Rabbit Hutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rabbit Hutch

My mother purchased(with our blessing) two rabbits for our girls as their Easter presents. I did a bit of homework online about rabbits and rabbit hutches and began to formulate a plan. Reportedly, a rabbit is a companion animal. If you keep two rabbits together they become companions and are not as open to human contact. If you keep them separate, they are more accepting of human interaction. I broadly explained this to my girls and they requested that I keep them separate.

Based on a few other TBH threads and the need to build a rabbit hutch, I thought this was a perfect opportunity to buy myself an Easter present. So I went out and bought a Kreg and the fun began.

I only had to buy one piece of plywood for this project. All the other wood was taken out of the stockpile of unused and scrap lumber around the house. I had some hardware cloth but did have to buy a 24"x 20' roll along with some hinges and paint.

First up was the basic frame.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	25177070

Each side will be two story allowing for the rabbits to have room to roam. The holes seen below are where the ramps will attached.

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	25177071

Then each rabbit will have an enclosed area.

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	25177072

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	25177073

Name:	5.jpg
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	25177074

Then the slow, sometimes painful, process of adding wire.

Name:	6.jpg
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	25177075

After the exterior wire was attached, I created the center dividers which will keep the two rabbits separate. I made these so they could easily be removed in the future.

Name:	7.jpg
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	25177076

Added both doors.

Name:	8.jpg
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	25177077

Painting is not exactly high on my list of things I like to do so as I worked on some of the finishing touches I got the wife and girls to start painting.

Name:	9.jpg
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	25177078

Luckily, we had 3 pieces of scrap tin laying around. Two of which were the same length and didn't need to be cut. Therefore, I only had to cut one piece.

I built the roof so it hinges to the front. This will allow for me to clean out each rabbit's box as the need arises. I still need to add a small latch to keep the roof from possibly being opened by strong winds. Besides that she's all done and I have two very happy little girls with little bunnies!

Name:	10.jpg
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	24579442

Name:	11.jpg
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	24579443

Name:	12.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	24579444

Comment

well done! KJ

Comment

nice work!

Comment

Looks professional!

Comment

Great Job!

Comment

Looks great !!

Comment

Very nice!! My daughter would absolutely LOVE one of these at our house to put some rabbits in!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

You done good 👍

Comment

I like it!

Comment

Looks great, love getting the kids to help paint.

Comment

Nice job!

Comment

I have kept rabbits for a long time and your set up looks great! Hope your girls enjoy the experience! I would watch out in our Texas heat with the little hoppers getting too hot. Just make sure you have a plan for summertime! I have lost a few in heat waves over the years. This is one of the reasons they burrow. Always about 70 degrees underground!

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by jonny_thunder View Post
                            I have kept rabbits for a long time and your set up looks great! Hope your girls enjoy the experience! I would watch out in our Texas heat with the little hoppers getting too hot. Just make sure you have a plan for summertime! I have lost a few in heat waves over the years. This is one of the reasons they burrow. Always about 70 degrees underground!

Good luck!
                            Funny you say this, because I was thinking it too! My mom used to fill the plastic 2 liter coke bottles with water, and freeze them. Put one of them in the hutch with each rabbit, and they will lay up next to them to cool off.

Good work dad

Comment

Working...
                            X