No announcement yet.

WE GOT DRAWN!! Powederhorn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats fellas. PHWMA is a very unique place to experience. Read last years thread. My father, brother & I took 3 Sambar Stags & 1 axis buck. Passed on legal WT bucks & does as we weren't necessarily hunting for them nor did we need any more meat obviously. I could have taken close to a dozen sambar over the 2 days. It is a short hunt, so prepare for hunting all day. A trophy axis the best animal there in my opinion. I mistakenly shot the wrong axis buck(it already shed its antlers).

It was not a difficult hunt at all. Those sambar are stupid in my opinion(accustom to vehicles). Ask the staff about their behavior. The staff is top notch, very pleasant, helpful and informative. They are there to help and promote hunting. Literally, they haul azz to recover your animals all day long!

I don't suggest sitting in the blinds, go actually hunt them and you will have success. DM me any questions you have.

Good luck and enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Jbarr and I did this hunt two years ago. We shot. Two Sambar. One axis doe. One axis buck 31” and two white tail bucks

Comment

If we ever get drawn again. I’m killing my Sambar with a bow

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
          If we ever get drawn again. I’m killing my Sambar with a bow
          Right, I said the same thing while there. I could have speared this one 10 yards from my truck. My brother head shot his at 18yds, just a mere 30 yards from where the stag I shot laid. I should post that video but not sure if it'll last on YouTube

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
              Right, I said the same thing while there. I could have speared this one 10 yards from my truck. My brother head shot his at 18yds, just a mere 30 yards from where the stag I shot laid. I should post that video but not sure if it'll last on YouTube

That’s awesome!! We were wondering if you could shoot a bow? What distance would we want to be dialed in at, at the most for rifle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like we should have good odds lol! Knowing my luck I won't see a dang thing!

Comment

Based on what I saw on some research TPWD was encouraging neck shots on Sambar so they didn’t have to track in thick brush or marshes as that can be difficult

Comment

Originally posted by Jzoch View Post
                    That’s awesome!! We were wondering if you could shoot a bow? What distance would we want to be dialed in at, at the most for rifle?

We passed on that sambar stag. My father nor I were interested in sticking a 300WIN out the window and shooting the thing that could careless about an idling diesel at 10 yards, as there wasn't much sport or challenge in that. Did not fit our taste for a hunt, hope that doesn't bum y'all out. The reason he was bedded and did not get up is because mainly some sambar are accustom to vehicles and also they don't like to move in cold weather.

Our shots were 50yds, 150yds, 18yds, 110yds. You can shoot as far as you want out there in many places, but you can cut the distance like we did. The scrub oak brush sucks to walk through, but its possible in places. The wet marshy stuff is what they prefer, good rubber boots are needed.

Comment

Originally posted by bmac View Post
                      Based on what I saw on some research TPWD was encouraging neck shots on Sambar so they didn’t have to track in thick brush or marshes as that can be difficult

This is the reason they said hell no to my mentioning of using a bow. They don't want the track job. Albeit, a good shot will prevent a miserable track most of the time.

Comment

Just let you dad sit on the hood of the truck. He is the luckiest hunter I know. First he learns everything he knows from a man named Wilkins, and last year I guided him to a 6x6 elk on his first ever archery elk hunt, and now he draws MY Powderhorn hunt. That's it, you tell him I'm done with him. I'm going to have to check my elk hunt list and see if ya'll are still on it. 😁

Comment

Originally posted by RibcageX View Post
                          Just let you dad sit on the hood of the truck. He is the luckiest hunter I know. First he learns everything he knows from a man named Wilkins, and last year I guided him to a 6x6 elk on his first ever archery elk hunt, and now he draws MY Powderhorn hunt. That's it, you tell him I'm done with him. I'm going to have to check my elk hunt list and see if ya'll are still on it. 😁
                          Oh buddy oh pal! I gave you a break this year. Wait for next year. Haha

Comment

Just let you dad sit on the hood of the truck. He is the luckiest hunter I know. First he learns everything he knows from a man named Wilkins, and last year I guided him to a 6x6 elk on his first ever archery elk hunt, and now he draws MY Powderhorn hunt. That's it, you tell him I'm done with him. I'm going to have to check my elk hunt list and see if ya'll are still on it. [emoji16]

Might have to leave him back at the camp after being reminded how lucky he is. Haha. I’m not as lucky so you can definitely save me a spot on the elk hunt next year. Haha

Comment

Yeah, your right. I can't hold you accountable for him. Besides, he was a pretty good camp cook and cleaner up-per.

Comment

Yeah, your right. I can't hold you accountable for him. Besides, he was a pretty good camp cook and cleaner up-per.

I appreciate your understanding. Haha

Comment

Working...
                                X