No announcement yet.

ag vs wildlife exemption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You e got five years of increasing taxes to deal with if you don’t have an ag exemption. I’ll never buy another piece of property without it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
      You e got five years of increasing taxes to deal with if you don’t have an ag exemption. I’ll never buy another piece of property without it.
      Yep, I'm in that boat now. I bought my place 8 years ago and the previous owner let his run out. I've been slowly fixing fences so I can get a few cows and start getting my 5 years on the books. Like you said tho, I'll pay dearly for the next 5 years for my procrastination thus far. Hopefully by January I'll be ready. I don't intend to ever buy another one but if I do, it will have ag already.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Capp35 View Post
        Also, there are people that will put Bee hives on your property to get you the Ag exemption, if you don't have livestock or farm.
        Bee exemption is for properties between 5-20 acres if I’m not mistaken

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
          Ag (1-D-1) or Wildlife Exemptions are for property tax relief for each county. You apply for this with the county.

The State Comptroller's Office has sales tax exemptions for those involved in agricultural practices when buying certain goods. You have to apply for this with the state and get a certificate.

Both of these really have nothing to do with the other.

You can have a wildlife exemption for your property taxes and still have a sales tax exemption under Ag. Two totally different things.
          ditto.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
            Ag (1-D-1) or Wildlife Exemptions are for property tax relief for each county. You apply for this with the county.

The State Comptroller's Office has sales tax exemptions for those involved in agricultural practices when buying certain goods. You have to apply for this with the state and get a certificate.

Both of these really have nothing to do with the other.

You can have a wildlife exemption for your property taxes and still have a sales tax exemption under Ag. Two totally different things.
            Lots of folks need to re-read this as it is 100% correct. Two entirely different things. Part of the problem is in the terminology used. For county tax purposes, there is no ag or wildlife 'exemption'. It is a 'valuation', or, how your property is valued for tax purposes. There is no difference at all between the ag valuation (1-D-1) and the wildlife valuation as they are the same thing. Wildlife Management is just a qualifying use to maintain the ag. You never really switch anything. If you do wildlife management, you are still in ag. The sales tax exemption is handled through the comptrollers office. Entirely different.

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
              Yep, I'm in that boat now. I bought my place 8 years ago and the previous owner let his run out. I've been slowly fixing fences so I can get a few cows and start getting my 5 years on the books. Like you said tho, I'll pay dearly for the next 5 years for my procrastination thus far. Hopefully by January I'll be ready. I don't intend to ever buy another one but if I do, it will have ag already.

Check out the Ecolab program. It provides access to private property for ecological research. I purchased the initial part of my property without an ag or wildlife exemption and was not looking forward to 5 years of ag production to get an exemption.

Basically you enroll in the program and provide a profile of the property. Different researchers review properties and then submit proposals about what they want to study. You get matched up with a few researchers and you provide grant money to the universities (TAMU, tu, Tech, etc.). These grants are tax deductible donations to university. When I went thru the program it only lasted two years and then I was immediately granted a wildlife exemption. Looking at the firm that I worked with it looks like they have extended the duration but it may still be worth it.

The research, at least in my case, was not invasive at all. Each of the research teams visited the property probably 3 times or less. Some of the studies were:
              -Looking for invasive crazy ants - didnt find any
              -Lice impacts on pocket gophers - they dug a few holes to try and trap pocket gophers and took a few samples away
              -Sugars in johnson grass - just pulled up a handful of sample plants
              -Bug samples for TAMU - I can now say my bugs are part of the largest bug collection in the world!

This is the law firm that helped me - you pay them a few bucks but they handle the whole thing. Definitely worth investigating!
              https://braungresham.com/texas-ecolab/

Comment

Originally posted by dropTopTx View Post
                Check out the Ecolab program. It provides access to private property for ecological research. I purchased the initial part of my property without an ag or wildlife exemption and was not looking forward to 5 years of ag production to get an exemption.

Basically you enroll in the program and provide a profile of the property. Different researchers review properties and then submit proposals about what they want to study. You get matched up with a few researchers and you provide grant money to the universities (TAMU, tu, Tech, etc.). These grants are tax deductible donations to university. When I went thru the program it only lasted two years and then I was immediately granted a wildlife exemption. Looking at the firm that I worked with it looks like they have extended the duration but it may still be worth it.

The research, at least in my case, was not invasive at all. Each of the research teams visited the property probably 3 times or less. Some of the studies were:

-Looking for invasive crazy ants - didnt find any

-Lice impacts on pocket gophers - they dug a few holes to try and trap pocket gophers and took a few samples away

-Sugars in johnson grass - just pulled up a handful of sample plants

-Bug samples for TAMU - I can now say my bugs are part of the largest bug collection in the world!

This is the law firm that helped me - you pay them a few bucks but they handle the whole thing. Definitely worth investigating!

https://braungresham.com/texas-ecolab/
                Thanks, I'll definitely look into that.

Comment

Working...
                X