“Stand by” what’s it mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
    I try to post that on all the hunts I can't go on!
    James I would gladly share any info with you. Have the greatest respect for you and your son. Had fun on our last hunt and hope to see you on a hunt in the future.
    James and I would go out our way to help a fellow THB hunter in the field.

Comment

Originally posted by Palehorse View Post
      Back in the old days when you could only pick one hunt out of each category, you could post some really nice pics and info on a hunt and get a lot of folks to apply for that hunt. Then, you apply for one of the lesser known honey holes and improve your odds of being selected. It doesn't work like that now. Now the best tactic is to pour yourself a big ole cup of STFU and hope others do the same.
      Sad but true. Would you share your fishing honey hole or that small grove of White Oaks in the SHNF in a public forum that you found after a couple of seasons of hard work, time & gas?

Comment

Originally posted by txhunt7 View Post
        loaded question but what are the practical odds you're selected? I know it varies place to place but hearing practical outcomes would be good
        Can be crazy too. Heard last year Granger had 500 people show for 15 spots.

Comment

Originally posted by ABWGTX View Post
          Sad but true. Would you share your fishing honey hole or that small grove of White Oaks in the SHNF in a public forum that you found after a couple of seasons of hard work, time & gas?

I’ve got a few spots like that. Don’t think I’ll take even my first born to the spot! Lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Blank View Post
            Make sure you understand what the manager is telling you. They may say number of cards drawn (with up to 4 names per card), or number of spots available and will draw until they get the number they want.

If they draw one card, your odds improve if you can get people to fill the cards completely
            The down side is hunting styles and having to hunt with this per the Manager at a unnamed facility. They use to encourage this until two pair of hunters used different methods and the ***** storm the manager didn't want to hear. One pair were stand hunters. The other pair were stalk hunters. The two styles don't mix.
            This all depends on how the hunt is setup. If units are assigned it can be an issue. Talk about this before jumping on someone's card.
            Last edited by ABWGTX; 11-25-2019, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blank View Post
              Make sure you understand what the manager is telling you. They may say number of cards drawn (with up to 4 names per card), or number of spots available and will draw until they get the number they want.

If they draw one card, your odds improve if you can get people to fill the cards completely
              The down side is hunting styles and having to hunt with this per the Manager at a unnamed facility. They use to encourage this until two pair of hunters used different methods and the ***** storm the manager didn't want to hear. One pair were stand hunters. The other pair were stalk hunters. The two styles don't mix. Talk before jumping on a card.

Comment

Originally posted by joel45acp View Post
                So, I (son included) applied for several hog and deer hunts around the Choke canyon lake area, but didn’t get selected. I’ve read in various threads about “stand-by”. What exactly does that mean? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
                Seems like some other people accurately described what a stand by is. For further reference when drawn hunters can’t make it to the hunt rather than leaving the compartment or blind open the the hunt administrator can fill it with a hunter or group of hunters that show up and stand by for a spot to open. Typically they know ahead of time which hunters aren’t going to make it and will know how many stand bys will be available. My advise is if you have questions about a particular hunt call the number provided on the brochure for the hunt. That way all the information is first hand.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                  I try to post that on all the hunts I can't go on!
                  Some men just want to watch the world burn...

Comment

Originally posted by ABWGTX View Post
                    Can be crazy too. Heard last year Granger had 500 people show for 15 spots.
                    That is very close to correct!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                      That is very close to correct!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                      And still better odds than the original drawing ...

Comment

Originally posted by txhunt7 View Post
                        loaded question but what are the practical odds you're selected? I know it varies place to place but hearing practical outcomes would be good
                        here's first hand knowledge for you. Kerr WMA had no standby positions but stilled pulled one (1) card and hunted those 4 persons. There were 32 people showed up for that chance. We went home after the drawing :-) Got's lots more first knowledge for you

Comment

Thanks WT.

Comment

Working...
                          X