No announcement yet.

speed erosion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when I went from 474gr to 612gr my total drop between 40-50 yards increased by 5". so in reality a few yards off is an inch or so error between the two..so not much.

Comment

Super cool.
      Any particular use for the number 20 and 15 overlays on the sight tapes?
      Device has a c in it.
      Thanks for sharing the info MrNewman.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
        Super cool.
        Any particular use for the number 20 and 15 overlays on the sight tapes?
        Device has a c in it.
        Thanks for sharing the info MrNewman.
        I don't know why it did that. I'm using archers advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
          I have been thinking about doing a chart just on yardage. say sight in at 20 yards then shoot at 15 and 25 and looking at the difference. then repeat say 30 yards and maybe even 40 yards.

Thanks for the kind words.
          I dont believe you will see much difference in poi until you get past 35 or 40 yards. I'd be interested to see the results..

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
            I don't know why it did that. I'm using archers advantage.
            All good.

Comment

Neat to see the data laid out. I know a lot of the “debate” hinges on which problem you’re trying to solve, so in reality this data could support either side of the arrow weight “issue”.

I’ve always wondered if I was allowing too much time at 40 yards by shooting a slower arrow on something like an elk. Looks like it’s not as large of a difference as I thought. But, after seeing some yardage tapes, I believe that it’s going to be “easier” to be accurate at a distance with a moderate weight arrow than a heavy one. That reduced weight accounts for errors in yardage and gives me the ability to use one pin for a wider range of distance.

I’ve got the components to build out a 465-ish grain arrow, and I think I’m gonna go ahead and do it thanks to your info!

Comment

Originally posted by popup_menace View Post
                Neat to see the data laid out. I know a lot of the “debate” hinges on which problem you’re trying to solve, so in reality this data could support either side of the arrow weight “issue”.

I’ve always wondered if I was allowing too much time at 40 yards by shooting a slower arrow on something like an elk. Looks like it’s not as large of a difference as I thought. But, after seeing some yardage tapes, I believe that it’s going to be “easier” to be accurate at a distance with a moderate weight arrow than a heavy one. That reduced weight accounts for errors in yardage and gives me the ability to use one pin for a wider range of distance.

I’ve got the components to build out a 465-ish grain arrow, and I think I’m gonna go ahead and do it thanks to your info!
                In reality if the pins are close together any amount of movement is going to cause a greater error. Think about it.... if your natural movement is *** for a wide gap and tight gap pin then clearly the tighter gap pin will have a greater ranging error with the same movement. Not sure if you get what I am saying, but think about it. I have always just felt more clarity in long range with a little more "space to view the target"

if your pins are 1/8" apart for 20-30 yards and your breathing causes 1/16" movement you are 5 yards off ranging error at some point in your shot from your breathing. double the distance of pins and half the error. slower speeds are not twice the drop and not even close. this is an exaggerated error but the principal is easy to understand
                Last edited by Tom; 10-14-2021, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X