Wild rice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wild rice

Anyone eat wild rice much? I know it's not real rice but that's what they call it.

I made some today sent to me from Oneeye. I cooked it 40 minutes in extra water, drained the water and added a little beef broth and cooked another 10 minutes. It was really good.

At first look on the internet it appears to be much healthier than regular rice. So I'll be looking for ways to cook it and eat it with.

BTW - On TBH when you use the search feature. Is there a way to search for "wild rice" and get results for just wild rice and not every post with wild or rice in it?

In case you did not know... Not saying its bad I likee too..

Despite its name, wild rice is not rice at all. Although it is the seed of an aquatic grass like rice, it's not directly related to it. ... Wild rice was originally grown and harvested by Native Americans, who have used the grain as a staple food for hundreds of years

Comment

Never knew it was not rice, but I can make myself sick on the stuff. It’s that good lol

Comment

I love the stuff.

Comment

Love it too did not know it was not rice.

Comment

So how do you guys eat it? Just as a side or cooked into dishes?

Comment

I've always put it in the crock pot with pork. Also make duck/dove in the crockpot with cream of mushroom soup and other ingredients and put it over wild rice. My dad use to make all kinds of stuff with it.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                Anyone eat wild rice much? I know it's not real rice but that's what they call it.

I made some today sent to me from Oneeye. I cooked it 40 minutes in extra water, drained the water and added a little beef broth and cooked another 10 minutes. It was really good.

At first look on the internet it appears to be much healthier than regular rice. So I'll be looking for ways to cook it and eat it with.

BTW - On TBH when you use the search feature. Is there a way to search for "wild rice" and get results for just wild rice and not every post with wild or rice in it?
                Does it grow in only fresh water, or both fresh and salt?

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                  So how do you guys eat it? Just as a side or cooked into dishes?

Mainly as a side .

Comment

I grew up in Northern MN which is a huge supplier of wild rice...we ate it as a side, a main...pretty much everything....it's a pretty versatile grain that you can do a whole lot with and it picks up the flavor of what you cook it with.....#getinmybelly

Comment

Side dish except in scrambled eggs.

My wife puts green/white raisins and diced carrots in it and we have it often with fish. Im always hungry two hours after those meals. I prefer no carrots and no raisins.

I really like cooking chopped sausages up and mixing leftover cooked wild rice into a mess load of raw farm fresh scrambled eggs then sausage goes into raw egg /cooked wild rice with some salt and minced garlic slurry...mix...then back into the skillet. The kids always eat it up and it holds them well into the afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by EliteDriver View Post
                        I grew up in Northern MN which is a huge supplier of wild rice...we ate it as a side, a main...pretty much everything....it's a pretty versatile grain that you can do a whole lot with and it picks up the flavor of what you cook it with.....#getinmybelly
                        Tell us how to cook it. A buddy from Minn sent me some.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                          Side dish except in scrambled eggs.

My wife puts green/white raisins and diced carrots in it and we have it often with fish. Im always hungry two hours after those meals. I prefer no carrots and no raisins.

I really like cooking chopped sausages up and mixing leftover cooked wild rice into a mess load of raw farm fresh scrambled eggs then sausage goes into raw egg /cooked wild rice with some salt and minced garlic slurry...mix...then back into the skillet. The kids always eat it up and it holds them well into the afternoon.
                          Post a picture of this.. Sounds great.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                            Never knew it was not rice, but I can make myself sick on the stuff. It’s that good lol
                            Myself! Never knew it wasn’t rice!

Comment

We use it in fish soup

Comment

Working...
                              X