they won’t honor a horse, send em to town. That’s it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nailed it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                            Delete this one and start over.

I liked the other Curt.

I agree, immature Curt was cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Not only would I be worried about my own safety, but I'd be worried about potential liability issues due to workplace hazard. If you have a known issue, you need to take care of it.

Comment

50 bmg

Comment

Working...
                                X