The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
    I'm taking tablets for this weekend, but when hunting for longer periods of time it's nice to have a dromedary 10L bag full at camp, pump it full once every couple days.
    a3d,

How do you like that dromedary? Iv'e been considering that or the platypus 6l bag for an upcoming Utah Mulie hunt. I need some sort of bulk water storage as it looks like there won't be much in the way of water where I'm heading. looks like the platy may be a little less durable & lower capacity, but lighter weight and more compact.

Comment

Chris,

That's a nice heavy bull in your avatar! If you don't mind, is that DIY?

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
        Thanks...I know you are big guy like me and am interested to know how many guys could sleep comfortably in there without the nest assuming at least one is a guy our size and the additional guys are average. I ask these questions because I am not in possession of the tent my buddy in WV is the owner.

Also, I know Golite makes a floor only(I think you loose space though) and there are companies that will sew in custom floors(loose less space). Is that something you think would be useful help keep the crawlies out?

There is also a good chance I am way over thinking this.
        I would limit the sl5 to 2 big guys and gear to be comfortable. Can you fit 3 guys, yes. Would I sleep in there with 2 other guys.....NO. I like my space.

The floor doesn't look like it would take up too much space and would help with crawlies, so that would be an option.

Originally posted by Chris Martin View Post
        a3d,

How do you like that dromedary? Iv'e been considering that or the platypus 6l bag for an upcoming Utah Mulie hunt. I need some sort of bulk water storage as it looks like there won't be much in the way of water where I'm heading. looks like the platy may be a little less durable & lower capacity, but lighter weight and more compact.
        The drom belongs to my hunting buddy, after using it last year I can tell you it is very nice. A good way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
          Thanks...I know you are big guy like me and am interested to know how many guys could sleep comfortably in there without the nest assuming at least one is a guy our size and the additional guys are average. I ask these questions because I am not in possession of the tent my buddy in WV is the owner.

Also, I know Golite makes a floor only(I think you loose space though) and there are companies that will sew in custom floors(loose less space). Is that something you think would be useful help keep the crawlies out?

There is also a good chance I am way over thinking this.

I will also add that the pic you see of the sleeping bag doesn't give the tipi justice, I could easily move my sleeping bag up another 8-10" and I already had plenty of space for my feet/ I could put my pack inside down there and have plenty of room. As I said, I think it is perfect for two guys with gear.

Comment

Does anybody have any info on New Mexico 16a.

Comment

12 weeks to go....
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Vampire View Post
                Chris,

That's a nice heavy bull in your avatar! If you don't mind, is that DIY?
                Yessir, it was DIY. Had a landowner per it that allowed us to access the Arapaho Nat'l forest in a unit that normally requires a point to draw. Was lucky enough to guide in that unit for a few seasons and got to learn it. The voucher saved some serious boot mileage to get to the public land. Here's a link on the story.

Good luck this season

Comment

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
                  Does anybody have any info on New Mexico 16a.
                  I took this bull in 2000 in 16a. What info are you looking for.
                  Last edited by old killer; 01-21-2013, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Not sure if anyone has seen that Wyoming has left over tags!!!!!!! If you want to hunt Wyoming, this might be your year!

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                      Not sure if anyone has seen that Wyoming has left over tags!!!!!!! If you want to hunt Wyoming, this might be your year!
                      Be careful as most leftovers for Elk are Cow/Calf and the Bull tags left will likely be in units where the Elk habitat is on private or in wilderness where you can't hunt without a guide.

Antelope leftovers can be pretty good. We pulled leftovers last year and hunted them for 2 days prior to our Elk hunt. My buddies both killed 60" goats.

Comment

I passed a lot of bulls last year in that unit, but I am looking for a 350" or better. The unit is big, just looking for an honey hole in the unit.

Comment

We hunted out of Reserve off of Beaverhead road. We had 2 other 6x7's around 300.
                          Mine was 340 gross and 315 P&Y. There was a canyon on the way up the mountain that was hard to get to. It was 4.5 miles off the road up the canyon to a tank not on the maps. You could also drive past Bear tank to the mountain and walk over. That way is shorter, but will be work bringing one out of that canyon. If you want I could get my maps out and look for other areas where we found the most elk and least people.

Comment

Originally posted by old killer View Post
                            We hunted out of Reserve off of Beaverhead road. We had 2 other 6x7's around 300.
                            Mine was 340 gross and 315 P&Y. There was a canyon on the way up the mountain that was hard to get to. It was 4.5 miles off the road up the canyon to a tank not on the maps. You could also drive past Bear tank to the mountain and walk over. That way is shorter, but will be work bringing one out of that canyon. If you want I could get my maps out and look for other areas where we found the most elk and least people.
                            Thanks for the info. I am going to go up there scouting the end of July, and I am going to try to find some honey holes. That unit is incredible and loaded with elk, and I really want a big bull this year. I know I am going to have to let a lot of 320s walk to kill that 350.

Comment

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
                              Thanks for the info. I am going to go up there scouting the end of July, and I am going to try to find some honey holes. That unit is incredible and loaded with elk, and I really want a big bull this year. I know I am going to have to let a lot of 320s walk to kill that 350.
                              When I was last there I saw one bull that may have been able to scratch his rump with his rack. I can't remember the canyon but I will see if I can find my topos.

Comment

If you go to my topo.com and follow beaverhead road up the mountain from Reserve, we camped on road 626. That is also Sign Camp canyon rd. The right at the y goes lower to parks and tanks. To the left of the big tank is Devils Creek. A lot of elk all the way back to 626a and upper devils tank where we took a 6x7. The elk work their way up Turkey mountain in the morning. You have to get high early to beat them up the mountain. All the way to the end of 626a is six shooter tank. You can drive to there. The best hunting will be past the tank and down into bull basin. I killed my bull at crossing tank.
                                At sheep basin there is sheep basin tank. Take the road past it and go towards the ridge. Park at the end of the road and over the ridge is an unnamed tank. We took a 310 in that area. Over that ridge is Gatlin canyon, there were a lot of elk in there, mainly because the outfitters won't get that far off a road. If you kill in there you can access it from farther down beaverhead road in a U turn. We went in on atv's to get an elk out.
                                Any of the large tanks and tanks close to a road will have 2 to six stands on them.

Comment

Working...
                                X