• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
    Yes [emoji1316]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well go get 'em! Good luck!

Comment

Good luck to y'all this weekend! This sure has been a fun thread this season so far!!
      Hope you shootabiggun Tony!! Chores at home for me this weekend...

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
        East Texas hunting can get tough after the first few weeks of the woods being full of human activity. Our deer seem to vanish by second week of November, so a lot of members don't hunt much after that. Usually by the second week of December hardly anyone goes to the lease and they start showing up again at the feeders. By Christmas they are hungry and hitting the feed hard.

I've hunted East Texas deer for the past 42 years. The first 20 years I didn't feed at all, not even hand corn. I hunted trails, scrapes, and especially oaks dropping acorns, usually filling 4 deer tags during October. It wasn't until I introduced my son to hunting that I started using feeders because it was easier to sit with him in a blind watching one. For about 10 years there I was a "feeder watcher" hoping to draw the deer to me, but just didn't see the quality or numbers of deer that I saw when I was actually "hunting for them".
        My deer go through the same lull but not because of human traffic, it's because of the rut and they aren't interested in corn. When the rut winds down, the deer are down right hungry and start hitting feed sources hard. Same thing year after year.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
          My deer go through the same lull but not because of human traffic, it's because of the rut and they aren't interested in corn. When the rut winds down, the deer are down right hungry and start hitting feed sources hard. Same thing year after year.

X2 hunt the does and be ready at a moment’s notice, other wise just practice patients and prayer they make it through till post rut lol

Comment

The feeders arent getting much love anymore at my property in Newton county. The does were hitting them hard all through September and activity nosedived starting this past Monday.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jershua View Post
              Thanks for the insight - what makes you wished it would have been a week prior? No luck the last week of October or just a trend you are seeing?
              It just seemed that the best pre-rut activity was happening around the 3rd week of October. Could have been the moon or weather, but it is a trend I've been seeing.

Comment

This thread has been awfully quiet this morning

Comment

Had a decent morning at bow lease in Montgomery County. A couple young bucks and a group of does just left. Fixing to pack it in and head to my spot in Houston County for an afternoon sit.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                    Had a decent morning at bow lease in Montgomery County. A couple young bucks and a group of does just left. Fixing to pack it in and head to my spot in Houston County for an afternoon sit.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
                    Dang, she looks like she could fill a freezer. lol

Unfortunately I am not able to take advantage of this great weather this weekend. Might try couple days end of next week, but first week of November is looking to be my next long attempt.

Good luck to you and all out in the woods this weekend.

J

Comment

Any feeder activity has completely shut down, like the switch was turned off a week and half ago.

Started poking around the edge of what few oak flats we have left, and found them stocked to the gills with deer right now. Acorns are definitely where it is at right now and the corn is literally piling up (even hand corn).

Comment

All of my movement was between 7:45am and 9am. Had a 2yr old 9pt come in at 5yds and eat hand corn for a few mins and then 2 does hung out for about an hour. I had another unidentified deer comein 50yds downwind and winded me. My shooter was at the feeder yesterday morning at 7:30. The bucks have still been hitting the sweetfeed hard all week and are still eating together as of yesterday. Absolutely zero scrapes in any of the dozen or so usual locations so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                          All of my movement was between 7:45am and 9am. Had a 2yr old 9pt come in at 5yds and eat hand corn for a few mins and then 2 does hung out for about an hour. I had another unidentified deer comein 50yds downwind and winded me. My shooter was at the feeder yesterday morning at 7:30. The bucks have still been hitting the sweetfeed hard all week and are still eating together as of yesterday. Absolutely zero scrapes in any of the dozen or so usual locations so far.
                          Years ago I used to go trampling around everywhere down all the trails looking for fresh rubs and scrapes as time has gone by I quit doing that. I stay out of the woods period. It belongs to the deer and I don’t put un-needed pressure on them. At one of my locations I have a creek about 500 yards from my rifle blind. In 4 years I’ve hunted there I’ve never walked any of the many trails to the creek. I want to and probably will soon enough to find a good bow stand location. But until then I just let the deer be deer. That doesn’t make me a better hunter than anyone in fact it probably makes me less of a hunter. It’s just one of my many pet peeves when it comes to hunting. Minimize human intrusion just makes sense to me. Now along ROWs and roads I’m always looking for scrapes and rubs but seldom see any.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                            Years ago I used to go trampling around everywhere down all the trails looking for fresh rubs and scrapes as time has gone by I quit doing that. I stay out of the woods period. It belongs to the deer and I don’t put un-needed pressure on them. At one of my locations I have a creek about 500 yards from my rifle blind. In 4 years I’ve hunted there I’ve never walked any of the many trails to the creek. I want to and probably will soon enough to find a good bow stand location. But until then I just let the deer be deer. That doesn’t make me a better hunter than anyone in fact it probably makes me less of a hunter. It’s just one of my many pet peeves when it comes to hunting. Minimize human intrusion just makes sense to me. Now along ROWs and roads I’m always looking for scrapes and rubs but seldom see any.
                            Yah I definitely don't do that either. There are usually about a dozen scape locations along field edges, roads, and ROWS here but there isn't any in the usual locations that are obvious

Comment

Due to layout of my property, it is hard for me to slip into a stand on a North wind. So today I decided to cook a brisket and ribs. Had deer down the hill from the house pretty much all day eating corn. This afternoon I had 3 does and 8 bucks. 3 different bucks trailing a doe all afternoon, each one was a little bigger but nothing over the top.

2 spikes
                              A 3 point
                              A 4 point
                              7 point about 16"
                              3 8 points biggest was around 16" other two were not legal
                              9 hogs. Killed 3 of them from the porch with rifle. Original group started out at 26 and I have been taking them out over the last 2 weeks.

Comment

Looks like we got a full moon (the hunter’s moon) coming Wednesday. With the rut now kicked off, does anyone have any insight about when the best days to be in the stand would be?

Comment

Working...
                                X