Arkansas Archery Bear Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arkansas Archery Bear Hunt

Well, it's official! I'm going to be hunting the bow opener in Arkansas (Zone 1) in hopes of finally bagging my bruin and accomplishing a bucket list archery harvest that's been a dream for years now.

I was graciously given access to 20 acres of land that butts up to the Ozark National Forest, and since it's private property, baiting is legal. I'll be making a scouting trip up there in mid-September to make sure the stands are solid, and load up the bait barrels with goodies. Then I'll return two days before season opens, rebait the barrels, check the cams, and relax before the hunt begins!

Since you can't bait in the National Forest, this spot is an absolute bear goldmine, and the landowner told me that almost every hunter (he and his buddies, in past years) have always got their bear on opening weekend, since there is such an abundance of them up there.

I'll be bringing my cameras and filming the hunt, as well as hopefully taking lots of great LDP's!

Any advice for a first time bear hunter in this state?

Don't leave your picnic basket laying around. Seriously though, good luck. Can't wait to see what you get.

Comment

Congrats! I'm excited for you!

Comment

Best of luck

Comment

Good Luck! I've tried for them a couple of times, and it seems that the first weekend is really the time. I've had one spot that had a bear on it like clockwork every single day for weeks, and then switch schedules a couple days after the opener. Your plan sounds great, I've got high hopes for you.

Comment

Originally posted by duckboy007 View Post
            Good Luck! I've tried for them a couple of times, and it seems that the first weekend is really the time. I've had one spot that had a bear on it like clockwork every single day for weeks, and then switch schedules a couple days after the opener. Your plan sounds great, I've got high hopes for you.
            From what I've been told, success is intimately tied to the fall of the hard mast. When the acorns drop, the bears just camp under a tree and eat, eat, eat - and then have zero interest in hitting bait barrels. So if that starts happening just before season, then the hunting supposedly gets a LOT more difficult.

Comment

Just pray the acorns don’t start falling before opening day! If they do, the Arkansas bears will completely desert the baits!!!! Been there, done that!

Good luck!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Good luck man. My insurance agent has a place up there and he's constantly sending me pics of all the bears in his yard. He said they are the biggest nuisance in the world.

Comment

Hopefully you’ll get you one! What county are you hunting?

Comment

Sneaky is a master at baitin' so I know he'll seal the deal!!

Just make sure you clean up all the acorns in a 5 mile radius and you'll be gtg

Comment

I hunted 3 years ago just outside of Mulberry and got my first bear on the first weekend. A lot of bears in this area and like you, I was sitting about 20 yds from the Nat'l. Forest line and my Boar was still on Doughnuts and cookies.

Best of luck to you.

Doug Key

Comment

Only a week until we drive up for the scouting and feed barrel filling! Any reports on if acorns are falling in the Fayetteville area?

---

IG: greekbowhunter
                        Greek Bowhunter. 4,802 次赞. Bowhunter, Powerlifter, Wild Game Chef

Comment

Originally posted by Sneaky View Post
                          Only a week until we drive up for the scouting and feed barrel filling! Any reports on if acorns are falling in the Fayetteville area?

---

IG: greekbowhunter
                          www.facebook.com/killtoeat
                          There’s a few falling at my house, so they’re probably starting a little over there. Nothing major that I’ve noticed though. Bears should be on baits good the next few weeks. I just hope it cools down!

Comment

Acorns are beginning to drop at my house also, but I’m a ways south of Fayetteville.
                            Logging has a bunch to do with their patterns also.
                            Fayetteville has a large border, what side of town are you hunting? I would guess due south?

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like a heck of a spot. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X