2020 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scotty View Post
    Mulched the garden today and picked a little asparagus between the showers.

I just planted my first asparagus plants today. Can't wait till next season. How many asparagus come off a single plant?

Comment

Got started on the planting last night but got too dark. Finished it up today. Put up the cattle panel arches for the cucumbers to climb. Going to wait to put out the tomato cages until I know we won't get a frost.
      Got tomatoes, bell peppers, sweet peppers, okra, squash, zucchini, spaghetti squash, peas, green beans, cantaloupe, pickling cucumbers, and slicing cucumbers.

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
        I just planted my first asparagus plants today. Can't wait till next season. How many asparagus come off a single plant?

My asparagus plants have been in the ground three years. I planted five, one year old crowns. So technically they are four years old. I didn’t harvest any the first year of growth, as you need to let them mature. The second and third years I picked up until the first of May. Let them go to fern to further mature. This year I can pick all I want.
        I’m getting around six to eight spears every other day now. They grow much faster when it’s warm. I’m sure I’ll be harvesting every day pretty soon.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
          My asparagus plants have been in the ground three years. I planted five, one year old crowns. So technically they are four years old. I didn’t harvest any the first year of growth, as you need to let them mature. The second and third years I picked up until the first of May. Let them go to fern to further mature. This year I can pick all I want.
          I’m getting around six to eight spears every other day now. They grow much faster when it’s warm. I’m sure I’ll be harvesting every day pretty soon.
          What kind of space is that size of set taking up? I would love to grow asparagus but have limited space.

Comment

2020 Gardening thread

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
            What kind of space is that size of set taking up? I would love to grow asparagus but have limited space.

My raised bed box is made of 2x12’s.
            12’ long x 1’ wide.
            Because asparagus is a long lived perennial, I would make it out of something more permanent than wood. When mine finally starts rotting, I’m going to frame the wood frame I have now in a composite structure as to not disturb the roots. I’ve read that asparagus really don’t like to have their roots messed with.
            Here’s a better look at it.

Last edited by scotty; 03-28-2020, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Got the planting done today. Enjoyed having the expansion onto the raised bed. Put up the cattle panel arches for the cucumbers to climb but going to wait on the tomato cages until I know it won't frost.
              Put in tomatoes, bell peppers, sweet peppers, green beans, peas, okra, asparagus, squash, zucchini, cantaloupes, pickling cucumbers and slicing cucumbers.

Comment

Well, my neighbor got arrested for growing marijuana! Apparently I do not know where the property line is......Just kidding

We have had our garden in the ground since Feb. 14. Its looking good but haven't got any pictures. Hopefully I'll remember to get some this week when we head up to the farm.

Comment

Guess I can post this here. Built this for the little lady today. Will be finishing a second one tomorrow. Don’t know what the little lady plans on putting in them yet.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Okay, who wants to build this? [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb12934hIrw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb12934hIrw[/ame]

Comment

Better late than never we got our garden going today tilled and planted squash,zucchini,tomatoes,green beans, some radish, kale, and peppers. Not to overboard this year lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                        Anyone ever planted mustang grapes and been successful?

Tips and tricks?

Grow wild on my fence. Just planted some wine vines. Tempranillo and a Spanish white I cant pronounce. The Tempranillo has to be growing two inches a day... maybe we can make some vino in 3 years or so

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Following this. Just got a small container garden going on this year. Super busy and not quite situation in the new place. I have a great location picked for next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

wow burpee and bonnie seeds are sold out on most of there veg seeds. better save your seeds this season.

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
                              Got started on the planting last night but got too dark. Finished it up today. Put up the cattle panel arches for the cucumbers to climb. Going to wait to put out the tomato cages until I know we won't get a frost.
                              Got tomatoes, bell peppers, sweet peppers, okra, squash, zucchini, spaghetti squash, peas, green beans, cantaloupe, pickling cucumbers, and slicing cucumbers.
                              That looks awesome. Post some updates on the cucumbers.

Comment

Going on 4 years now of 100% organic gardening. And slowly accepting that in my area...there will just be some vegetable I will NOT be able to grow no matter what, If I rely solely on this homeopathic organic crap pesticides. Watched the last of my eggplants disappear this morning. They could barely stand straight with the amount of neemoil I coated them in last night. Thinking the neemoil just helped the bugs wash it down easier.

Comment

Working...
                                X