Darton & Stan R Were Right!!!!! Pic Heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Booner Sooner View Post
    This first batch of protein was Shawnee Feed Super 20 range & breeder cubes. 20% crude protein. It was $8 per 50lbs. Picked it up at Burdine Farm Supply in Eufaula per Darton’s recommendation. Good folks to do bidness with. Funny. When I walked in and asked for 300 lbs. of protein she asked what I was feeding. When I said deer she started ringing up some $20 per 50lbs. AntlerMax....whoa there, I said. Let’s go with the $7 per 50lbs. variety. Give me something with a cow on the bag and not a deer. Batabing-bataboom, $8/50lbs.

If they have a 16% cube a little cheaper I’ll likely go with that next time. This was the very first time I ever bought protein so I’m learning.
    Your right a big buck on the bag makes it a lot more expensive! Please keep us posted on how they like it.

Comment

I am curious how the coonhoods work as well. I currently use timed protein feeders. I want to get one more feeder and if the coonhoods work I will get a free choice type feeder.
      I have been using sportsman's choice protein. I pay 7.50 for 50lb bag. I filled the protein feeders in December and deer have been eating every pellet. I am going back first weekend in February and i will probably increase feedings at that time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

We got back up to the hilltop this past weekend and it was good to pull through the gate knowing everything was just as we left it in January. It was in the low 20’s on Friday night so the wood stove got a real workout!

I ran cameras on Friday night as I was excited to see how the CoonHoods did. I was very curious to see how the deer acclaimed to the protein. It took them about 10 days but once they got comfortable with the Boss Buck they hit it morning and evening like clockwork.

I’ve got five different little bucks and seven or eight does hitting the feeder. With me filling it up around January 6th I fully expected the 300 lb feeder to be completely empty. To my pleasant surprise it still had 50 lbs in it!

I only have three or four video clips of coons with only one of them climbing on the feeder! The rest was of them trying to reach up and grab some pellets off the lip.

The deer are comfortable and I’m convinced that the CoonHoods are already in the process of paying for themselves!

Haden mailed me the catch trays for my 3-way and I installed them.

Will practiced more on his marksmanship with the Browning .22. It does my heart good to see him trying his darndest to burn through a brick of longrifle shells.[emoji1] we have no WiFi and only an antenna that picks up a handful of channels. This = go outside and shoot stuff!

Our harem of does continue to hit the green field and corn feeders like clockwork.

We emptied and disconnected the corn feeders and pulled all of our cameras except the one on the protein feeder and one on our road/entrance.

After attempting to rework and retrofit the Game Winner 550 corn feeder to take a Boss Buck 4-way tube I ran into a fatal flaw with the legs. Rather than delaying things for a couple of months I passed on the CoonHoods for the Boss Buck 4-way to Darton. I helped him get his AllSeasons protein feeder set up.

Hoping he has great success. His coons are professional ninja warrior protein thieves so if the CoonHoods work here they will work anywhere!

Comment

Nice update!

Comment

Very nice ! Thanks for the update!

Comment

Everything looks great! Thanks to you and COONHOOD I feel I will finally get the upper hand! Looking to head out Saturday to check the status and will report back

Comment

Originally posted by Darton View Post
                Everything looks great! Thanks to you and COONHOOD I feel I will finally get the upper hand! Looking to head out Saturday to check the status and will report back
                No problem Darton! Glad I could help out! Look forward to seeing your update!

Comment

For some reason or other I have never opened this thread until now. This is a great thread, and I can't believe I missed it all this time. Booner, congrats on your land purchase and the progress and successes that you've had. Great to see the kiddos hunting too !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                    For some reason or other I have never opened this thread until now. This is a great thread, and I can't believe I missed it all this time. Booner, congrats on your land purchase and the progress and successes that you've had. Great to see the kiddos hunting too !

Drycreek, this is probably because there are just so darn many good and informative threads started by high thinking, deer hunting enthusiasts going on this site! [emoji41]

Thanks for catching up and following along. This will likely turn into a “project and guided hunt for my kids” oriented thread for a while but it should be fun!

Comment

Love your new place. And as always BOOMER SOONER!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Reddog500 View Post
                        Love your new place. And as always BOOMER SOONER!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Jon!

Comment

Darton & Stan R Were Right!!!!! Pic Heavy

Was able to get back up to the Hilltop this Easter weekend and what a weekend it was. Cycled the cam watching over the boss buck and found that the CoonHoods have the coons befuddled. 99% of the time if a coon was on camera they were on the ground eating what the deer dropped. I do have one long armed Coon that can reach one of the hoods that is pulling himself up.

I raised the feeder before refilling it. That should take care of that little guy.

This past summer I pushed up some piles of pallets, limbs, and assorted junk while I cleared a food plot. Conditions this weekend were perfect for lighting them up. The kids had a blast.

These are on the East side of my main food plot so with a little front end loader work and another burn we should be 100% cleared. Once this is done I’ll scrape the top few inches of dirt to get rid of the nails and we should be ready for our next planting.

This past summer and fall it felt like we were always rushing, rushing, rushing to get things done in time for the season. So far we’ve pulled it back out of high gear and just enjoyed the journey. A little tractor time, watching the kids ride four wheelers, walking trails, and sitting on the porch drinking a cup of coffee with friends and family as the sun comes up.....that’s what it’s about right now.
                          Last edited by Booner Sooner; 04-22-2019, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Booner Sooner View Post
                            Was able to get back up to the Hilltop this Easter weekend and what a weekend it was. Cycled the cam watching over the boss buck and found that the CoonHoods have the coons befuddled. 99% of the time if a coon was on camera they were on the ground eating what the deer dropped. I do have one long armed Coon that can reach one of the hoods that is pulling himself up. I raised the feeder before refilling it. That should take care of that little guy.

This past summer I pushed up some piles of pallets, limbs, and assorted junk while I cleared a food plot. Conditions this weekend were perfect for lighting them up. The kids had a blast.

These are on the East side of my main food plot so with a little front end loader work and another burn we should be 100% cleared. Once this is done I’ll scrape the top few inches of dirt to get rid of the nails and we should be ready for our next planting.

This past summer and fall it felt like we were always rushing, rushing, rushing to get things done in time for the season. So far we’ve pulled it back out of high gear and just enjoyed the journey. A little tractor time, watching the kids ride four wheelers, walking trails, and sitting on the porch drinking a cup of coffee with friends and family as the sun comes up.....that’s what it’s about right now.
                            I completely concur, this last weekend was one of the more enjoyable trips we have had. Still did lot of work but it’s was more “fun” work than normal. About to be at the more enjoyable time this summer. I love sitting on the porch having a drink and just listening to the wind blow and birds chirp.
                            I could move out there tomorrow and never miss a beat. My wife isn’t as enthusiatic.

Comment

Way to enjoy the time with your Family! Congrats!

Comment

Looks ya'll had a great relaxing weekend! Glad to see the coonhoods are working good!

Comment

Working...
                                X