REM 788 extraction problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

REM 788 extraction problem

Ok , new rifle is a Remington 788 , @ the range it was kicking the spent brass then scope dial knocks it back in , after a internet search this seems to be a common problem, anyone else have this problem?
    Internet solution is buy a different scope and mounting 90* turn to the left or buy high profile mounts
    I would do this on present scope but it has a three dial system
    Any suggestions before I buy a new scope and need to repeat range time sightings in

TIA
    Steve
    @ S-3 Ranch

You might try moving the scope forward or backward just fraction of an inch.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
      You might try moving the scope forward or backward just fraction of an inch.
      Yes I thought of that however the scope and rifle are coated ( pictures) , so it’s basically replacing scope because the tactical scope covers are in the way and because the coating can’t be moved.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 10-08-2021, 11:16 AM.

Comment

If that is the same one I saw advertised earlier this week with a no-name scope, I would get another GOOD scope and mounts.
        The turrets on my 788 243 look to be a little further back than yours.
        The 788s deserve a good scope with good rings. The rifles are about as accurate as you can get from a production rifle and a good scope and mounts will make it possible to realize their accuracy potential.

Comment

By the way, I don't think you need to rotate the scope, just move it, probably rearward a little.
          I've never had that problem with the one I have now, bought in '73, or the first one I had, bought in '68.

Comment

If that is a picatinny rail the scope is sitting on (hard to tell on my screen), that front scope mount is way close to the bell. And could be moved back toward the turret. That would allow you to slid the scope back some. And the rear mount could be moved forward if needed. That would allow you to move the whole scope back a good bit. And keep the scope.

Comment

Mine does it but it doesn’t bother me enough to mess with it. Looking forward to seeing your solution.

Comment

I would get taller rings at the minimum. I can not tell from that picture, if you could move the rings forward or backwards on the base. If you could move the rings. I would move them so you can slide the scope either forward or rearward.

Looks like there is a better chance of moving it rearwards. To be able to move the rings, so you can move the scope. You may have to change the base, may. I can't tell much from that picture, with the finish on the gun, base and rings.

Comment

Took it to the gunsmith for a look, he wants to replace the base and rings, which suits me fine as I want a Burris signature 2-16x 40
                  These rings are to low profile to fit much and also solve the blockage

Comment

Working...
                  X